Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Select what positions we should take with our 1st 3 picks in the draft

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cornerback

0 0%
  • Defensive Line

38 73.08%
  • Linebacker

3 5.77%
  • Offensive Line

47 90.38%
  • Quarterback

3 5.77%
  • Running Back

4 7.69%
  • Safety

25 48.08%
  • Tight End

0 0%
  • Wide Receiver

0 0%
  • Other? (seriously? you picking other? explain)

2 3.85%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    ^so you see Ratliff gone?
    conduct detrimental to team. I wonder if they might try to void some of his game checks with a lengthy suspension...

Ratliff isn't a team first guy, if we can afford it, I would try to trade him. Sad because he had an opportunity to light it up in this defensive front.

vCash
    I agree, he could've prevented this. If he stays I'm guessing he plays 4 games. An injury of some sort will sideline him

vCash
    The main thing I want to see is a smart pick and not a sexy pick. This is a good draft for Oline and Dline so as long as Jerry doesnt get rose colored glasses for a "skilled" position we should be good,

vCash
    Jerry better go with the "smart" pick not the "sexy" one Im tired of hearing about Jerry, even though I believe we would hear alot less about him if we have a season like we all want.

vCash
    welcome brick

and, I fear that JJ will follow the "don't draft OL in round #1 since you just did a few years ago"...that is nonsense...get someone to shore up the OL, and then go DL in the 2nd...I wouldn't be upset if they reversed that if the trend was DL getting drafted ahead of us...we need both in this draft

vCash
    Making a couple changes to my previous post.

FA: RT Andre Smith or Phil Loadholt (I had Vollmer here at 1st but he is coming off injury plus Loadholt is younger and probably better), DT Henry Melton (if Ratliff is gone), re-sign Felix Jones (I want Reggie Bush but he will be to expensive to be a backup/change of pace RB).

Draft:
    1st rd. Jonathon Cooper OG UNC (RT and RG are the biggest needs on this team imo even with the defensive front switch and this guy is easily a top 15-20 talent)
    2nd rd. Sylvester Williams DT UNC (Big body to take on the double teams free up Rat or Melton to do their thing)
    3rd rd. Jamie Collins OLB S. Miss. (See previous post)
    4th rd. TJ McDonald FS (Rambo's and Thomas' stock have gone up and TJ is well versed in this defense)
    5th rd. Kenjon Barner RB Oregon
    6th rd. Devin Taylor DE S. Carolina

Starting DL Hatcher (loses 10 lbs.)/Williams/Rat or Melton/Ware
    Reserves Crawford/Price/Lissemore/Taylor
    Last edited by C-Mac; 01-31-2013 at 01:31 PM.

vCash
    I think someone posted about trading Ware and I think most people killed the poster for it, I may have even been one of those people. I am going to merge two ideas from two articles that I have read. One includes trading Ware for a second and third round picks in this draft, and the second includes trading out of the first round with Cincinnati.

I took a quick look at the current draft order and was able to find a possible trade partner for my purposes, based on the current data (which of course is subject to change). Using the Draft Pick Value Calculator that OCC so conveniently provided a link for, I came up with the following trade with the Cincinnati Bengals: Dallas trades the 18th pick (900 points) for the 37th and 55th pick, both in the second, and the 182nd, in the sixth (899.6). Dallas loses only .4 in value, and now has eight picks.
    Looking at a chance to solidify the play of both lines for the forseeable future, would they be willing to accept a second and a third round pick in the upcoming draft? If so would another team be willing to make such an offer? For me, if I felt certain that they could get a impact defensive tackle with their own first round draft pick, followed by a day one starter at offensive guard and a pass rushing defensive end in the second round, backed up with another solid guard and a player at a position of need in the third; I would seriously consider the deal.
    My suggestion would obviously involve trading out of the first round, but I think there is still value to build a very strong team for the future. We would have the 37th, 49th, and 55th, picks in the second round including our own pick (49th), plus whatever second round pick we got in the Ware transaction, resulting in four picks in the second round.

I am using the current Draftek list of prospects. The number is where the player is on the Draftek list. I started at 35, since it is a player the Cowboys are interested in, and sometimes players get pushed down a few spots.

35. Sharrif Floyd DT Florida

37. Jesse Williams DT Alabama

38. Ezekiel Ansah DE BYU

39. Barrett Jones C/G Alabama

43. Eric Reid FS LSU

44. Alex Okafor DE Texas

46. Zac Dysert QB Miami (Ohio)

47. Sylvester Williams DT North Carolina

48. Matt Elam SS Florida

49. Eddie Lacy RB Alabama

51. Tyler Bray QB Tennessee

52. Larry Warford G Kentucky

55. Matt Barkley QB USC

56. William Gholston DE Michigan State

57. Michael Buchanan DE Illinois

59. Andre Ellington RB Clemson

61. Travis Frederick C/G Wisconsin

64. Mike Glennon QB North Carolina St
    I would say that we could get Sharif Floyd, Jesse Williams, or Sylvester Williams, which would satisfy our need for a DT. We could then go after Ezekiel Ansah or Alex Okafor as a DE. We could then get Eric Reid who is probably the best Safety in the draft and failing that we could get Matt Elam who is also highly regarded. With our final second round pick we could get Larry Warford, a well respected OG from Kentucky.

In the third round we could pick Tyrann Mathieu and Marcus Lattimore or an OLB or WR.

In the fourth we could select Michael Buchanan who should be a good/great DE once he puts size back on.

Just a thought but I don't think it is a bad one, and could set us up for success for years to come.

vCash
    Absolutely do not trade ware for a 2nd and 3rd pick. This is not the year to trade ware, if you do you are basically saying your rebuilding, and not playing for a superbowl, and if thats the case we should get picks for romo and witten also.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bullishsince87 View Post
    Absolutely do not trade ware for a 2nd and 3rd pick. This is not the year to trade ware, if you do you are basically saying your rebuilding, and not playing for a superbowl, and if thats the case we should get picks for romo and witten also.
    I see what you are saying, but I don't think we'd get much for Witten, who is a mainstay and a necessity for any QB, Romo or other. Romo, while we may get a first, we have no way to replace him really. I am not a Romo fan, but I feel like we would be a worse team without him right now. I also think that if we build a great D, which trading Ware could enable us to do, and beef up the OL, also assisted by trading Ware, we could really help Romo and the Cowboys out. See if we have a defense based team we take a lot of pressure off of Romo. If we have a great OL and two great RBs we take pressure off of Romo.

With Reid, Mathieu, and Claiborne, we'd be reuniting a majority of a beast defense from LSU. Basically our entire defense would be young and set for years to come. You would also have a lot of first round talent on the defensive side of the ball. Mathieu is a first round talent if not for his off field issues. Buchanan is a first round talent but was involved in a car crash and lost a lot of weight. Ansah is a first round talent but very raw and is being compared to JPP. Sean Lee and Bruce Carter are both first rounders that were injured and went in the second round. If the Cowboys were to have:
    Buchannan/Floyd or Jesse or Sylvester/Ratliff or Hatcher or Coleman/Ansah
    Carter/Lee/Wilber
    Claiborne/Reid/Johnson/Carr
    Mathieu would come in for the slot.
    Our D would be young, fast, good enough to deal with any running QBs and our secondary would probably be the best in the league. Ware is great and has three years left on his contract but he is starting to get beaten up and I feel that it will only get worse for him. I think he has good years left, but I do think it would be a good time to capitalize on his value to the NFL.

Our OL could look like Smith/Livings/Costa/Warford/FA signing. Warford I believe has said he'd prefer to play RG in the NFL as well. Murray and Lattimore would be a monster combination coming out of the backfield.

All of this would take a lot of pressure off of Romo and really put the Cowboys in position to be a dominant team for years to come. Sure there are risks of Buchannan and Lattimore being able to come back from injury and Mathieu being able to behave, but I think the upside is tremendous and has worked out very well for us with Lee and Carter. If we were able to make something like this happen I really believe we would be a legitimate contender in the next two years.

If you really wanted to, you could trade Romo for a first rounder, where you could take Warmack or Cooper and a second or third where you could take a TE or WR. Then you could sign Alex Smith when he is cut to basically be a conservative game manager who won't turn the ball over. Let the RBs and defense win the games, and Alex Smith toss the ball to Dez/Witten when no one is expecting it.

vCash
    Yeah i see what you are saying, but if we trade ware and lose spencer who would we have on defense to generate a pass rush? We cant count on rookies, and since this will be our 1st year in the tampa 2 there will be learning curves, so you can count on a lot of mistakes, and we will need our playmakers to make plays and ware is one of them we have if not the best. Yeah he is 30 but he had 11.5 sacks and did not record a sack in the last 6 games because he played with a broken shoulder and a messed up elbow, if we were to trade him we better get a 1st rd pick, because he will improve somebody defense quickly.

I do see where your coming from though, i would want beter picks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Mac View Post
    Making a couple changes to my previous post.

FA: RT Andre Smith or Phil Loadholt (I had Vollmer here at 1st but he is coming off injury plus Loadholt is younger and probably better), DT Henry Melton (if Ratliff is gone), re-sign Felix Jones (I want Reggie Bush but he will be to expensive to be a backup/change of pace RB).

Draft:
    1st rd. Jonathon Cooper OG UNC (RT and RG are the biggest needs on this team imo even with the defensive front switch and this guy is easily a top 15-20 talent)
    2nd rd. Sylvester Williams DT UNC (Big body to take on the double teams free up Rat or Melton to do their thing)
    3rd rd. Jamie Collins OLB S. Miss. (See previous post)
    4th rd. TJ McDonald FS (Rambo's and Thomas' stock have gone up and TJ is well versed in this defense)
    5th rd. Kenjon Barner RB Oregon
    6th rd. Devin Taylor DE S. Carolina

Starting DL Hatcher (loses 10 lbs.)/Williams/Rat or Melton/Ware
    Reserves Crawford/Price/Lissemore/Taylor
    I like your thinking! Would be nice if we pulled this off!

vCash
    I'm the one who put "OTHER" because it wouldn't let me select Offensive Line twice. O-Line and D-Line that's what needs to be upgraded

vCash
    haha...gotcha....the votes are in and, as expected, the OLine wins out

I will be putting a draft piece together this morning on the OL

Next week: DLine

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bullishsince87 View Post
    Yeah i see what you are saying, but if we trade ware and lose spencer who would we have on defense to generate a pass rush? We cant count on rookies, and since this will be our 1st year in the tampa 2 there will be learning curves, so you can count on a lot of mistakes, and we will need our playmakers to make plays and ware is one of them we have if not the best. Yeah he is 30 but he had 11.5 sacks and did not record a sack in the last 6 games because he played with a broken shoulder and a messed up elbow, if we were to trade him we better get a 1st rd pick, because he will improve somebody defense quickly.

I do see where your coming from though, i would want beter picks.
    I think your absolutely correct, you DO NOT trade Ware for a 2 and 3. You get at least a 1 and 3. I also agree that if you trade him, you mind as well get rid of Romo and Witten for draft picks because your not going to have a very sucessful season trading your best defensive player that makes the most impact.

I think at that point you need to look at re-tooling and taking a 2-3 yr plan at the big game. Keep guys like Dez, Lee, Smith etc.... All the younger starter from the past few drafts and build around them.

vCash
    the first thread is up for the draft preview - Offensive Line

I also placed a link in the first post in this thread

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast