Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Trading "Revis" Good or Bad ?

Let me start by saying I am 35 years old born and raised in New York, but currently live in Massachusetts and have been a JETS fan for 27 years now. Just want other peoples opinion on the Revis trade see what other fans think about the whole idea. Revis is by far one of my most favorite players to ever wear a JETS inform and it will be sad to see him go if we do take the route of trading him. Even though he is one of my favorite players I think it is a good move for us to trade him this year especially now since teams are passing more and as you can see in the playoffs you need a shut down corner or you are screwed. We have Cro and wilson I think they will play well and hold their own like they did this year for us.

This year we have to many holes to fill on our team and our cap is all screwed up and their is no telling how he will bounce back from this injury (ex: kris jenkins). We need depth all over and we need youth with skill/speed/ verstility and power. I think by trading Revis we can get quite a few high draft picks for him within the 1st - 4th round this year and next if we play our cards right and make teams sweat it out adventually someone will give us the farm for him. Best case for us we get a 1st and 3rd this years draft and a 2nd and 4th next year. Lets face it next year will most likely be as bad as this year so lets start thinking about the 2014 season when we have a lot of $ off the books. I feel with the youth we get with our picks this year being able to play and get good experience plus the extra picks we get next year and the free agents it will be a quick turn around for us.

I don't care where he goes as long as it isnt the patriots !!! I hate the patriots and their fans. If Revis goes to the patriots I will never here then end of it at home and work. Oh did I mention my wife and her entire family are patriots fans. I know what the hell was I thinking, it was almost a deal breaker when she told me she was a patriots fan but she has a great butt and boobs and she is truly an amazing woman so I let this major flaw slide (hehehe). Seriously though I heard the patriots were interested in him and if we ever considered it then we better rape them bad with their picks for the next 3 years. I am talking nothing less than Ryan Mallet plus a 1st and 2nd this year, 1st and 4th next year and 3rd and 5th the following year minimum for him to go to the patriots. I know we will never get that, but that is the only way he goes to the crappy patriots. Yes I said Ryan Mallet I think he could help us out he knows their system and he looks like he has the tools to succeed he is tall and has a strong arm !!!! Not to mention maybe with the $ we save on Revis we try to resign Landry and then we try to steal welker and chung and vollmer in free agency !!!!

Well please let me know what you think and what you feel you would want in return for him. I know what I wanted for him would never happen but I can dream cant I. Please dont leave a dumb *** response saying this isn't madden and I am crazy because I am a JETS fan so I know I am crazy. I would love some honest feed back on feelings of him leaving and what you think his value is !!!!! looking foward to serious responses.
    Last edited by Ldog14; 01-26-2013 at 09:06 AM.

vCash
    LDDOG looking though the history of the NFL players (nonQB) who request to run up 100 million (50 guarenteed) on a teams salary cap are usually team killers. They pilliage the salary cap so badly that its hard for a team to overcome it now and down the road. The Jets are already 13 million over the salary cap for next season what would you give up to keep Revis. Your gm would have to dismantle the team to do so. We (Houston Texans fans) had a similar problem last season with Mario Williams which I may say now is Buffalo's problem. Best of luck to you guys whatever way you all go.

vCash
    If he's traded, I'm having a hard time thinking of someone that would not make me feel like the Jets lost out on something. Trading for picks would have potential, but Revis is more of a guarantee than potential.

One thing's for sure - I would never trade him within the division or even geographic region.

vCash
    Ldog welcome aboard.

The best way to build depth is through the draft with multiple picks.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    you forgot ugly... goood bad and ugly!!
    NY JETS .we just can't win the games we need to win
    NY Yankees
    NY Knicks
    LETS BALL!!!

2013 NFL PSD MOCK DRAFT:
    1ST RD PICK 9: KEKE MINGO OLB
    2nd rd pick: Giovanni Bernard rb
    3rd rd pick: Zac dysert Qb
    4th rd pick: xavier nixon Og
    5th rd pick: D.C jefferson Te
    6th rd pick: Sio Moore Lb

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueman2424 View Post
    If he's traded, I'm having a hard time thinking of someone that would not make me feel like the Jets lost out on something. Trading for picks would have potential, but Revis is more of a guarantee than potential.

One thing's for sure - I would never trade him within the division or even geographic region.
    Even if we try to trade him, what team will pay him what he wants. he wants more than what Mario Williams got. How did Buffalo make out with that. So trading him will be difficult and keeping him will be difficult. Lets see what Idzik does.
    Last edited by afmanic; 01-26-2013 at 11:22 AM.

vCash
    It's not black or white, good or bad. It depends what the Jets get for him. For the right price, the Jets have to trade him.

To the people who say "never, ever trade Revis," I say, aside from the fact that the Jets had a top 5 pass defense without Revis this year, a legitimate pass rush would make the overall defense better than Revis will.

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Magoo View Post
    It's not black or white, good or bad. It depends what the Jets get for him. For the right price, the Jets have to trade him.

To the people who say "never, ever trade Revis," I say, aside from the fact that the Jets had a top 5 pass defense without Revis this year, a legitimate pass rush would make the overall defense better than Revis will.
    Some teams have thrived on that principle.

Getting to the QB and hitting him, rattling him forcing him to make mistakes means more than stellar coverage alone.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MrX27 View Post
    Some teams have thrived on that principle.

Getting to the QB and hitting him, rattling him forcing him to make mistakes means more than stellar coverage alone.
    It's how the Giants beat the Pats in the super bowl twice (along with 2 miracle catches), and the Jets' corners are far better than most teams even without Revis.

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

vCash
    It didn't do much for the Broncos with Dumervil. They were lit up. Didn't do much for the Texans. Didn't do much for the Packers. The Bills didn't exactly elevate with the addition of two pass rushers. It's not that much of a game changer if you can't cover your own shadow. Balance, not short cuts to success. Teams need talent at many positions, not just QB or pass rusher.

vCash
    LDog 14 - I echo the great Claymation, and say, hello and welcome aboard.

The worst thing that happen to us, and Revis was his ACL injury - this past year - tough luck - c'est la vie - it happens all the time.

There is no way that ANY TEAM is going to give us a 1st and a 3rd this year, and a 2nd and a 4th next year. A 1st and a 3rd this year WOULD BE A GIFT - in my opinion, but if some team really wants to give us more, with a guy that's coming off an ACL - AND is going to want to "record setting deal" next year - yeehaa!

There are 2 scenarios, basically - our reality, and the team that would trade for him - their reality.

But 1st - to address your thought that - "especially now since teams are passing more and as you can see in the playoffs you need a shut down corner or you are screwed". Not one of these teams had the great "lock down" or "shut down CB" - and the teams that tried to play Seattle, and San Fran (especially Kaepernick) man to man - gave up big yards when the QB saw everyone down the field, and took off, but that's the "new math," so let's keep that out of it. The closest I can remember was Aquib Talib - and the Pats payed a 2013 7th rounder and a 4th rounder - and he really did help them - BUT ALSO the maturing of that young secondary, and the pass rushers and LBs probably helped more.

Jets Scenario - IF we had our franchise QB, and a good-great O-line and a solid front seven on defense ALREADY - especially a killer pass rusher, and had the money - it would be great to resign Revis - although as the TOP PAID PLAYER - let's just say top paid defender (which is not what he wants, by the way) - if he was the one piece that would push us to a SB Title - absolutely, you try and pay him. San Fran, Patriots, Bengals, Broncos, Colts, Jags, Dophlins - all have some cap space projected - but 49ers, Pats and Broncos don't have big space - but they could work it out. The others have much more, but are also more than just a great CB away from a SB title, and I think they will all work on adding another great Offensive threat, and need help on Defense - not just a top CB, but who knows?

I think it's pretty clear that, although we'd all love to have Revis retire as a Jet - I don't want to be one of those teams that perennially struggles - but has a great, All Pro CB. We're not going to get what we think "he's worth," but unless he goes all "team 1st" - which he never has - we need to get what we can, and be happy about it.

I think Revis will go to a top flight team. I believe, IF he returns to greatness - he will receive several shorter term, high dollar deals, and end up as a "hit man" like Deion Sanders.

Too bad, but see ya!

GO JETS!!!
    Last edited by jetsfansince'67; 01-26-2013 at 12:47 PM.

vCash
    horrible idea unless we get spoiled in a trade

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CEasFiRe View Post
    horrible idea unless we get spoiled in a trade
    Get used to it - me thinks!

GO JETS!!!

vCash
    I suppose i'd just like to echo previous sentiment. At face value, there's no Jet fan in their right mind that WANTS to get rid of Revis. It might help to view the situation as such - if we kept Revis and paid some sort of $100 million mega deal, we could *potentially* move up from the second rated pass defense to first... but at what expense? And for how long? As PrepBall said - these kind of deals have the possibility of killing a team... or at least hampering them in the future.

On the flip side, we trade Revis, free up cap room and garner several high picks (and for the record, I do think that in spite of the ACL, we will pick up a surprisingly good package). Again it's all about potential - there's always the possibility that we swing and miss on the draft picks, or maybe Idzik surprises us and addresses a number of problem areas - pass rush/LB, WR, RB... dare I say...QB?

I can't lie though - this trade will hurt me as a Jets fan more than any other in the past.

vCash
    When we trade him and im almost positive they will, I would want every single pick we get to be for next years draft this year is pretty weak I would prefer to have those picks in a year when Johny football and company are coming out

Europe get READY, THE CHAMPS ARE HERE!

New York Jets..New York Knicks..New York Yankees..Barcelona!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast