Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Ideas for a new NFL playoff system

Every Year when we get to this point,it always strikes me that the playoffs seem over before theyve begun.I suppose that is due to the conditioning of a seven game series in every other major sport,but for what ever reason,the NFL playoffs are often anticlimatic for me (except when my team wins,lol).
    So I got to thinking do you guys have any Ideas to extend the season and add more Drama to how it plays out.FOr instance heres whacky Idea 1.0.

10 teams per confrence.
    Rather then stay within confrences, weight all twenty teams based on w/l offense, defense,TDs however many statistical criteria you need to establish a twenty team ranking.

1 v20
    2 v19
    and so on throught the first round.

This would create a greater mystery to who you would get in the first round, Division Rival,out of Confrence,its all on the table based on performance in the season.
    This also would eliminate any Bi$ching about running scores up,because every point would count.Also Teams with similar records couldnt rest players because the outcome of the rankings could be up for grabs until the last snap of the regular season.

That first weekends games would be played over one weekend with 5 games perday begining at 9am(9-12,12-3,3-6,6-9,9-12).I dont know about you guys but there have been days in the regular season when Ive watched the early game, the noon game, nfl gam day, the late game, and sportscenter before Im done with football for the day,(around 10pm) so having a game start @ 9pm and end around midnight would bother me one little bit.

In the second round,The remaining ten teams are receded.Based on the outcomes.
    If twenty happened to beat one, they are the new #1, If #2 beat #19 they would remain #2.

This would increase excitement and Drama.
    If Dallas was #20 and won on the Road and suddenly had a home game the next week that no one was expecting,can you imagine the frenzy around getting into that Game?

@ the end of Round 2,there would be 5 teams left.These teams would again be receded.

the new #1 would recieve a Bye week.And the remaining Four would play each other down to Two,leaving three teams.To round out the final four the highest ranked(from the initial 20 team rankings) would be allowed back in, this would be a "true" wild card.

I get that rewarding a team for losing in the playoffs is counter credible,but again,it makes every play, every score an asset to pocket in the Regular season.
    It allows the overall Number one the chance to get back in if they have a terrible game, or even a team that was near the middle if games go as the ranking suggests might wind up as the "wildcard" and get back in.
    I think that it would generate a continued interest among the fans of all twenty teams until the completion of round three.
    the last two games between the remaining four teams I would play at neutral sites dedicated for the semi championship.

Cities without NFL teams ,could petition for being the permanent home site for these last two games.Hey,if half of Michigan can fly to Pasadena for the rose bowl, then half of Boston could fly to nebraska to see the Pats play the 49ers in a semi final match up.

this might be a nuisance to hometown fans ticked off that they dont have the means to get to that game, but it would also generate a lot of additional revenue to a lot of league partners as well as travel industry just as the SB does.

Then the SB would be held as it always is @ a nuetral site with all the hoopla.

This would extend out our playoff season,by two full weeks and make it a lot more intersting(IMO)...any other ideas out there?
    Last edited by stephkyle7; 01-26-2013 at 05:03 AM.
    STORK WAS RIGHT!
    Mcfadden is useless

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stephkyle7 View Post
    Every Year when we get to this point,it always strikes me that the playoffs seem over before theyve begun.I suppose that is due to the conditioning of a seven game series in every other major sport,but for what ever reason,the NFL playoffs are often anticlimatic for me (except when my team wins,lol).
    So I got to thinking do you guys have any Ideas to extend the season and add more Drama to how it plays out.FOr instance heres whacky Idea 1.0.

10 teams per confrence.
    Rather then stay within confrences, weight all twenty teams based on w/l offense, defense,TDs however many statistical criteria you need to establish a twenty team ranking.

1 v20
    2 v19
    and so on throught the first round.

This would create a greater mystery to who you would get in the first round, Division Rival,out of Confrence,its all on the table based on performance in the season.
    This also would eliminate any Bi$ching about running scores up,because every point would count.Also Teams with similar records couldnt rest players because the outcome of the rankings could be up for grabs until the last snap of the regular season.

That first weekends games would be played over one weekend with 5 games perday begining at 9am(9-12,12-3,3-6,6-9,9-12).I dont know about you guys but there have been days in the regular season when Ive watched the early game, the noon game, nfl gam day, the late game, and sportscenter before Im done with football for the day,(around 10pm) so having a game start @ 9pm and end around midnight would bother me one little bit.

In the second round,The remaining ten teams are receded.Based on the outcomes.
    If twenty happened to beat one, they are the new #1, If #2 beat #19 they would remain #2.

This would increase excitement and Drama.
    If Dallas was #20 and won on the Road and suddenly had a home game the next week that no one was expecting,can you imagine the frenzy around getting into that Game?

@ the end of Round 2,there would be 5 teams left.These teams would again be receded.

the new #1 would recieve a Bye week.And the remaining Four would play each other down to Two,leaving three teams.To round out the final four the highest ranked(from the initial 20 team rankings) would be allowed back in, this would be a "true" wild card.

I get that rewarding a team for losing in the playoffs is counter credible,but again,it makes every play, every score an asset to pocket in the Regular season.
    It allows the overall Number one the chance to get back in if they have a terrible game, or even a team that was near the middle if games go as the ranking suggests might wind up as the "wildcard" and get back in.
    I think that it would generate a continued interest among the fans of all twenty teams until the completion of round three.
    the last two games between the remaining four teams I would play at neutral sites dedicated for the semi championship.

Cities without NFL teams ,could petition for being the permanent home site for these last two games.Hey,if half of Michigan can fly to Pasadena for the rose bowl, then half of Boston could fly to nebraska to see the Pats play the 49ers in a semi final match up.

this might be a nuisance to hometown fans ticked off that they dont have the means to get to that game, but it would also generate a lot of additional revenue to a lot of league partners as well as travel industry just as the SB does.

Then the SB would be held as it always is @ a nuetral site with all the hoopla.

This would extend out our playoff season,by two full weeks and make it a lot more intersting(IMO)...any other ideas out there?
    Hold on let me pause a second.

No. To all of the above.

vCash
    The NFL does a lot of things right, at least in my view, but one thing they get just about perfect is divisions, division alignment, division races and play-off format.
    Bill Parcells: "You are what your record says you are."

vCash
    the playoff format is perfect the way it is.

I dont want 3 months of playoff games before the Super Bowl.

vCash
    Both ideas are horrendously bad.

vCash
    dont fix something thats not broken

vCash
    This new playoff system idea sounds fun, if you're playing Madden. My preference would lean towards the new playoff format that has been up for debate the last year. 7 teams from each conference making the playoffs, as opposed to 6. Therefore, only the top seed from each conference would get a bye. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by PlayMaka2007; 04-02-2013 at 10:40 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffG20 View Post
    dont fix something thats not broken
    This.

vCash
    i personally think you should have to have ten wins to get in, but thats me. and adding teams is bad. baseball was gthe only spoert that had it right, and even they are starting to **** it up. add teams waters it down, it doesnt make it better
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 11 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals (May 2014)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinstripe power View Post
    i personally think you should have to have ten wins to get in, but thats me. and adding teams is bad. baseball was gthe only spoert that had it right, and even they are starting to **** it up. add teams waters it down, it doesnt make it better

So years when there are more 10 win teams the playoffs are longer and less 10 win teams the playoffs are shorter. Not to mention the odd and even issues. Slight math issue along with a network and revenue nightmare.
    Done - thank goodness

vCash
    every year someone comes up with a "changing the nfl playoff system" thread. Its great the way it is.
    Quarterback Class of 2004 1st Round starters

vCash
    Double elimination

vCash
    very surprised to see how much you guys like the current system.
    IMO,there are many things that could be better.
    How many times has a conference championship game been a better match-up then The SB?
    How many times has a single dumb luck play changed the whole dynamic of the Post season(Tuck rule).
    How many times has a conferences weakness rewarded a team with a losing record a playoff spot(7-9)
    and lastly,I REALLY thought you guys would be down for ANYTHING that brought you more football.
    But that is what this medium is for getting a perspective on how people feel about things.
    STORK WAS RIGHT!
    Mcfadden is useless

vCash
    its perfect the way it is. Just think of the wear and tear on the players bodies playing all those games. That format will def. reduce the career span of a lot of players

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigCheese21 View Post
    Double elimination
    round robin?
    STORK WAS RIGHT!
    Mcfadden is useless

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast