Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Sheriff David Clarke: Residents should arm themselves with guns, 911 not best option

In his latest radio spot, Milwaukee County Sheriff David A. Clarke Jr. tells residents personal safety isn't a spectator sport anymore, and "I need you in the game."

"With officers laid off and furloughed, simply calling 911 and waiting is no longer your best option," Clarke intones.

"You could beg for mercy from a violent criminal, hide under the bed, or you can fight back."

Clarke urges listeners to take a firearm safety course and handle a firearm "so you can defend yourself until we get there."

"You have a duty to protect yourself and your family. We're partners now. Can I count on you?"

The spot aired at least once - during the last hour of the Mark Belling show on WISN-AM (1130) on Thursday. Clarke's spokeswoman Fran McLaughlin posted it to the department website on Friday. She said she did not know where else or how often the spot would be broadcast, or how much the department spent to air it.

An inquiry to WISN-AM was not immediately returned Friday.

News of the spot quickly generated feedback.

Jodie Tabak, Mayor Tom Barrett's spokeswoman, released this statement from the mayor's office:

"Apparently, Sheriff David Clarke is auditioning for the next Dirty Harry movie."

"Dirty Harry" was one in a series of films in the 1970s and '80s starring actor Clint Eastwood as Detective Harry Callahan of the San Francisco Police Department.

Jeri Bonavia, executive director of Wisconsin Anti-Violence Effort, said she hears "over and over" from most law enforcement officials that the community should work to "take more guns off the streets, not add more."

"What (Clarke's) talking about is this amped up version of vigilantism," Bonavia said. "I don't know what his motivations are for doing this. But I do know what he's calling for is dangerous and irresponsible and he should be out there saying this is a mistake."

Link: http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwauk...188375091.html

What do you guys think about his comments? We have the right to protect our house and family. If someone breaks in, how much time do you think it would take a cop in a big city to get to your residents? I think his comments are spot on, but liberals are pissed about Clarke's comments.

vCash
    Well any responsible gun owner has their gun in a safe right? If someone breaks in and has a gun your ****ed anyways because your gun is in a safe/cabinet.

vCash
    I think Milwaukee County needs a new sheriff. One that is capable of actually doing the job instead of getting the people of Milwaukee County to do it for him. This seems less about gun control and more about a guy whining that his budget isn't big enough.

vCash
    It's like he's making an argument from authority, with himself as the authority.
    Visit my Blog.

"Glad the GOP finally came out with an Obamacare alternative. Can't wait to see their alternative to the Iraq War." - @LOLGOP

vCash
    The timing and rhetoric leads me to believe that this is 100% political in nature.

vCash
    What's wrong with arming yourself AND calling 911?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Curtain View Post
    Nothing. It's their right to arm themselves. I haven't read one post that states otherwise.

vCash
    Yeah seriously why do we even need a police department?

Minimal state, bro.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Schmooze
    Nothing. It's their right to arm themselves. I haven't read one post that states otherwise.
    My post was directed at the officer. Why is he trying to discourage people from calling 911?

vCash
    i dont think hes discouraging ppl from doing it, hes just saying its more effective to have a gun. Im sure he would encourage you to still dial 911, but to make sure your armed to protect yourself until they arrive.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Curtain View Post
    Nothing. He's not saying you shouldn't call 9-1-1, he's just saying that a personal choice of arming yourself should be each individual person's choice and not the government's.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GoCrew5 View Post
    Nothing. He's not saying you shouldn't call 9-1-1, he's just saying that a personal choice of arming yourself should be each individual person's choice and not the government's.
    Which is the opposite of what exactly no one is saying.
    Visit my Blog.

"Glad the GOP finally came out with an Obamacare alternative. Can't wait to see their alternative to the Iraq War." - @LOLGOP

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyFan View Post
    I think Milwaukee County needs a new sheriff. One that is capable of actually doing the job instead of getting the people of Milwaukee County to do it for him. This seems less about gun control and more about a guy whining that his budget isn't big enough.
    that's what crossed my mind when I read the article too. it's like "****...if you know there's an issue with your department's response time...address it instead of expecting the people that pays your salary to do your job for you."
    Quote Originally Posted by lol, please View Post
    1. Thunder
    2. Warriors
    3. Clippers
    4. Blazers
    5. Grizzlies
    Quote Originally Posted by lol, please View Post

I already have that scrizzguap on the Dubs winning a 'ship.
    Sincerely,
    delusional Warriors fan

Quote Originally Posted by COOLbeans View Post
    What do you do for a living because I guarantee it's not in academics or psychology?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GoCrew5
    Well there's no question you should be able to defend yourself it just sounded like he was saying calling 911 was not as important, which is not true, defending yourself and calling 911 are both very important.

vCash
    all I would encourage all of you who enjoy this kind of speculation is to know what you are talking about,
    The FBI compiles all reported criminal complaints logged by cities that choose(i believe it a choice) to report it.
    It is known as the Uniform Crime Report.

In Los Angeles, a city of 4 million people Violent crime affected 1/4 of 1 percent of the population.(10k)
    further more of those 10 thousand crimes, the majority were rapes and assualts and the majority of those were perpetrated by friends and family members or Dates,in the case of Rapes.(95%).
    so you are talking about 1/16th of one percent(or less) of unknown attacker crimes,with only a even smaller portion being a home Invasion where you concievably could have a firearm ready and available.

The media creates a frenzy of fear for the sake of sales by broadcasting these events everynight,and because its every time it happens it creates a sense of commonality that doesnt exist.
    STORK WAS RIGHT!
    Mcfadden is useless

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast