Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Better Defender? Luol Deng or Jimmy Butler

I think this brings up an interesting topic.

Luol Deng has definitely had his defensive moments in his Bulls career and Jimmy is quickly proving that he can be a legit defender in the NBA. I dont think anyone can defend LeBron James better than Luol Deng. I understand he will still get his 25+ points but Luol ALWAYS gives him hell when he is defending.

I also remember this weeks Lakers game, fans were chanting "Kobe Stopper" in reference to Jimmy Butler.

I think they are both great defenders but I just wanna hear opinions.....

vCash
    Deng has 2 more inches on Jimmy.

vCash
    well I will post this again ( i posted in the GT) but here it is

And the stats show the Bulls have been better defensively with Butler on the floor. The Bulls are allowing just 90.3 points per 100 possessions and holding opponents to just 39.5 percent shooting with Butler on the court during the past three games, according to ESPN Stats and Information. When he's been off the court, the Bulls allow 103.6 points per 100 possessions and their opponents shoot 52.6 percent from the field.

vCash
    Deng has the track record. Jimmy being a great defender already still has a long way to go. I would like to mention that I have not seen some one gaurd Carmelo or Lebron as well as I have seen Deng. Contesting every shot, great positioning (frustrating the heck out of Carmelo)

vCash
    I'm taking Deng and his career long defense over Jimmy's smaller (yet very impressive) stint.

vCash
    Deng has the length, Jimmy has the speed/athleticism. I guess it just depends who you're facing.

I'd probably lead towards Jimmy if I had to choose one.

vCash
    Deng for now. I want to see jimmy guard the craftier 3s the guys who will back him down. Let's see him have to do it night in and night pout first. But he can become a bigger version of Avery Bradley. Need him to work on that jumper. If he does that he can play the 2 easily.

vCash
    Jimmy is a bit small to guard someone like Lebron. He is more suited to guard 2 guards. Deng is better against small forwards and can even guard some smaller 4's. Different players, different defenders.

vCash
    He kept up with Rudy gay no problem. Oh and no one can guard guys like LBJ and Durant, that's why they are superstars.

vCash
    *Well Jimmy can guard both SGs and SFs because Jimmy is both an SG and SF. Luol can only guard SFs because he's only an SF.

*Jimmy has speed and athleticism over Deng meaning he can get more steals while Deng has height and length over Jimmy meaning he can get more blocks.

*6'7 SG/SF(Jimmy) vs 6'9 SF(Luol)

We'll see how Jimmy plays tonight and tomorrow and how he response and react to his first back to back games against a good and bad team. Jimmy defense will be put to the test against a team that's scoring exactly 100 points per game along with the Mavericks.

BULLS ZORD

vCash
    Gonna have to go with Jimmy but Deng is that far behind

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ChitownbullsBG7 View Post
    He kept up with Rudy gay no problem. Oh and no one can guard guys like LBJ and Durant, that's why they are superstars.
    Kobe ? lol

vCash
    Kobe is having a bad stretch of games let's be real. Jimmy is a good defender but Kobe usually make those shots.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ChitownbullsBG7 View Post
    Kobe is having a bad stretch of games let's be real. Jimmy is a good defender but Kobe usually make those shots.
    Doesnt matter give him credit , he also played Melo well too .

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stunnerko123 View Post
    Doesnt matter give him credit , he also played Melo well too .
    Giving Jimmy credit has nothing to do with a superstar having a bad game. Demar Derozan played Kobe well during the same stretch of abysmal Kobe and he's not even on the same level as Butler defensively.

I think the answer is easily Deng. There's nothing Butler does that Deng does not beyond the youth/athleticism allowing him to guard a smaller player. (I'm not even sure that's a good thing) A majority of the defensive stops are predicated on the team being there to help regardless of who's in the system and that is why the Bulls are winning games.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast