Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

"Braves-Nats: The beginning of a beautiful rivalry." - Bradley AJC column

http://www.ajc.com/weblogs/mark-brad...tiful-rivalry/
    And the really delicious part is that both teams should be good not just this season – Davey Johnson plans to retire after 2013, by the way – but for a while. This month Keith Law of ESPN Insider ranked the majors’ 25 best players under the age of 25: The Nats had Nos. 2 (Harper) and 5 (Strasburg); the Braves had Nos. 3 (Jason Heyward), 19 (Freddie Freeman), 21 (Andrelton Simmons) and 23 (Craig Kimbrel). And who was No. 1 on Law’s list last year? Justin Upton, who has since turned 25.

To this we say: Hooray. Every sport is better when the home team is good and the visitor is, too. The Dodgers and Giants have been doing this sort of thing since both were based in the five boroughs, and the Cardinals and Cubs have their annual Midwestern merriment, and we know all about Yankees-Bosox because ESPN airs every doggone game. But now, and maybe for the next half-decade, Braves-Nats could trump all ongoing spats in the Grand Old Game.

In the spring of 2010, when Heyward was launching batting-practice shots that wrecked cars parked beyond the outfield fence and Strasburg was loosing 100-mph lasers, Ben McGrath of the New Yorker quoted an unnamed baseball man as saying: “I think if Heyward were to face Strasburg right now the baseball world would spontaneously combust.”

Heyward’s team will face Strasburg’s team 19 teams in the regular season, and it would serve no purpose for any among us to combust spontaneously in April or June or even September. Because there’s a chance they’ll collide again in October 2013, and we wouldn't want to miss any of that, would we?

vCash
    We were already in the beginning of a rivalry. For the past 8 years, the Nats have played us extremely well, better than any other team in the NL East. It's just going to blow up now with all the names on both sides.

vCash
    Only difference is the nats have the money to keep a team like that, we don't.... But for the next few years I'm excited as hell!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BRAVE KID
    We were already in the beginning of a rivalry. For the past 8 years, the Nats have played us extremely well, better than any other team in the NL East. It's just going to blow up now with all the names on both sides.
    True, it's more about both orgs contending and being on the map nationally (No pun intended. More corny jokes! ).

vCash
    With the new players though I expect bigger crowds, thus leading to more money, which hopefully leads to contract extensions and money to spend.

vCash
    Harper already gets booed at TF when he is introduced, so we can also put a checkmark by the "villain" box.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by baseballislife7 View Post
    With the new players though I expect bigger crowds, thus leading to more money, which hopefully leads to contract extensions and money to spend.
    Yes, should be interesting to see how much of an impact this offseason had made...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by baseballislife7 View Post
    I hope it will boost attendance

The Cult of Gattis

vCash
    This rivalry has been building for a few years and we've not been overly successful. There are two completely different squads now. Days of bowing to lesser teams will end soon.

Contending and winning are the criteria for greater attendance. All things equal this team should be compared to the best of the best. Prediction: Uggla relaxes and rakes.
    Gonna miss the Magician
    Just another tricky day for you.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GLASSMAN View Post
    This rivalry has been building for a few years and we've not been overly successful. There are two completely different squads now. Days of bowing to lesser teams will end soon.

Contending and winning are the criteria for greater attendance. All things equal this team should be compared to the best of the best. Prediction: Uggla relaxes and rakes.
    I'm rolling with that as well. Everybody is writing him off..I think with the Upton hype around..Uggs will smash on a consistent basis.

vCash
    Rizzo (the Nats' GM) used to be Arizona's scouting director and was the one who drafted Justin.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...ng-term-deals/

Hopefully the less pressure on Uggla, the better he'll perform.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiderKid318 View Post
    Only difference is the nats have the money to keep a team like that, we don't.... But for the next few years I'm excited as hell!!
    when can Liberty Media sell the team?...
    "Some people live an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference in the world, Marines don't have that problem." ~ President Ronald Regan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyRocks77 View Post
    They can sell it now, they just choose not to.

Simmons over Harper!!!

WAR Stats:

2014 - Simmons 0.7 vs Harper -0.2
    2013 - Simmons 4.7 vs Harper 3.8
    Career - Simmons 7.6 vs Harper 8.1
    162 game average - Simmons 5.0 vs Harper 4.7

updated 5/22/14

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves_Fan_RSD View Post
    They can sell it now, they just choose not to.
    They made their intention clear from the moment they bought the team, they'll sell it when they can turn it around for a profit. The intent at the moment is to run it as an equal money endeavor and raise it's value while not making any money off of it, thus why Braves revenue goes directly back to the team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyRocks77 View Post
    Would selling the team change the TV deal that's handicapping us though?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast