Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: Vitamins

vCash

Vitamins

I've read articles from all over the place. Some say vitamins are useless. Some say they're even dangerous and most say they're good for you.

I'm curious what you guys take and what brands you're taking.

I have a bottle of Optimum Nutrition that I was taking but they require three pills a day. I get tired of taking 12 different pills every morning.

I'm currently taking:
    -Multivites Gummy vitamins (effing delicious and easier for me since I have a horrible morning gag reflex)
    -Vitamin D 2000 IUs. (Gotta combat the lack of sunlight here in Washington during the winter months.)
    -Krill Oil. I read they were better for you than fish oil.
    -Selenium. No idea if this is actually good for you or what. I need to do more research but I've read that it helps reduce the risk of cancer.

I understand you probably don't need vitamins if you're eating a vitamin rich diet. But, I don't really have that so I need to introduce vitamins to help get the stuff I need.

Any input on recommended vitamins, discussion whether they work or not is welcome.

If you guys know of any good links to articles, I'm all ears.
    I'm In.

vCash

ewing

I take whole food vitamins from Standard Process. I take Bs and C. I also supplement my regular diet with fish oil, creatine, and protein shakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

vCash
    i take biotin, super b complex, magnesium, zinc, and alpha lipoic acid every day. Its been making me gassy as hell recently tho so Im going to have to spread them out or something. Biotin is for hair/skin/nail health, super b complex is for immune system/energy, magnesium is for joints and bones, zinc is good for immune system, alpha lipoic acid, i have no idea what its for.

A small town called nunya god damn bidness
    vCash
    You should go to the health and fitness forum... They'll help you out a ton in there.

vCash
    I gave her that D, cause that's where I was born n raised in!

As studies have eroded the hopes placed in most vitamin supplements, one pill is looking better and better. Research suggests that vitamin D protects against a long list of ills: Men with adequate levels of D have about half the risk of heart attack as men who are deficient. And getting enough D appears to lower the risk of at least half a dozen cancers; indeed, epidemiologist Cedric Garland, MD, at the University of California, San Diego, believes that if Americans got sufficient amounts of vitamin D, 50,000 cases of colorectal cancer could be prevented each year.

But many—perhaps most—Americans fall short, according to research by epidemiologist Adit Ginde, MD, at the University of Colorado, Denver. Vitamin D is the sunshine vitamin: You make it when sunlight hits your skin. Yet thanks to sunscreen and workaholic (or TV-aholic) habits, most people don’t make enough.

How much do you need? The Institute of Medicine is reassessing that right now; most experts expect a big boost from the current levels (200 to 600 IU daily). It’s safe to take 1,000 IU per day, says Ginde. “We think most people need at least that much.”

vCash
    The best way to get your vitamins is through your food. Eating lots of the right kinds of veggies and fruits. Or even juicing. Helps your body take them in and process better.

Since our diets usually suck, supplements are needed but you end up pissing most of them out in that neon yellow glow you find in the toilet. If possible, it's better to get time released vitamins. I know they make time released C, but not sure about others.

Really a multi and/or a good C and B is all ya need, but you can always get into minerals and a good vitamin D (really important) if you don't get a lot of sun during the day. The vitamin D supplements kinda suck though, so sun is best or a UV safe tanning bed (hard to find).

You can go all out and take tons, but a lot of the time all you end up with, in the words of Sheldon Cooper, is expensive urine.

vCash
    Orange TRIad is by far the best multi on the market. It also has joint and immune system support. I used to take it but it was getting expensive.

right now I'm just taking the basic bodybuilding.com brand multi's. there alright.

vCash
    Don't waste your money on any label vitamin. It's overkill/unnecessary.

If you're not eating a healthy diet, pop the generic One Daily vitamins from Walmart. The nutritional profile is remarkably similar to anything you're paying 4x as much for. If you're really concerned about anything, just eat better food.

vCash
    Although I generally recommend food source, I will say that Krill Oil supplements are fantastic if you get a good one. I also take Chlorella/Spirulina and CoQ10.

The PSD's Official Steve Nash Support Crew, Members: R4L

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by debo View Post

If you're not eating a healthy diet, pop the generic One Daily vitamins from Walmart. The nutritional profile is remarkably similar to anything you're paying 4x as much for. If you're really concerned about anything, just eat better food.
    I've actually read some are less potent than others. But you can also read that those claims aren't true. Vitamins and supplements are a tough one to research.

Quote Originally Posted by Raidaz4Life View Post
    Although I generally recommend food source, I will say that Krill Oil supplements are fantastic if you get a good one. I also take Chlorella/Spirulina and CoQ10.
    I take these

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...BPSz0nNUKgnu-A

Decent price and friggin tiny pills.

I used to seriously take ten vitamins a day when I was working out.

ON Multivitmin (3)
    Glucosamine (2)
    Vitamin D3 (1)
    Selenium (1)
    Garlic (1)
    Krill Oil (1)
    Vitamin B50 (1)

That's a lot of **** to take. So, I just cut back and stuck with two chewable multivitamins (great to take on an empty stomach) and a few others. Much easier.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by debo View Post

I would highly advise someone not to take one a day. their complete crap and your body doesn't use any of the "vitamins" anyway because their synthetic. you may as well just flush them down the toilet, because that's where they'll end up anyway.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iansnightout View Post
    I'm going to be honest, that brand of krill oil is crap. That being said its one of the most commercially available.

The PSD's Official Steve Nash Support Crew, Members: R4L

vCash
    Gnc Megamen Sport

Gnc triple strength fish oil 1500

The Knicks are back!