Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





View Poll Results: Can & Should The NCAA & The NFL Be Left to Regulate Themselves???

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    2 33.33%
  • No

    4 66.67%
  • I am not sure

    0 0%
  • I do not care

    0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Community of Redland, Florida
    Posts
    617
    vCash
    1500

    Question Can & Should The NCAA & The NFL Be Left to Regulate Themselves???

    Can & should presidents/owners of Business/Higher Educational Sports Programs & The NFL Franchises be left to regulate themselves??

    Let us be real, The USA's governments do next to no regulating of both; they usually just campaign on issues related to sports and threaten to regulate them, if they do not shape up. Reference the fact that Higher Educational Sports Programs' employees/players are over 17-years old, yet they do not receive minimum wage for their hours put in, even if we pretend they only spend 20-hrs. per week, during the season, and a lot less during off season. Both the setup of The NFL & The NCAA are monopolies; sure for The NFL there is IFL, AFL & CFL. The IFL & AFL are different versions of Professional FootBall and CFL is another form of Professional FootBall and exists entirely in another country. Semi-Professional FootBall is just that Semi-Professional FootBall. The NCAA even has it better there is NO COMPETITION AT ALL, at their level of sports. IM Sports (which I have refereed at) is taken extremely serious by the players, parents and I guess the higher educational facilities they exist at; but they are not serious level of sports- they were created for non-serious reasons, to benefit the students' health and the higher educational facilities.

    Well, if you have not figured out the obvious, I say NO WAY! The USA Governments need to start regulating & enforcing Federal Employment laws.
    Wild West, Ag. community, Seasonal-Self Employed, Bachelor Degree, Broad Fields, Experiences, Creative-Open minded, Reality-People, Tom Hartmann&Dan Sileo 'Best Broadcasters, Expose-Take On Big Guys Taking Little Guys', So What-Whom tell? Fanship, NOT FANATIC; Quality, Critically examine, Thought out, learned, experienced, facilitated, diverse fields, proven, science, others have experienced, Report personal attacks, Off Topics or bully Topics, Don't like-ignore, still not like-ignore button.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    1,583
    vCash
    1500
    This poll makes no sense at all.

    The monopoly is the ncaa making money off kids... The NFL is an organization of grown men with other professional grown men helping them make decisions.

    The NFL has no part of this discussion... At all.

    So... Can & should presidents/owners of Business/Higher Educational Sports Programs, paying absolutely no attention to The NFL Franchises be left to regulate themselves??

    No.. Of course not. Millions upon millions are being made off kids who just want to make it to the next level.

    Anybody recall the Webber cheeseburger incident? Probably not... PSD is so young.

    NCAA should stop worrying about texts and start looking at grades for the students and where money is coming from from colleges.

    Kids are exploited easily because they just want to take the next step...

    A few years of college and/or experience takes the NFL out of it.

    Don't put kids and grown men in the same context. It's different
    Your perception of the obvious is OUTSTANDING!!!


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Community of Redland, Florida
    Posts
    617
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by eibbor View Post
    This poll makes no sense at all.

    The monopoly is the ncaa making money off kids... The NFL is an organization of grown men with other professional grown men helping them make decisions.

    The NFL has no part of this discussion... At all.

    So... Can & should presidents/owners of Business/Higher Educational Sports Programs, paying absolutely no attention to The NFL Franchises be left to regulate themselves??

    No.. Of course not. Millions upon millions are being made off kids who just want to make it to the next level.

    Anybody recall the Webber cheeseburger incident? Probably not... PSD is so young.

    NCAA should stop worrying about texts and start looking at grades for the students and where money is coming from from colleges.

    Kids are exploited easily because they just want to take the next step...

    A few years of college and/or experience takes the NFL out of it.

    Don't put kids and grown men in the same context. It's different
    NFL is a MONOPOLY! You just are blind to many, many examples.

    By the way, using the young men (they are no longer kids at 18-years old) as economic slaves was just an example, not saying equal or lesser, not comparing, the example of The NFL's illegal Monopolizing actions (easiest one to see is that they are actually many corporations coming together to form one huge monopoly to drive down salaries percentages and Etc. and drive up profits and force public resources under their control & use (all of which is illegal to do in whole large collaborating monopolies.
    Last edited by GreatWhiteShark; 01-25-2013 at 12:57 AM.
    Wild West, Ag. community, Seasonal-Self Employed, Bachelor Degree, Broad Fields, Experiences, Creative-Open minded, Reality-People, Tom Hartmann&Dan Sileo 'Best Broadcasters, Expose-Take On Big Guys Taking Little Guys', So What-Whom tell? Fanship, NOT FANATIC; Quality, Critically examine, Thought out, learned, experienced, facilitated, diverse fields, proven, science, others have experienced, Report personal attacks, Off Topics or bully Topics, Don't like-ignore, still not like-ignore button.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    6,039
    vCash
    1500
    The government can't regulate their way out of a wet paper bag.

    I would rather see the sport die than have the government involved in any regulating.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    1,583
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteShark View Post
    NFL is a MONOPOLY! You just are blind to many, many examples.

    By the way, using the young men (they are no longer kids at 18-years old) as economic slaves was just an example, not saying equal or lesser, not comparing, the example of The NFL's illegal Monopolizing actions (easiest one to see is that they are actually many corporations coming together to form one huge monopoly to drive down salaries percentages and Etc. and drive up profits and force public resources under their control & use (all of which is illegal to do in whole large collaborating monopolies.
    It's different. 18 or not. College kids are playing for a dream and/or their future. Money is being made off of them while they make nothing. It's completely different.

    The nfl is professional... With professional agents making adult decisions for grown men knowing it;s a business.

    College isn't supposed to be a business... Even though billions are being made from kids.

    Any parent with an 18 year old would tell you they are still kids. If you were or are a parent you would understand, but it isnt the point. They are different. Their is absolutely no comparison.

    I do agree the nfl is a monopoly... Grown men sign up for it tho and make millions off of it...

    College kids play just as hard, make nothing and millions are made off of THEM.

    Totally different
    Your perception of the obvious is OUTSTANDING!!!


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    6,039
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by eibbor View Post
    It's different. 18 or not. College kids are playing for a dream and/or their future. Money is being made off of them while they make nothing...
    An education is nothing?

    Quote Originally Posted by eibbor View Post
    ...College isn't supposed to be a business...
    Of course it is a business.

    Quote Originally Posted by eibbor View Post
    ...College kids play just as hard, make nothing and millions are made off of THEM...
    Again, an education is not nothing.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Gentrified Brooklyn
    Posts
    4,348
    vCash
    1500
    The government can regulate NCAA because most of the colleges are state funded etc....they should really look into paying the college players because its a billion dollar industry. these college players are being used and abused. what they do for their college teams is worth more the a scholarship.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Jordan
    Posts
    33,946
    vCash
    1500
    I think the only thing that should be changed is how soon players can turn pro. There shouldn't be any sort of handicap on a person making the jump. It should be his decision.

    Chicago Bears #23
    Kyle "Cheetah" Fuller

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,046
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by {Ron!n} View Post
    I think the only thing that should be changed is how soon players can turn pro. There shouldn't be any sort of handicap on a person making the jump. It should be his decision.
    Problem being, that move is in direct conflict with one of the main tenets of the the antitrust exemption that's been provided to the NFL, allowing for the cartel to operate as a legal monopoly. Plain and simple, Congress (and for that matter, the NCAA) doesn't want the NFL ****ing with college football.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Morganton, NC
    Posts
    5,108
    vCash
    1500
    The one sure way to ruin sports (as well as anything else) is to let the government get involved. Absolutely not.

    Ricky Stenhouse, Jr.
    Roush Fenway Racing #17 Ford Fusion

    2013 NASCAR Sprint Cup Rookie of the Year Winner

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,046
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by NC_RaiderFan5 View Post
    The one sure way to ruin sports (as well as anything else) is to let the government get involved. Absolutely not.
    Nothing personal, but this kind of statement reminds me of the Tea Party's now famous "Keep your damn government hands off my Medicare" sign.

    Fact is, the US government's fingerprints have been all over the NFL from the beginning. Without Congressional approval, the league would not exist as it does today. Sure a lot of things the government does can be improved, but not everything it does is evil.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    6,039
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Five Angels View Post
    Nothing personal, but this kind of statement reminds me of the Tea Party's now famous "Keep your damn government hands off my Medicare" sign.

    Fact is, the US government's fingerprints have been all over the NFL from the beginning. Without Congressional approval, the league would not exist as it does today. Sure a lot of things the government does can be improved, but not everything it does is evil.
    True enough. Not everything the government does is evil, furthermore the government regulates everything. What we want the government to do overall is a discussion best saved for another day and another forum as well. But, if you believe the government can get into actively “regulating” the NFL as in a takeover which for the most part is exactly what the OP implied, and anything would improve, I believe you are a bit naive.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    386
    vCash
    1500
    Regulate them? Arresting them is more like it.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,046
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by subroc View Post
    True enough. Not everything the government does is evil, furthermore the government regulates everything. What we want the government to do overall is a discussion best saved for another day and another forum as well. But, if you believe the government can get into actively “regulating” the NFL as in a takeover which for the most part is exactly what the OP implied, and anything would improve, I believe you are a bit naive.
    That isn't at all how I read the OP, but you've got to cut me a little slack here, man. It's tough deciphering most of the posts the OP makes in general.

    No way would I suggest that total Congressional control would be good for the league. I'm merely pointing out to those who seem to be saying that any government involvement whatsoever is an impediment to the game are a few decades late to the party. The government's already there.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Community of Redland, Florida
    Posts
    617
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by subroc View Post
    An education is nothing?



    Of course it is a business.



    Again, an education is not nothing.
    Come on; how many players struggle to find good jobs, after sports, that are not related to sports.
    Wild West, Ag. community, Seasonal-Self Employed, Bachelor Degree, Broad Fields, Experiences, Creative-Open minded, Reality-People, Tom Hartmann&Dan Sileo 'Best Broadcasters, Expose-Take On Big Guys Taking Little Guys', So What-Whom tell? Fanship, NOT FANATIC; Quality, Critically examine, Thought out, learned, experienced, facilitated, diverse fields, proven, science, others have experienced, Report personal attacks, Off Topics or bully Topics, Don't like-ignore, still not like-ignore button.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •