Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 21 of 139 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171121 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Good to see someone giving Marlon a chance. He had a rough year last season hopefully he can rebound.

vCash
    Reds sign Manny Parra. Thought the Cubs could of used him, as another lefty reliver to have in the pen, but oh well.
    The Best Wrestler in the World.... Go Cubs!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Edge View Post
    Reds sign Manny Parra. Thought the Cubs could of used him, as another lefty reliver to have in the pen, but oh well.
    Your deff right. We are in need of lefties!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yagyu+ View Post
    You have not earned the right to use ellipses in your posts. They belong to ABTY7.
    Top notch comedic relief my friend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Edge View Post
    You've been on the Parra train for the whole offseason. Sorry for your loss.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ABE32 View Post
    Mets sign Marlon Byrd...lol.
    you left out
    as the PED Director
    Watch Out DarBar 20HR season coming!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KyleJRM View Post
    The similarities is that they are both baseball players and both CFers. That pretty much covers it.
    Really?! So we should just ignore statistics altogether except WAR and FIP?

Let's compare the 2 (and granted we are talking about a major leaguer and minor leaguer but still:

Michael Bourn: Speed guy, great glove in CF, no pop or slg. , .270 hitter with OBP of .339 and .992 fielding.

Matt Szcur stat line last year: .267/.340/.390. Oh yeah, and 4 HR and 42 SB's to go along with a .987 fielding percentage lifetime so far.

Hmmmm, who does that sound like? You wanna be condescending you should pull your head out of your *** and look the stats up first. Could he become a Michael Bourn type of player? I'd say so.
    Last edited by excillon; 02-02-2013 at 03:45 AM.

vCash
    Sorry, but you earned the condescension, and you doubled down there.

You compared AA stats to MLB stats and you used fielding percentage for an outfielder. You go to the box two minutes and feel shame.

vCash
    There's an excellent Slap Shot reference.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by excillon View Post
    Really?! So we should just ignore statistics altogether except WAR and FIP?

Let's compare the 2 (and granted we are talking about a major leaguer and minor leaguer but still:

Michael Bourn: Speed guy, great glove in CF, no pop or slg. , .270 hitter with OBP of .339 and .992 fielding.

Matt Szcur stat line last year: .267/.340/.390. Oh yeah, and 4 HR and 42 SB's to go along with a .987 fielding percentage lifetime so far.

Hmmmm, who does that sound like? You wanna be condescending you should pull your head out of your *** and look the stats up first. Could he become a Michael Bourn type of player? I'd say so.
    You really not to get out of the Szcur fan club. His numbers were in a league where he was a little on the older side. And they were not impressive. He is a fringe prospect, at best. Saying the Cubs do not need Bourn because they have Szcur and he will be just as good in a few years is ridiculous. Actually by the time Szcur is any good, if that time ever comes, Bourn wont be on the team anyway, if he signs a 2 year deal. And even if he signs a longer deal and Szcur does become a solid major leaguer, which he probably has less than a 10% chance of doing, things have a way of working themselves out. Maybe Bourn gets traded or the Cubs trade prospects like Szcur for proven major league talent. Maybe by then we will even know how to spell Szcur's name. Pretty sure you and I are spelling it wrong.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    You really not to get out of the Szcur fan club. His numbers were in a league where he was a little on the older side. And they were not impressive. He is a fringe prospect, at best. Saying the Cubs do not need Bourn because they have Szcur and he will be just as good in a few years is ridiculous. Actually by the time Szcur is any good, if that time ever comes, Bourn wont be on the team anyway, if he signs a 2 year deal. And even if he signs a longer deal and Szcur does become a solid major leaguer, which he probably has less than a 10% chance of doing, things have a way of working themselves out. Maybe Bourn gets traded or the Cubs trade prospects like Szcur for proven major league talent. Maybe by then we will even know how to spell Szcur's name. Pretty sure you and I are spelling it wrong.
    I think Szczur is a bit more than a fringe prospect. It wasn't too long ago that he was a top 100 prospect and he's still a B- guy. I think we'll have a better idea on him after this upcoming season, but the tools and potential are there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Emanski View Post
    I think Szczur is a bit more than a fringe prospect. It wasn't too long ago that he was a top 100 prospect and he's still a B- guy. I think we'll have a better idea on him after this upcoming season, but the tools and potential are there.
    I don't think he is anything more than a fringe prospect. However, playing along with you and calling him a top 100 prospect in baseball, which he no longer is, I still think his chances are less than 10% to be a solid major leaguer. And he is not anyone the Cubs should rest their hat on as a reason not go go after top end FA. I believe the WS just picked up Lars Anderson. Seems it was only a few years back when he was a hot prospect. Much higher prospect then Szczur, and now he is a guy who was picked up off the scrap heap. Also just a few years ago Vitters was considered a top prospect in the organization and now he is ranked 25th on the Cubs. What exactly does a B- guy project out to anyway? Again, projections are usually best case scenario. What percent of B- guys become solid everyday major league ballplayers? Again, my guess would be less than 10% even using your analysis. BTW, I am not saying the Cubs should go after Bourn at all costs. Only saying no minor league player years away from reaching the majors should stop a team from going after a FA. I would say the same think if Headley were a FA. If Headley were a FA I would want the Cubs to go after him. And I would not use having Baez in the minors as a reason not to go after him. And Baez has a much better chance of being a solid major league ballplayer then Szczur.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    I don't think he is anything more than a fringe prospect. However, playing along with you and calling him a top 100 prospect in baseball, which he no longer is, I still think his chances are less than 10% to be a solid major leaguer. And he is not anyone the Cubs should rest their hat on as a reason not go go after top end FA. I believe the WS just picked up Lars Anderson. Seems it was only a few years back when he was a hot prospect. Much higher prospect then Szczur, and now he is a guy who was picked up off the scrap heap. Also just a few years ago Vitters was considered a top prospect in the organization and now he is ranked 25th on the Cubs. What exactly does a B- guy project out to anyway? Again, projections are usually best case scenario. What percent of B- guys become solid everyday major league ballplayers? Again, my guess would be less than 10% even using your analysis. BTW, I am not saying the Cubs should go after Bourn at all costs. Only saying no minor league player years away from reaching the majors should stop a team from going after a FA. I would say the same think if Headley were a FA. If Headley were a FA I would want the Cubs to go after him. And I would not use having Baez in the minors as a reason not to go after him. And Baez has a much better chance of being a solid major league ballplayer then Szczur.
    I never said he is a top 100 prospect, I said that it wasn't too long ago that he was considered as such and that is an irrefutable fact. To say that he is bordering on being a total non-prospect is ******** at this point in his career. He isn't Bryan LaHair.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Emanski View Post
    I never said he is a top 100 prospect, I said that it wasn't too long ago that he was considered as such and that is an irrefutable fact. To say that he is bordering on being a total non-prospect is ********.
    As is claiming he's years away from the MLB. He's in AA and an over ager. He's either going to be called up late 2013-early 2014 or he's just never going to see the light of day. He's no where near a "non-prospect". He's got a bunch of warts, but he's got upside if he can figure some stuff out. Never will be an MLB impact talent but he's got 2nd division starter / 4th OF'er in him.

If he tanks in 2013 you can start calling him a non prospect as an over ager who cant figure out AA. But we're not there yet.
    Don't give up on us now...

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Henry, House of Burgess, 1775
    Give me the playoffs...or give me death!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    As is claiming he's years away from the MLB. He's in AA and an over ager. He's either going to be called up late 2013-early 2014 or he's just never going to see the light of day. He's no where near a "non-prospect". He's got a bunch of warts, but he's got upside if he can figure some stuff out. Never will be an MLB impact talent but he's got 2nd division starter / 4th OF'er in him.

If he tanks in 2013 you can start calling him a non prospect as an over ager who cant figure out AA. But we're not there yet.
    Yeah, that's why I had said that I thought we would have a better idea about him after this season.