Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 11 of 139 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    But if the Cubs are not in the race and your plan is to trade Bourn at the deadline, he is worth more to the team they are dealing him to with a 2 year deal. Honestly, that is why I would rather they do a 2 year deal. I think they are still a year or so away, so IMO they would be looking to trade him. A team that can control him the next year would give up more for him then one who get no compenstation if he leaves. Really the only person who gains anything on a 1 year deal is Bourn. If he gets traded mid season he will become a FA without compensation. He has incentive to sign a 1 year deal with a bad team. Going to a good team doesn't help him. That team might keep him all year and then they can offer him a contract therefore putting him exactly where he is this year. A FA who will cost compensation.
    That makes total sense but sometimes...(MOST TIMES) players want to control their Free Agent Status. So while we might want a 2 year deal Bourn might only want a 1 year to test the free agent market again...so he can get his last big pay day.
    BUTTERFLIES AND RAINBOWS!!!!! JP611 Just called me an ecstasy user!!!! WTF!!!

Welcome Tyler Kolek or Brady Aiken or Carlos Rodon if not one of them say hello To Alex Jackson.

vCash
    I see no way he takes a 1 or 2 year deal... he can't really raise his value

vCash
    I don't see any way he's taking a one year deal either.
    #WhyNot?

People ask me, "Why here? Why Kentucky?", I said "Why not"? It can be done here. It will be done here. Lay the foundation. Recruit and develop. Prepare to win. Day by day. Play by play. A new era of high performance. Why Kentucky? Why not? -Mark Stoops

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubsfan365 View Post
    If we're trading Marmol to the Yankees, I'd be interested in Nik Turley. We really have a huge lack a LHP in the farm system, and he could be a workhorse at 6' 6"/230. He's put up solid numbers everywhere he's been and seems to have a good 3-pitch mix.
    I'd like to get Mark Montgomery from the Yanks. Turley looks pretty good, as does Corey Black.
    Last edited by Tom Emanski; 01-30-2013 at 12:07 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    I don't see any way he's taking a one year deal either.
    With his options down to say three or four teams, he might not have a choice. DO you think he would rather sign a 2 year deal over a one year deal? I think both are worst case scenarios for him but if it had to be one or the other I think he would rather sign a one year deal?

Welcome Tyler Kolek or Brady Aiken or Carlos Rodon if not one of them say hello To Alex Jackson.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    But if the Cubs are not in the race and your plan is to trade Bourn at the deadline, he is worth more to the team they are dealing him to with a 2 year deal. Honestly, that is why I would rather they do a 2 year deal. I think they are still a year or so away, so IMO they would be looking to trade him. A team that can control him the next year would give up more for him then one who get no compenstation if he leaves. Really the only person who gains anything on a 1 year deal is Bourn. If he gets traded mid season he will become a FA without compensation. He has incentive to sign a 1 year deal with a bad team. Going to a good team doesn't help him. That team might keep him all year and then they can offer him a contract therefore putting him exactly where he is this year. A FA who will cost compensation.
    But is that perceived value at the deadline on a 1 year deal, still more valuable than a high bust potential 2nd Round pick? Thats the question that needs to be asked.

vCash
    One of those 3-4 teams would go 3-4 years easy. a 3 year deal for bourn would be hard to not get surplus value out of.
    A one year deal doesn't make a lot of sense for him imo because its not like he will hit 40 HR next year and be worth a 5 year deal suddenly .

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ZamboniCub View Post
    One of those 3-4 teams would go 3-4 years easy. a 3 year deal for bourn would be hard to not get surplus value out of.
    A one year deal doesn't make a lot of sense for him imo because its not like he will hit 40 HR next year and be worth a 5 year deal suddenly .
    Oh I agree they might I was just pointing out I can see what rcal was saying in regards to a 2 year deal. Pointing out that I doubt he would really want to sign a 2 year deal if a 2 or 1 year deal is all he is being offered I think he takes the 1 year and test free agency next year.

vCash
    I'm thinking more and more that the protected pick is a competitive advantage of sorts that shouldn't be wasted.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rynoplasty View Post
    I'm thinking more and more that the protected pick is a competitive advantage of sorts that shouldn't be wasted.
    What makes it a competitive advantage?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    What makes it a competitive advantage?
    If you have it, you should sign comp guys because the 2nd is worth a great deal less than the first.

That's my guess at least.

And then. He made them pancakes.

vCash
    The shouldn't be wasted part is what throws me off and think its not that. I can't tell if he doesn't mind giving it up or not.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    The shouldn't be wasted part is what throws me off and think its not that. I can't tell if he doesn't mind giving it up or not.
    I think he means that having a protected 1st round pick presents an opportunity that shouldn't be wasted. That opportunity is to be able to sign a comp guy without having to give a pick.

Not sure if I worded that any better than Doog.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ZamboniCub View Post
    I see no way he takes a 1 or 2 year deal... he can't really raise his value
    The likelihood that he repeats 2012 is pretty slim so I'd agree with this.

vCash
    From a Fangraphs chat:

Which lower echelon team did the most to improve themselves this offseason?

Dave Cameron: The Blue Jays. Then the Cubs.

Speaking of the Cubs, it seems Theo and Jed make a very nice team in the front office. How long before you see them being serious contenders?

Dave Cameron: They're doing it right. Probably 2014, though.

Who do you think has the best Front Office in MLB?

Dave Cameron: Toronto, Chicago, New York, Oakland... pick one.

Who do you project as AL & NL MVP's for 2013?

Dave Cameron: I'll go with Cabrera as a repeat winner in the AL, and Bryce Harper in the NL.
    Last edited by Cubsfan365; 01-30-2013 at 03:58 PM.

Page 11 of 139 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast