Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Introducing the 3-4 DEFENSE!

Im just introducing the 34 D to some of you guys! It's a very good Defense(with some flaws) but will excite the average fan who loves sacking the QB! Remember that there are different techniques and philosophyies in this defense, so study and enjoy!
    <UNDER, just like in the 4-3, the SS drops in the box in the 3-4!>

34 defense
    In American football, the 34 defense is a defensive alignment consisting of three down linemen and four linebackers.

In general, ideal front-seven players in the 34 are bigger and need to take on and defeat blocks more often in the running game.

34 base defense
    The 34 defense declined in popularity over the years, but has found renewed use by modern professional and college football teams. The 34 defense is so named because it involves 3 down linemen and 4 linebackers. There are usually 4 defensive backs.

Teams that run the 3-4 include the San Diego Chargers, Green Bay Packers, Baltimore Ravens, Arizona Cardinals, Indianapolis Colts, Kansas City Chiefs, New York Jets, San Francisco 49ers, Pittsburgh Steelers, Washington Redskins, New Orleans Saints and Houston Texans. The Cardinals already incorporate the 52 defense, an older variation of the 34, in some of their defensive schemes. The Miami Dolphins have also incorporated elements of the 34 defense into their scheme, under defensive coordinator Mike Nolan, but with the hiring of Kevin Coyle as their new defensive coordinator, the Dolphins will switch to a 4-3 Defense under new coach Joe Philbin. The Ravens run a hybrid defense and occasionally shift to 43 schemes during games. With the hiring of defensive coordinator Dom Capers, the Green Bay Packers have switched to a 34 defense (2009). With the hiring of Chuck Pagano as their new Head Coach, the Indianapolis Colts have switched to 3-4 Defense. The Buffalo Bills installed a 34 scheme to begin the 2010 season, but made frequent use of 43 sets as the season progressed, and will stick with the 4-3 for 2012 following the signing of free agent defensive end Mario Williams. Under new defensive coordinator Wade Phillips, the Houston Texans have adopted the 34 defensive scheme for the 2011 season.[2] The Dallas Cowboys will switch to the 4-3 Defense with the hiring of Monte Kiffin as their Defensive Coordinator. Sean Payton announced that the Saints will switch to the 3-4 Defense for the 2013 season.

Typically, there are two major variations of the 34 defense. Both variations are directly related to coverage schemes on obvious passing downs. For the first type, the outside linebackers will rush the quarterback, the great majority of the time. This defensive scheme is largely attributed to Dick LeBeau, although there is some discussion that Joe Collier of the Denver Broncos "Orange Crush" was the actual originator of the "NFL 34" . On key situations, the rush linebacker will be sent to cover the flat on the opposite side of the blitzing defensive back; this is the infamous "zone blitz". The other common 34 defense is typically associated with the New England Patriots. This scheme requires outside linebackers to have the ability to back pedal and drop into coverage. Of course they do rush the passer at times, it is just that they are much more likely to drop into coverage.[citation needed]|

The Chicago Bears are the only NFL team that have never used the 34 as their base defense. Before the 2010 season, the Washington Redskins had also never run a base 34, but under the direction of new defensive coordinator Jim Haslett, the Redskins have adopted the 34 and its many variants, such as the 245 and the 155, based on formations used by the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Conversely, the Steelers have used the 34 as their base since 1982, the season after Pro Football Hall of Fame defensive tackle Joe Greene and end L. C. Greenwood retired. In fact, the Steelers were the only NFL team to use the 34 defense during the 2001 NFL season, but finished the season as the number one defense in the NFL.[3] It is believed that the Steelers success with the 34 defense is the primary reason why many NFL teams have started returning to the formation.[4]

The 34 defense was originally devised by Bud Wilkinson at the University of Oklahoma in the 1940s. Chuck Fairbanks learned the defense from Wilkinson and is credited with importing it to the NFL.[5] The 1972 Miami Dolphins were the first team to win a Super Bowl with the 34 defense, going undefeated and using number 53, Bob Mathison as a down lineman or rushing linebacker. When the Oakland Raiders defeated the Philadelphia Eagles in Super Bowl XV, it marked the first Super Bowl in which both teams used the 34 as their base defense. Also notable, the Big Blue Wrecking Crew, the defensive unit for the 1986 New York Giants who won Super Bowl XXI, was a 34 defense and featured all-time great Lawrence Taylor as outside linebacker. By the mid-1990s, only a few teams used a 34 defense, most notably the Buffalo Bills and Pittsburgh Steelers.[6]

FYI:
    Salary Cap, it's cheaper to run a 3-4 Defense!

It's all about the 3-4 defense that's making a come back!

The 3-4 defense
    -it contains runs on the outside redirecting it to the inside(spread & pistol)
    -great for putting pressure on a Passing QB
    -perfect defense to maintain bcuz of constant pass rushers coming from college
    -great defense to keep a balance salary cap by not over paying 4-3 DEs
    -great to stack up players; 3 Dline are only space eaters that free up only 2 elite outside pass rushers
    -great for getting away with cheaper CBs that can play zone in the secondary; lock down man CBs are very expensive
    -IT'S JUST A VERY GOOD DEFENSE TO COMPLIMENT OUR FAST PACE OFFENSE THAT FORCES TEAMS TO PASS THE BALL!
    I officially now have a "Stephen" following me!

From my Stephen-
    "Ya damn near ran one of the most ride or die for the Saint fans on here. But that's ok, all that gon change!"
    "I'm gon get with ya every time u try to disrespect other Saints fans!"
    "I wish he opens his mouth!"
    "It's a new day Saints Forum!"

http://youtu.be/7AjWj91B7fo

Time Will Tell My Accuracy's

vCash
    good info

Cameron Jordan is awesome

12.5 sacks and this http://instagram.com/p/jfs5DemKo3/

vCash
    More info on the different schemes in a 3-4 Defense!

Bum Phillips
    Bill Parcells
    Dick LeBeau
    Rex Ryan

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles...-ryan-defenses

#Enjoy

From my Stephen-
    "Ya damn near ran one of the most ride or die for the Saint fans on here. But that's ok, all that gon change!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGBREED View Post
    More info on the different schemes in a 3-4 Defense!

Bum Phillips
    Bill Parcells
    Dick LeBeau
    Rex Ryan

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles...-ryan-defenses

#Enjoy
    double posting much, BB?

good article though. Worth getting posted twice

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by neovenator250 View Post
    double posting much, BB?

good article though. Worth getting posted twice
    Thanks, but I'm on that Crown! #ShortTermMemory?

From my Stephen-

vCash
    Thanks, but I'm on that Crown! #ShortTermMemory?
    Ok, I've got some Crown black and I've had regular Crown. You ever try that Crown Maple?

vCash
    Ok, I've got some Crown black and I've had regular Crown. You ever try that Crown Maple?
    I love the Black, but that Maple is too sweet for me. I hate a sweet azz drink

From my Stephen-

vCash
    I love the Black, but that Maple is too sweet for me. I hate a sweet azz drink
    Yeah, the Black is my favorite, but I've been wanting to try the Maple. Might just grab one of those little $10 bottles

vCash
    Yeah, the Black is my favorite, but I've been wanting to try the Maple. Might just grab one of those little $10 bottles
    you could save the rest in that bottle for docking up your barbecue sauce!

From my Stephen-

vCash
    I tried Crown Black, once, and knocked the glass over, demanding someone put Crown in it. If I wanted my Crown to taste like Bourbon, I'd just drink Makers or WR.

Quote Originally Posted by Underdogz∞ View Post
    I'd take Mingo over Jones too guess I'm an idiot too.