Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    vCash
    This is an easy fix. The spirit of the rule is to protect the worst 10 teams picks.

Make an exception this year so the the Mets 11 overall pick is protected and going forward if any teams can't sign their top 10 protected pick as punishment have them pick 11. This allows them to still have a high pick the next year but punishes them in a way by that pick not being protected. Its a really east fix and hopefully Selig does the right thing.

Presenting the 2013 New York Mets Outfield.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Do you not understand how massive of a drop a top-10 pick in the MLB is to a 3rd round pick? Why should Pittsburgh be penalized because Mark Appel wanted too much money? How is it their fault?
    It is a big drop off. It was COMMON KNOWLEDGE what he was looking for. Boras made it very clear what kind of money he was looking for, and said if he doesn't get it, he'll go back to Stanford. They picked him anyways. And as a reward for their incompetence, they got an extra top 10 pick! How is that fair?

Like I said earlier, by allowing teams to do that, they can manipulate the draft to get an extra 1st round pick the next year if they don't like this years crop. Or next years crop is much stronger. Appel was projected to be the top pick last year by many. The first 7 teams knew his demands, and passed. Believe me 1908, they knew what they were doing. I'm starting to think they knew that there was not a player at the 8th pick that they loved. So they took Appel knowing that essentially, they are getting a free pick the following year.

Not only are the Pirates incompetence or underhandedness giving them an extra pick, but it's screwing over the Mets, who no longer has a protected pick if they want to sign Bourn. It's wrong both ways.

So in my opinion, it's likely one of two choices. They either played the system to get another pick, or they are just that stupid and picked him ayway. Either way, the action should not be rewarded with an extra first round pick.
    Last edited by thawv; 01-31-2013 at 11:35 AM.

vCash
    Just need to protect the Mets 11th pick this year and if this ever happens again have the team who can't sign a player pick at 11. Simple fix.

Presenting the 2013 New York Mets Outfield.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345