Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    vCash
    I think its pretty messed up that since another team couldnt sign their pick you could lose a pick.

vCash
    Has there been any news on this? I haven't seen a single thing anywhere.

Presenting the 2013 New York Mets Outfield.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rio40 View Post
    Has there been any news on this? I haven't seen a single thing anywhere.
    The Mets haven't filed the petition yet.

Either way, according to reports Selig won't rule on the issue till the Mets sign Bourn which isn't going to happen unless the Mets know the pick is protected first.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    The Mets haven't filed the petition yet.

Either way, according to reports Selig won't rule on the issue till the Mets sign Bourn which isn't going to happen unless the Mets know the pick is protected first.
    so basically its a catch 22
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinstripe power View Post
    so basically its a catch 22
    Pretty much..

vCash
    Selig is a beat off!! Why wait?? This is a perfect time to make a decision. It would be way less controversial now, then to wait to see if the Mets sign Bourn.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinstripe power View Post
    just when you thought it couldnt get worse for the mets.........
    Actually its getting much better....patience has been the key. Mets only team with two top 10 prospects (Wheeler, D'Anaurd, Snydergard #29) Harvey, Niese, Gee, Edgin, give them a solid young rotation going forward. Santana will most likely be dealt for more at the deadline. The outfield sucks, but the plan has been 2014 and beyond all along since Alderson left. Darkest days are over.,

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    Selig is a beat off!! Why wait?? This is a perfect time to make a decision. It would be way less controversial now, then to wait to see if the Mets sign Bourn.
    The Mets have a legitimate gripe here but by letter of the law they don't have much to stand on.

Sandy Alderson is very hesitant to give up that pick while the Mets are rebuilding and i think they know their chances of winning this petition is less than 50/50 even with the backing from the MLBPA.

It would establish a bad precedent and Bug Selig would most certainly turn it down imo.

vCash
    I have a solution, give the mets the draft rights to Appel and have the pirates pick 10 mets 11 this year. Win win.
    Mets can get a good pick in Appel and sign Bourne and Atlanta gets this years number 11.
    Last edited by Captain Moroni; 01-30-2013 at 11:40 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    The Mets have a legitimate gripe here but by letter of the law they don't have much to stand on.

Sandy Alderson is very hesitant to give up that pick while the Mets are rebuilding and i think they know their chances of winning this petition is less than 50/50 even with the backing from the MLBPA.

It would establish a bad precedent and Bug Selig would most certainly turn it down imo.
    I can't believe how screwed the Mets are probably gonna get here. Pit picks a guy that they most likely knew they weren't gonna sign, and instead of getting penalized for their mistake, they get REWARDED with an additional high first round pick!!!

This is just so wrong!! The spirit of the rule was intended for the teams with the 10 worst records, to be able to sign a FA without losing their top pick. And honestly, I think Pit should fall a couple hundred picks down, instead of keeping their pick from last year. In essentially the same spot. It's just insane how this is playing out!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    I can't believe how screwed the Mets are probably gonna get here. Pit picks a guy that they most likely knew they weren't gonna sign, and instead of getting penalized for their mistake, they get REWARDED with an additional high first round pick!!!

This is just so wrong!! The spirit of the rule was intended for the teams with the 10 worst records, to be able to sign a FA without losing their top pick. And honestly, I think Pit should fall a couple hundred picks down, instead of keeping their pick from last year. In essentially the same spot. It's just insane how this is playing out!!
    They took a chance at Appel. What if Appel was picked by Chicago? And we didn't sign him? Would you think we deserve to be "dropped 100 picks"?

Give me a break.

It sucks Pitt didn't sign their guy. I also think that the Mets should be allowed to have a protected pick. But "Pittsburgh should drop a few hundred spots" is asinine.
    #WhyNot?

People ask me, "Why here? Why Kentucky?", I said "Why not"? It can be done here. It will be done here. Lay the foundation. Recruit and develop. Prepare to win. Day by day. Play by play. A new era of high performance. Why Kentucky? Why not? -Mark Stoops

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    They took a chance at Appel. What if Appel was picked by Chicago? And we didn't sign him? Would you think we deserve to be "dropped 100 picks"?

Give me a break.

It sucks Pitt didn't sign their guy. I also think that the Mets should be allowed to have a protected pick. But "Pittsburgh should drop a few hundred spots" is asinine.
    Honestly, I would be very pissed if we couldn't sign our top pick. If team doesn't sign their first round pick, they shouldn't be rewarded with another first round pick the following year. They should be penalized. And 100 picks is like 3 rounds down. Not a big deal.

Without any kind of ramifications or consequences for failing to sign your first round, the system can be manipulated big time. These teams know a weak draft and a strong draft. They could easily not sign a guy and gain an extra first round pick if they feel it a stronger draft.

My head would say that the Cubs should drop a few rounds for failing to sign their pick. But my heart would clearly say something else!!

But if a "rule" was in place, other than giving them an extra first round pick, this probably would not happen.

Question. Why should the Mets pick now become unprotected because Pit was able to "cut" in front of them?
    Last edited by thawv; 01-30-2013 at 12:53 PM.

vCash
    Do you not understand how massive of a drop a top-10 pick in the MLB is to a 3rd round pick? Why should Pittsburgh be penalized because Mark Appel wanted too much money? How is it their fault?
    #WhyNot?

People ask me, "Why here? Why Kentucky?", I said "Why not"? It can be done here. It will be done here. Lay the foundation. Recruit and develop. Prepare to win. Day by day. Play by play. A new era of high performance. Why Kentucky? Why not? -Mark Stoops

vCash
    Appel also told teams he wanted a certain amount and then come draft day, his price skyrocketed. That's the only reason he fell to the Pirates in the first place. He was literally too good for them NOT to take him at 8.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Moroni View Post
    Actually its getting much better....patience has been the key. Mets only team with two top 10 prospects (Wheeler, D'Anaurd, Snydergard #29) Harvey, Niese, Gee, Edgin, give them a solid young rotation going forward. Santana will most likely be dealt for more at the deadline. The outfield sucks, but the plan has been 2014 and beyond all along since Alderson left. Darkest days are over.,
    not the firs ttime I've ehard that, plus the braves and nats are both good and young. mets arent out of the woods yet, since prosepcts dotn always pan out
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast