Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Turf at Rogers Centre

Just read the SI grading article and again it mentions Reyes playing on the turf. I did the flooring in the players' wives lounge and was allowed to walk the field. It was nothing like an indoor soccer field and the dirt was....dirt.

Reyes being an infielder (could see more of an argument if he was an outfielder) and playing on the dirt quite a bit and the soft turf shouldn't really make him more injury prone IMHO. This isnt the carpet on concrete of the early 90's, this is good turf.

What do you guys think?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TRIUMPHATOR View Post
    Just read the SI grading article and again it mentions Reyes playing on the turf. I did the flooring in the players' wives lounge and was allowed to walk the field. It was nothing like an indoor soccer field and the dirt was....dirt.

Reyes being an infielder (could see more of an argument if he was an outfielder) and playing on the dirt quite a bit and the soft turf shouldn't really make him more injury prone IMHO. This isnt the carpet on concrete of the early 90's, this is good turf.

What do you guys think?
    While turf is harder to play physically wise, it will make grounders more predictable for him to handle.

Also, being the unique stadium the skydome is I expect Reyes offensive numbers to be up when you factor in both the turf makes hitting doubles easier and the fact that the Dome can affect power depending on wind and the fact that the fenses are more shorter than the one in Miami's ballpark.

vCash
    Reyes was asked about it in the press conference and he said he's not worried and it's just like any other place.

vCash
    i have never understood why playing on turf makes u more susceptible to injuries..

isn't the new turf they are using really spongy and should be more forgiving than grass which has solid underneath it

props to vick27m

"Art was my first major in college but it was too hard, so I majored in math"
    Ron Artest

vCash
    This is solely based on memory, but it seems our infielders have been quite durable the last few years. Escobar, Johnson, Hill, etc. haven't missed many games. Lawrie is a nut and his injuries have nothing to do with the turf.

I think it will be fine, and I trust the anecdotal evidence from OP that it's quite soft. Reyes should be a doubles machine and the predictability factor for grounders can't be ignored.

vCash
    I could see it being bad on the knees cus its concrete underneath. But I think its a bit overrated. Ive been on the turf and its a lot like the clay that track stars run on with a softer textrue on top. Its not that bad at all. Plus if you look at some pictures with Reyes he trains at a place which has turf like the rogers centre. Plus Reyes' injury history has to do with hamstring issues. Turf does not effect it. Hamstring injuries are caused/aggravated by hyper extension.

The only way someone can really hurt themselves is an outfielder diving for a ball. Its not that soft. Another problem could be back issues cus of the hard surfaces. But really, its all about conditioning. Unless youre poorly conditioned(Im looking at you Lind) you shouldnt get injured from playing on the turf.

vCash
    A few major problems-
    1-The argos(no where else for them to play)
    2-Other events i.e concerts and such

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Halladay View Post
    A few major problems-
    1-The argos(no where else for them to play)
    2-Other events i.e concerts and such
    Bob McCown claims that the Argos have been secretly told to move already. But the concert thing is a non-issue IMO, they have concerts in Yankee stadium sometimes.
    Skating circles around the NHL since 2013/2014

To be continued...?

\_(ツ)_/

vCash
    AA had a chat yesterday with fans and one of the questions was about the turf.

Will the Rogers Centre ever see a grass field for baseball and if so when can we expect to see it? It would be great for the players and it looks better for TV.
    It's been discussed quite a bit recently. I'm not sure anything has been decided. Paul Beeston has said he doesn't see it happening for the next 5 years and he's the boss so I'd take that to the bank.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OptiMized View Post
    Bob McCown claims that the Argos have been secretly told to move already. But the concert thing is a non-issue IMO, they have concerts in Yankee stadium sometimes.
    I've heard Bob say that before but where exactly? York U? there's no where I can see that makes sense? BMO field maybe? These places aren't big enough. I know one thing, I couldn't care less about the CFL, they could fold and I wouldn't care. As far as concerts, I've only heard events could pose a potential problem, I dont know of the details.

vCash
    I care about the Argos alot, if it would depend on me, i would never allow it.
    And in my opinion it doesn't make sense.

vCash
    "I've heard Bob say that before but where exactly? York U? there's no where I can see that makes sense? BMO field maybe? These places aren't big enough. I know one thing, I couldn't care less about the CFL, they could fold and I wouldn't care. As far as concerts, I've only heard events could pose a potential problem, I dont know of the details."

what makes you say that

side not is anyone elses quote button not working

vCash
    Which part?

vCash
    not caring about the cfl

vCash
    The CFL sucks?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast