Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Jordan
    Kareem
    Wilt
    Magic
    Kobe
    **** the rest!

Love him or hate him, call him overrated, a punk, chump, and whatever blasphemy you people speak, fact of the matter is there is no denying he's the best of his generation and will go down as a top 5 player ever...what he has done for the NBA is amazing he's the biggest name in basketball all around the world and his chase for number 6 continues! All that matters though to us Laker fans is #17! Lakersnation! #16to17

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KnicksorBust View Post
    Jordan
    KAJ
    Magic
    Russell
    Kobe
    Bird
    Duncan
    Hakeem
    Shaq
    Wilt

With LeBron waiting in the wings as his budding resume will soon propel him higher and higher on this list.
    If and when Lebron gets there (assuming he wins another 2 titles), who would be bump out. Chances are it seems like he would probably bump out Hakeem or Duncan. You really cant take anyone else off that list. It would be an interesting debate. Chances are though, it seems Hakeem would be taken off that list in favor of LBJ.

vCash
    In order (According to me):
    Jordan
    Magic
    KAJ
    Russell
    Bird
    Wilt
    Duncan
    Shaq
    Kobe
    Hakeem

With Lebron waiting

vCash
    Jordan
    Kareem
    Magic
    Bird
    Garnett/Duncan
    Hakeem
    K. Malone
    Robinson/Shaq/Moses
    Barkley
    Stockton

Guys left off:

Dr. J, Gilmore - ABA puffed up their numbers

Wilt, Oscar, Petit, Russell, West - too early on, game has changed too much, but this is my order for these 5.
    Last edited by bagwell368; 02-02-2013 at 08:34 PM.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    Jordan
    Kareem
    Magic
    Bird
    Garnett/Duncan
    Hakeem
    K. Malone
    Robinson/Shaq/Moses
    Barkley
    Stockton

Guys left off:

Wilt, Oscar, West, Petit, Russell - too early on, game has changed too much, but this is my order for these 5.
    lol...........cool list.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368:25247071
    Jordan
    Kareem
    Magic
    Bird
    Garnett/Duncan
    Hakeem
    K. Malone
    Robinson/Shaq/Moses
    Barkley
    Stockton

Guys left off:

Wilt, Oscar, West, Petit, Russell - too early on, game has changed too much, but this is my order for these 5.
    No kobe? Be serious.

vCash
    1.Wilt
    2.Jordan
    3.Bird
    4.Magic
    5.Russell
    6.Oscar Robertson
    7.Kareem
    8.Bob Cousy
    9.LeBron
    10.Jerry West

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LordJohn View Post
    1.Wilt
    2.Jordan
    3.Bird
    4.Magic
    5.Russell
    6.Oscar Robertson
    7.Kareem
    8.Bob Cousy
    9.LeBron
    10.Jerry West
    lmao. West's 1 ring > Kobe's 5?

I don't get the irrational Kobe hate. He's B+ Jordan and yet people want to play around like he's not top 5 when everything about his career says he is.

vCash
    lmao. West's 1 ring > Kobe's 5?

I don't get the irrational Kobe hate. He's B+ Jordan and yet people want to play around like he's not top 5 when everything about his career says he is.
    You can't knock West's post season performance. He had the ridiculously stacked pre-salary cap Celtics dynasty to deal with.

West and Kobe are pretty much equal in terms of scoring. People will say that West's numbers are inflated due to his era, but he only took slightly more shots than Kobe (18 per game vs 17 per game career) and still shot a higher percentage, which is impressive considering the kinds of shots he took. West was a much better playmaker and put up a lot of assists in an era when they were given out less frequently. Kobe's certainly top 15 of all time, but I'd West's spot to Shaq or Elgin Baylor before him.
    Last edited by LordJohn; 02-02-2013 at 01:04 PM.

vCash
    No kobe? Be serious.
    17th in win shares and 30th in WS/48 - and having played for a winning team his whole career, win shares overestimate the value of such players. NO.

Kobe gets credit for playing D in the playoffs, but a bigger ding for being a jerk off as a teammate and human being.
    Last edited by bagwell368; 02-02-2013 at 08:42 PM.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

vCash
    1.Wilt
    2.Jordan
    3.Bird
    4.Magic
    5.Russell
    6.Oscar Robertson
    7.Kareem
    8.Bob Cousy
    9.LeBron
    10.Jerry West
    Cousy? He was a meh defender, and a volume shooter, great passer.

Russell was a one way player put in the greatest situation of any NBA player all time. Russell is at best 4th in his own era. How can he be top 10?
    Last edited by bagwell368; 02-02-2013 at 08:46 PM.

vCash
    Cousy? He was a meh defender, and a volume shooter, great passer.

Russell was a one way player put in the greatest situation of any NBA player all time. Russell is at best 4th in his own era. How can he be top 10?
    Wouldn't most any big scorer from Cousy's era be considered a "volume shooter" today? Russell and Cousy both seem like automatic choices since they are probably the best ever at specific disciplines (passing/playmaking for Cousy and defense for Russell, with him also being the second best rebounder). The actual order is a little arbitrary; (it's probably better to do it by position, or to have plateaus of players instead of specific rankings) I could easily move Robertson or Kareem into Russell's spot.

vCash
    Wouldn't most any big scorer from Cousy's era be considered a "volume shooter" today?
    Career .375 FG, probably about .020 below lg average in general. He was an ace FT shooter to his credit. SO even if we grant him even, Magic crushes Cousy, so does Stockton.

Russell and Cousy both seem like automatic choices since they are probably the best ever at specific disciplines (passing/playmaking for Cousy and defense for Russell, with him also being the second best rebounder).
    Cousy Stockton and Magic were the best all time at moving the ball effectively in their time. Cousy's assists are less because they didn't hand them out like they do today or in the 90's for that mater.

Cousy has to be behind those two overall.

The actual order is a little arbitrary; (it's probably better to do it by position, or to have plateaus of players instead of specific rankings) I could easily move Robertson or Kareem into Russell's spot.
    I agree with that 100%. I don't believe in a GOAT, just GOAT by position. Top 5's for each position gives you 25 names, and pretty much an iron clad way to get everyone in that belongs - unless there is team or era bias of course.
    Last edited by bagwell368; 02-03-2013 at 11:26 AM.

vCash
    Jordan
    Kareem
    Magic
    Bird
    Garnett/Duncan
    Hakeem
    K. Malone
    Robinson/Shaq/Moses
    Barkley
    Stockton

Guys left off:

Wilt, Oscar, Petit, Russell, West - too early on, game has changed too much, but this is my order for these 5.
    How did you come up with your list? There is no way in the world Stockton, Malone, KG, Robinson and Barkley belong in the top ten.

Top ten players for sure in no order: Jordan, Kareem, Wilt, Russell, Shaq, Kobe, Duncan, Hakeem, Bird, Magic.

I could see an argument for a guy like Oscar Robertson being in the top ten. If Lebron wins another ring this year, he has a case as well. Guys like Malone, Barkley, KG, etc... are top 25 players of all time without question but aren't top 10. Outside of KG, none of those guys led a team to a title and had good enough talent around them to win, but failed to do so.
    Last edited by Lakersfan2483; 02-04-2013 at 06:15 PM.
    http://i44.tinypic.com/nl7ngy.jpg

Bring Back the Zen Master.

vCash
    No kobe? Be serious.
    Thank you.
    Last edited by Lakersfan2483; 02-04-2013 at 02:40 PM.
    http://i44.tinypic.com/nl7ngy.jpg

Bring Back the Zen Master.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast