Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    vCash
    not a fan of his tv work (namely lost) but i thought he did a really good job rebooting star trek

from what i've heard, he's a MASSIVE star wars fan, so hopefully that will lend itself to his vision on screen. he definitely does a better job with film than tv, so that's encouraging for me.

my bigger concern with the new star wars films isn't who's directing... it's disney's impact and influence on the final product.
    JETSMETSKNICKSPENS
    GATOR BAIT!
    UCONN!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayJoe View Post
    not a fan of his tv work (namely lost) but i thought he did a really good job rebooting star trek

from what i've heard, he's a MASSIVE star wars fan, so hopefully that will lend itself to his vision on screen. he definitely does a better job with film than tv, so that's encouraging for me.

my bigger concern with the new star wars films isn't who's directing... it's disney's impact and influence on the final product.
    I would have that concern if the original Star War films were dark films that were directed towards a more older audience, but they were not, they were kid oriented to begin with, so Disney is not going to change that.

I had my concerns about Disney with they owning Marvel, but as we have seen they have left the director do his thing and make a good movies.

BTW also I hope people understand that he had little to do with Lost once the show was going forward?, that is the case with any TV show which his name is link to, he may have been a major influence in getting the show on, but that was it.

Abrams directed and co wrote the the Lost Pilot(which is one of the best pilot's ever), after that is was Carlton Cuse and Damon Lindelof who ran the show.

vCash
    Abrams has 3 movies he has directed and that is Super 8, Stark Trek and Mission Impossible 3. All have been good movies, not great, but good movies.

vCash
    I don't think JJ was involved that much in Lost beyond Season 1 (which is generally accepted as the best season). I only watched through Season 3, overall I didn't care for the show but he was off of it before it started getting really out there.

Super 8 and MI3 fit in that good but not great category IMO, but I think Star Trek fits into that great category. I would do nothing but rip Star Trek before seeing that movie. I remember seeing the preview for it and going off about how dumb it was to try and make a movie about a series no one really cares about anymore, after seeing that movie I would literally tell people, "This is what the new Star Wars should have been". The main thing he did that I thought was impressive was give the characters a soul. I thought the ending was kind of meh, but he isn't drawing up the story for Star Wars. He revived what I perceived to be a more or less dead franchise (who talked about Star Trek at all prior to that movie?). He won't have that challenge with Star Wars, it's almost as popular as its ever been in recent history.

Lucas is a GREAT story teller, honestly there aren't that many issues with the story behind the prequels. There were a few gaps in logic and it was difficult to fit in such a long period of time over three movies, but the story frame work was solid. It was the directing, dialog and acting that just butchered it. How quick, lame and corny Anakin and Padme falling in love was, the flip switch of Anakin from Jedi to servant Sith lord, Jar Jar Binks... Dude just can't direct and made it painful to watch. Things happened too fast and the characters were pretty unlikeable, outside of Yoda hah.

The thing I like the most about everything going on is that it feels like Star Wars is "cool" again. Not that anyone thinks Star Wars is a lame thing to enjoy in this day n age but everyone knows that most people feel like the movies sucked and (at least in my experience) by Ep. III no one was really jacked up about it. It just feels new, and if GL was directing these films and they were coming from Lucas Films there would be substantially less hype about it.

vCash
    Honestly I'd rather he do it than George Lucas, as sad as that is.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayJoe View Post

disney i wouldnt worry about,they're pretty good at not being to involved in creative control unless its the prime company,look at marvel,touchstone (or miramax when they owned it)

vCash
    Disney's involvement will be a good thing IMO.

vCash
    Dat Toy Story 3 writer hngggggg.

vCash
    I am not against this really. I mean... it can't really be worse than the last Star Wars' that were released (episodes I-III).
    49ers, Athletics, Warriors = Life!

49ers = 7-5
    Warriors = 16-2 Making it rain!
    A's =
    WINNING!

vCash
    Cloverfield is not an Abrams movie. You may as well pin Transformer's on Spielberg if you think that.
    Visit my Blog.

"Glad the GOP finally came out with an Obamacare alternative. Can't wait to see their alternative to the Iraq War." - @LOLGOP

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by natepro View Post
    Cloverfield is not an Abrams movie. You may as well pin Transformer's on Spielberg if you think that.
    it was, however, awful
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinstripe power View Post
    it was, however, awful
    It was enjoyable. Nothing more, nothing less.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345