Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Justin Upton to the Braves

PHOENIX -- Arizona has traded outfielder Justin Upton to the Atlanta Braves in a seven-player deal that sends former All-Star infielder Martin Prado to the Diamondbacks.

The Braves also get third baseman Chris Johnson. Atlanta is giving up four minor leaguers in the deal, including top pitching prospect Randy Delgado. The other minor leaguers headed to Arizona are right-hander Zeke Spruill, shortstop Nick Ahmed and first baseman Brandon Drury. Prado, projected to play third base for the Diamondbacks, can become a free agent after this season.
    http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/88...a-diamondbacks

Can't help but be a little upset that Upton gets dealt for just this. Prado is an ML vet but you have to think that Olt has a higher ceiling with his defense and power. Randall Delgado is 22 and has nothing in the way of breaking pitches, so he's essentially a bullpen piece or a #5. Martin Perez has the stuff of an ace. The other two guys are a defense oriented SS and a guy who has no stats, a non-prospect. This is looking like JD refused to pull the trigger on an Olt/Perez/Sardinas package.

vCash
    I called in to Jim Bowden and talked to him about it today. He said it would have taken Olt, Perez and Buckel to get Upton and that the Rangers wouldn't bend on Buckel.

To me, this pisses me off to no extent.

If Olt is stuck behind Beltre and we have Gallo in the farm system, then it seems that he's expendable.
    If we have 3/5 (+ Ogando honestly) of our rotation locked up for the next 4-5 years, then it seems like Perez and Buckel could be expendable too.

Why this team hoards prospects and only deals them for rentals like Cliff Lee or role players like Mike Adams, but can't part with a package like that for a potential MVP candidate (not to mention a position we need) like Upton is beyond me.

Even in trading those players for Upton, if our farm system is as good as everyone is saying it is, we should still have plenty of youth for the future/future trades also.

This team/front office is really hacking me off. I see no long-term direction that they're heading and all this waiting around for bargains/right prices is only leading to the fact that the band-aids they keep signing in the meantime, will need to be replaced (along with our FA's next year) also.

Who needs Josh Hamilton when you can have this for $11m?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stipe1280 View Post
    I called in to Jim Bowden and talked to him about it today. He said it would have taken Olt, Perez and Buckel to get Upton and that the Rangers wouldn't bend on Buckel.

If Olt is stuck behind Beltre and we have Gallo in the farm system, then it seems that he's expendable.
    If we have 3/5 (+ Ogando honestly) of our rotation locked up for the next 4-5 years, then it seems like Perez and Buckel could be expendable too.

Why this team hoards prospects and only deals them for rentals like Cliff Lee or role players like Mike Adams, but can't part with a package like that for a potential MVP candidate (not to mention a position we need) like Upton is beyond me.

Even in trading those players for Upton, if our farm system is as good as everyone is saying it is, we should still have plenty of youth for the future/future trades also.

This team/front office is really hacking me off. I see no long-term direction that they're heading and all this waiting around for bargains/right prices is only leading to the fact that the band-aids they keep signing in the meantime, will need to be replaced (along with our FA's next year) also.
    While for the most part I agree with what you say...I do think your middle portion is affected somewhat by emotion. Upton is a good player, but he will not put up MVP numbers in the AL. He is nowhere close to guys like Miggy, Hamilton and Verlander (the last three AL MVPs). Also, Mike Adams is more than a role player. He is an elite bullpen arm. He's more than good enough to be a quality closer. He has a CAREER 2.28 ERA in 358 games and 363.2 innings. I'm still mad we didn't resign him and instead went after other options.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."
    — Dr. Seuss

vCash
    My biggest concern is that the Rangers have 1 OF position set for next year. Both Cruz and Murphy are going to be free agents. I have next to zero confidence that we have what it takes to sign a top notch FA. So what exactly are the plans for our outfield next year? This has to be one of the worst offseasons of all time. I am not joking when I say this, the Marlins have had a better offseason than we have. Both teams lost a ton of talent. The Marlins at least got something in return.

Quest to watch a game in all 30 baseball stadiums, so far I have seen: Arizona, Atlanta, Baltimore, Boston, Chicago Cubs, Chicago White Sox, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Colorado, Detroit, Houston, Kansas City, LA Angels, LA Dodgers, Miami, NY Mets, NY Yankees, Philly, Pittsburgh, San Francisco, St. Louis, San Diego, Seattle, Tampa Bay, Texas, Toronto, Washington

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stipe1280 View Post

Ehhh, Buckel/Olt/Perez is a lot. Its a lot more than what the DBacks got from the Braves. The problem is youre going to give up those high ceiling pitching prospects in Perez, but giving up TWO can cripple a system. Remember Erlin and Weiland? Those guys are well on their way to being the #2-3 starter types that they were projected to be. Buckel is in the same boat, maybe a little above because he's younger and throws harder. In fact, a lot of people rate Buckel above Perez now. Sardinas I would have given up, or a lower tier arm like Neil Ramirez.

vCash
    I disagree about Upton. Young hitters values rarely change when moving leagues and his numbers would presumably have improved in our ballpark. I'm not saying he was a shoe-in for the award, but to think he couldn't be a .300+, 30+HR, 100+RBI type player (which has been enough to win the award in the past) isn't that far-fetched.

My point with Adams was that he wasn't a star player. I didn't mind the trade we made for him, but I do mind that everytime we do have an opportunity to obtain a star player, we seem to overvalue our trade chips and sit around.

My argument is somewhat based on emotion...the emotion of anger. If you don't think a 25 year old Upton wouldn't have been a major long-term improvement to where this club sits currently, then I'm not sure we're watching the same sport. He'd easily become our best OF (one of our top couple hitters too) and considering we're going to be stuck either offering the oft-injured, streaky Cruz an overpriced contract next year or lose him (and might lose Murphy as well), then trading for an available Upton would have been a major asset on a team with a lot of questions regarding this position.

As is, hoarding prospects, especially prospects that appear to be trapped behind longterm players here, doesn't make a bit of sense to me. And if we don't get a Stanton (who knows if he'll be available for trade), then who else is going to improve our OF situation? I guess we could give Granderson the money that we wouldn't give Hamilton this year...but then again, is that really a better deal than keeping Josh or trading for a very affordable Upton? I don't think so.
    Last edited by stipe1280; 01-24-2013 at 07:08 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by harlequin018 View Post
    Ehhh, Buckel/Olt/Perez is a lot. Its a lot more than what the DBacks got from the Braves. The problem is youre going to give up those high ceiling pitching prospects in Perez, but giving up TWO can cripple a system. Remember Erlin and Weiland? Those guys are well on their way to being the #2-3 starter types that they were projected to be. Buckel is in the same boat, maybe a little above because he's younger and throws harder. In fact, a lot of people rate Buckel above Perez now. Sardinas I would have given up, or a lower tier arm like Neil Ramirez.
    The point is...by the time Buckel is ready, is there even a spot for him in the rotation? And can we do without Perez when we have Ross/Grimm that could easily fill our #5 spot in the rotation?

We would still be able to replenish our farm through the draft before the loss of either of these guys hurt us longterm. And again...do we really need to worry about losing a couple #2-3 starters? I just don't see it.

As for Upton, there is a need in my opinion. We are stretched extremely thin in the OF. How long will we have to wait until Engel Beltre or Julio Borbon can play in the majors? What makes anyone think that Nellie will all of a sudden become a consistent hitter and stay healthy?

I just don't think that trades are about who gets a better deal than the other team. I believe it's about filling your needs.

vCash
    Daniels needs to be fired if Olt does not turn into a very high caliber player. He has staked the future of this team on not trading Olt for numerous players. If Olt produces like Smoak (which is a possibility), then Daniels needs to be put out on the street. Last summer many of us *****ed about how much Daniels was hoarding the young talent. Then we missed the playoffs by one stinking game. Sure we could have lost the first round if the playoffs, but with the playoffs being a crap shoot we could have also gone back to the WS. So Daniels hesitancy to trade Olt, etc... has already cost us one playoff run. Let's see how many more it is going to cost us....

Quest to watch a game in all 30 baseball stadiums, so far I have seen: Arizona, Atlanta, Baltimore, Boston, Chicago Cubs, Chicago White Sox, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Colorado, Detroit, Houston, Kansas City, LA Angels, LA Dodgers, Miami, NY Mets, NY Yankees, Philly, Pittsburgh, San Francisco, St. Louis, San Diego, Seattle, Tampa Bay, Texas, Toronto, Washington

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cursed Rangers View Post
    My biggest concern is that the Rangers have 1 OF position set for next year. Both Cruz and Murphy are going to be free agents. I have next to zero confidence that we have what it takes to sign a top notch FA. So what exactly are the plans for our outfield next year? This has to be one of the worst offseasons of all time. I am not joking when I say this, the Marlins have had a better offseason than we have. Both teams lost a ton of talent. The Marlins at least got something in return.
    Yep. This was pretty much my point.

vCash
    Daniels needs to be fired if Olt does not turn into a very high caliber player. He has staked the future of this team on not trading Olt for numerous players. If Olt produces like Smoak (which is a possibility), then Daniels needs to be put out on the street. Last summer many of us *****ed about how much Daniels was hoarding the young talent. Then we missed the playoffs by one stinking game. Sure we could have lost the first round if the playoffs, but with the playoffs being a crap shoot we could have also gone back to the WS. So Daniels hesitancy to trade Olt, etc... has already cost us one playoff run. Let's see how many more it is going to cost us....
    I agree with this too.

The thing is, when does Olt get to prove himself anyway? 3 years from now when Beltre is done? You can't tell me that we couldn't find Beltre's replacement within the next 3 years and meanwhile trade Olt (while he still has some value) for another player that could help our ballclub.

vCash
    Just checking in to see if we have done anything yet? No? Ok laters
    2012 Texas Rangers Offseason

"I have never used steroids. Period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never” -Rafael Palmeiro (4 Months before testing positive for steroids)

Texas Rangers 2010-11 American League Champions!

Indianapolis Colts Super Bowl XLI Champions!

vCash
    Our 3 they wanted were worth 50% more than the 5 they gave up. If they save the talent to get a David Price or Mike Stanton...I think we can all be happy with that.

I wanted Upton, but I have full faith in this front office.
    Last edited by Young2Kinsler; 01-24-2013 at 09:46 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vigilantex69 View Post
    Just checking in to see if we have done anything yet? No? Ok laters
    That made me laugh.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Young2Kinsler View Post
    Our 3 they wanted were worth 50% more than the 5 they gave up. If they save the talent to get a David Price or Mike Stanton...I think we can all be happy with that.

I wanted Upton, but I have full faith in this front office.
    i agree that Atlanta got a deal compared to the other offers that were rumored to be out there.

If we get Stanton or Price everyone would be thrilled. However 2 years ago a lot of people wanted Cliff Lee. Our FO pussed out on him. Last year we wanted a 1B and we pussed out on all who were available. This year we wanted Grienke, Hamilton, or Upton and our FO pussed out on all 3. We keep pussing out all while Ryan gets excited to offer his 24 inch wieners to anyone who wants to throw down $30.

vCash
    i agree that Atlanta got a deal compared to the other offers that were rumored to be out there.

If we get Stanton or Price everyone would be thrilled. However 2 years ago a lot of people wanted Cliff Lee. Our FO pussed out on him. Last year we wanted a 1B and we pussed out on all who were available. This year we wanted Grienke, Hamilton, or Upton and our FO pussed out on all 3. We keep pussing out all while Ryan gets excited to offer his 24 inch wieners to anyone who wants to throw down $30.
    Now that made me laugh. Quality stuff right there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast