Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Should the NFL increase the roster size?

As well as increase the salary cap to accommodate the extra players, say at rookie rate?

If you look at the last few years, it seems that injuries are piling up faster than ever, especially because of the new concussion rules. How many teams had to go dig up players off the street mid-season this year? Wouldn't it be better to give the teams greater depth to start, so you don't have to bring in new guys and teach them schemes in a matter of days? How about a roster of 60 or 65? Thoughts?

vCash
    This is a repost from a post I made in this thread:

link

Increase roster size to 64

8 practice squad players

56 man roster

50 man game day roster:

(22) 11 defensive players with a back-up for each player

(23) 11 offensive players with a back-up for each player with a 3rd QB.

(3) special teams players

(2) at large players
    Bill Parcells: "You are what your record says you are."

vCash
    not a bad idea actually considering the amount of injuries that pile up for every team every year

vCash
    As I said in the other thread about this (linked by subroc), won't happen. Maybe you could expand the practice squad for the playoffs, but I think that's as far as it would go. Ownership isn't going to want an increased salary cap or a permanent increase in roster size, and players aren't going to take paycuts to accommodate it (like some suggested in the other thread).
    On Cam Newton:

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    So it's official.

This jerk off is going to be the first QB taken in the first round (or maybe the first 5) in the modern era to throw less than 300 passes at DI level. and he might go #1 overall.

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Nfl scouting is a joke.

vCash
    Wish the NFL would expand the rosters. A lot of good talent, especially young talent, gets released without a chance to develop that talent. Not to mention, teams with cr@p scouting departments raid the wire and pick up players they couldn't initially identify themselves.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kubernetes View Post
    As well as increase the salary cap to accommodate the extra players, say at rookie rate?

If you look at the last few years, it seems that injuries are piling up faster than ever, especially because of the new concussion rules. How many teams had to go dig up players off the street mid-season this year? Wouldn't it be better to give the teams greater depth to start, so you don't have to bring in new guys and teach them schemes in a matter of days? How about a roster of 60 or 65? Thoughts?
    1st-You mean active game day rosters, right??

If so, I say make them 75-players on Active rosters & 15-Practice Squad & 10-Accolated (should go back to developmental international Franchises) & 5-open spots for Injury Roster.
    Wild West, Ag. community, Seasonal-Self Employed, Bachelor Degree, Broad Fields, Experiences, Creative-Open minded, Reality-People, Tom Hartmann&Dan Sileo 'Best Broadcasters, Expose-Take On Big Guys Taking Little Guys', So What-Whom tell? Fanship, NOT FANATIC; Quality, Critically examine, Thought out, learned, experienced, facilitated, diverse fields, proven, science, others have experienced, Report personal attacks, Off Topics or bully Topics, Don't like-ignore, still not like-ignore button.

vCash
    To 60 at least.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteShark View Post
    1st-You mean active game day rosters, right??

If so, I say make them 75-players on Active rosters & 15-Practice Squad & 10-Accolated (should go back to developmental international Franchises) & 5-open spots for Injury Roster.
    Yeah, I mean active roster. I don't think the limit on how many can suit up on game day (is it 45 or 43?) is an issue.

More than a few teams went scrambling for unsigned FAs off the street after critical injuries. I'm sure those coaches would have preferred to have signed players who could practice and integrate from the start, rather than "Joe X, who until last week was bagging groceries."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kubernetes View Post
    Yeah, I mean active roster. I don't think the limit on how many can suit up on game day (is it 45 or 43?) is an issue.

More than a few teams went scrambling for unsigned FAs off the street after critical injuries. I'm sure those coaches would have preferred to have signed players who could practice and integrate from the start, rather than "Joe X, who until last week was bagging groceries."
    I disagree, game day rosters are center of the issue, when you talking about in game injuries & Etc.
    Last edited by GreatWhiteShark; 01-25-2013 at 04:54 PM. Reason: in game added
    Wild West, Ag. community, Seasonal-Self Employed, Bachelor Degree, Broad Fields, Experiences, Creative-Open minded, Reality-People, Tom Hartmann&Dan Sileo 'Best Broadcasters, Expose-Take On Big Guys Taking Little Guys', So What-Whom tell? Fanship, NOT FANATIC; Quality, Critically examine, Thought out, learned, experienced, facilitated, diverse fields, proven, science, others have experienced, Report personal attacks, Off Topics or bully Topics, Don't like-ignore, still not like-ignore button.

vCash
    I think practice squad rosters should be bigger, but unless there's a huge increase to cap space they need to keep the roster the way it is.

vCash
    The problem with this is money.

(1) Are you gonna increase the salary cap for these extra players? No way the owners go for that....

(2) Are you gonna keep the salary cap the same and just have player salaries go downly slightly on average because of the added players? No way the players go for that....

vCash
    Would it be that big a deal to make it 55?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Haha View Post
    What I feel right now is like the satisfaction you feel when a highly judgmental, moralistic televangelist gets caught screwing a male hooker.
    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Trill Team

vCash
    Yes , of they really want to protect their players , also would give more guys a shot .

I think the roster Count should be changed ..
    2 LS ,
    K ,
    P ,
    4 Gunners ,
    2KR
    2PR ,
    3QBS ,
    3 considered starting tackles (ones your versitalie both side back up tackle )1 guard similar to that ,
    3 RBS (wear and tear on these guys).
    8 CBS( dime package is 4 technical starters 4 back ups ).
    5 safeties ( you can Play up to 3 s these days already ..add some depth so guys don't push themselves while hurt to keep playing )
    16 Front 7( 7 DES 2LE 2RE 1 both , LBS- 3 weak 3 MLB 3 strong ..flip it for 3-4 as they want more lbs).
    3 centers
    7 wrs maybe 6 since KR/PR .. But 2 slots , 2 starting wrs ,2 back ups 1extra by how your team goes
    4 TEs (2 TEs and 2 back ups)

All active per game ..nvm what you could carry threw the season.

vCash
    Oh and increase the cap for this.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Joker117 View Post
    Oh and increase the cap for this.
    Apparently you didn't watch the negotiations on the last CBA. The owners and players will go to lockout over a couple million dollars in revenue for a multi-billion dollar industry.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast