Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    Hey if Flores can hit as advertised, I'm sure the Mets would rather have him making the minimum in the OF. I honestly don't think he would be as bad as Duda. It would be one less hole to fill at least.
    I find it unbelievable that a 16 year old who can be drafted into the minor leagues as a shortstop is suddenly way too slow at age 21 to play a corner. I don't care what BA says. I don't even care what the Mets are saying.

Anyone with a bat can play a corner. Aging catchers have been put in corners for crissakes.

I need to see this for myself.

When you have absolutely nobody to play outfield right now in the entire organization, a kid with a bat should be given a chance. Who freakin cares if he's a defensive liability?

When you're starving, you don't hold out for Prime Rib when someone offers you a bologna sandwich.
    Last edited by fanofclendennon; 01-25-2013 at 12:10 PM.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Hey if Flores can hit as advertised, I'm sure the Mets would rather have him making the minimum in the OF. I honestly don't think he would be as bad as Duda. It would be one less hole to fill at least.
    Hard to believe they won't relatively similar defensively.....

Especially if BA is giving him a 20/80 in the speed department.

vCash
    At 30 seconds in, does he run slower than Duda?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    I find it unbelievable that a 16 year old who can be drafted into the minor leagues as a shortstop is suddenly way too slow to even play a corner. I don't care what BA says. I don't even care what the Mets are saying.

Anyone with a bat can play a corner. Aging catchers have been put in corners for crissakes.

I need to see this for myself.

When you have absolutely nobody to play outfield right now in the entire organization, a kid with a bat should be given a chance. Who freakin cares if he's a defensive liability?

When you're starving, you don't hold out for Prime Rib when someone offers you a bologna sandwich.
    Yeah, but I wouldn't try it until we have a guy like maybe den Dekker, Gomez, or Bourn playing CF so it wouldn't hurt as much. Flores still could use some minor league time anyway.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    I understand his range may not be great, but how is 2nd base a stretch for Flores (who has been playing it with some regularity now) and LF a good choice (a position he's never played)?

And if I remember correctly, people in the organization recently stated there was no way he was moving to the OF.
    Yeah most scouting reports list him as having severely limited range even at 3rd base his most natural position.

He projects as a CI which doesn't give us a lot of options considering what we already have there.

Maybe he can make the transition to 2nd base because he has soft hands and a good arm but i doubt he can make the transition to the OF without being more than below average at best.

vCash
    Yeah, but I wouldn't try it until we have a guy like maybe den Dekker, Gomez, or Bourn playing CF so it wouldn't hurt as much. Flores still could use some minor league time anyway.
    Again, what difference does it make when we try it? This team isn't going anywhere this year. The same reason we aren't signing expensive players right now is the same reason to give Flores a look-see in the outfield.

We've got nothing to lose!
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Hard to believe they won't relatively similar defensively.....

Especially if BA is giving him a 20/80 in the speed department.
    Speed: Has slowed consistently since signing. Well below-average runner that may still slow half a tick as he reaches physical peak. May not play below that grade. Has solid base running instincts and shouldn’t be an overt problem when running. Grade – 30/30
    Forget BA. He's slow, but he's not THAT slow. Duda is like -10 speed on the 20/80 scale.

vCash
    I've seen Flores run, 1st to 3rd seemed pretty quick to me. As been pointed out earlier, hes might be slow in the outfield, but he'll catch everything within reach. Can't say the same for Duda!
    " You seek Yoda!

vCash
    Again, what difference does it make when we try it? This team isn't going anywhere this year. The same reason we aren't signing expensive players right now is the same reason to give Flores a look-see in the outfield.

We've got nothing to lose!
    He's not ready.

vCash
    JJ Cooper ranked prospects in the Florida State League for Baseball America, assigning Wilmer Flores the #19 spot in the league.

His comment:

Flores knows how to stay inside the baseball, and he does a good job of driving the ball to the opposite field. He projects as a potential plus hitter with average power.

Though Flores always has shown offensive upside, his position remains in doubt. He’s a 20 runner on the 20-80 scouting scale, and his heavy feet severely limit his range at third base. His hands are fine and he has a strong arm, but his lack of speed leaves first base as his only other option if he can’t handle the hot corner.

So add Cooper to the list of analysts who do not think Flores can play second base.

Cooper was extremely high on the overall strength of the FSL Top 20 this year and even the top 40 or so prospects on the circuit. For example, in the chat, he fielded a question on RHP Rafael Montero.
    http://metsminorleagueblog.com/baseb...ct-in-the-fsl/

vCash
    Somehow i don't see that transitioning to LF if they are not even confident he has adequate range at 3rd.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StoicSentry View Post
    At 30 seconds in, does he run slower than Duda?
    Here's what he looks like running out a double. Sorry but he doesn't look freakishly slow to me, certainly not to the extent where we couldnt even TRY him in the outfield.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Z4rrR12YK4

Thing is, say what you want about Daniel Murphy but he is far better at second base than anyone we have in the outfield right now.

vCash
    He's not ready.
    Again, so what? If he can hit, he's ready.

vCash
    That guy has always been pessimistic on him, I'll reserve my judgment for when I see him.

I got mine from this source: http://baseballprospectnation.com/20...mer-flores-3b/

vCash
    Again, so what? If he can hit, he's ready.
    No one said he can hit MLB pitching yet. Let him tear up Vagas first.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast