Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
    vCash
    http://baseballprospectnation.com/20...mer-flores-3b/

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/...-new-york-mets

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...2/2613987.html

It's safe to say Flores will be a below average baserunner and a below average (to abysmal) defender in the OF.

With those type of potentially negative tools, there is a possibility he could being like Jason Kubel or Michael Morse with less offense, essentially making him a WAR neutral player.
    Last edited by metswon69; 02-01-2013 at 05:32 PM.

vCash
    I think he can be a solid starter in the OF. A 2-3 WAR player.

According to baseball america, these are the most important tools in order for a left fielder: Hitting, power, fielding, arm, and then speed.

Flores is slow. We all know that, but the only reason why we don't like Duda right now is mostly because he's not hitting. If Flores can have an OPS of .800-.850 per season, he'll be good.

vCash
    http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...8#post24746688

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...1#post24757521

Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    MLB level, and he's not very good in the minors either. He is great at anything he can get to, but he's so slow so he doesn't get to many balls. He's still only 21 so he can get even bigger.

You're probably right, but when Flores is 26 years old, I'm sure he will be slower.
    How do you expect him to play even a below average OF if you believe he will eventually be bigger than Duda and has no zero OF experience unlike Duda?

Why did you all of a sudden change your mind?

vCash
    Fielding: Moved off SS this year and it’s a good thing. Very good fundamental player with very soft hands for a guy his size. Plays well at 3B where he can rely on reactions rather than true range. Reads the ball well off the bat and has taken quickly to position. Should be a solid-average defender there long term but needs more polish at present. Grade – 40/50

How is that a negative defender?

ďNinety percent Iíll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent Iíll probably waste.Ē
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Fielding: Moved off SS this year and it’s a good thing. Very good fundamental player with very soft hands for a guy his size. Plays well at 3B where he can rely on reactions rather than true range. Reads the ball well off the bat and has taken quickly to position. Should be a solid-average defender there long term but needs more polish at present. Grade – 40/50

How is that a negative defender?
    I edited my comment because i should have said "a below average to (abysmal) OF".

I think he can play 3rd base adequately.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...8#post24746688

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...1#post24757521

How do you expect him to play even a below average OF if you believe he will eventually be bigger than Duda and has no zero OF experience unlike Duda?

Why did you all of a sudden change your mind?
    Duda is not a defensive player whatsoever. He has no instincts or ability on defense. Stop comparing Flores to Duda.

I compared Flores to a similar player who was moved off SS and was considered slow. If you throw Flores in the OF right now, he'll probably be just as bad, if not worse than Duda.

I'm saying with some experience in the minors, he will be better. He has a good glove, has a better arm, and better defensive awareness. He's just slow. There are many slow outfielders in baseball.

vCash
    Duda is not a defensive player whatsoever. He has no instincts or ability on defense. Stop comparing Flores to Duda.

I compared Flores to a similar player who was moved off SS and was considered slow. If you throw Flores in the OF right now, he'll probably be just as bad, if not worse than Duda.

I'm saying with some experience in the minors, he will be better. He has a good glove, has a better arm, and better defensive awareness. He's just slow. There are many slow outfielders in baseball.
    From a speed perspective and lateral quickness to get to balls they are similar.

Say what you want but experience is experience, it hasn't helped Duda, and you said in an earlier post Flores would eventually play Michael Morse type defense.

Well even if he would play Morse type defense he would still again be a negative baserunner as well which would mean he would need to hit similarly to Morse or Kubel to have any potential value.
    Last edited by metswon69; 02-01-2013 at 05:51 PM.

vCash
    We've never seen him play yet, so it's tough to draw these conclusions. I think it would be wise to give him some OF time maybe not this year, but definitely next year.

Don't think that the Mets are in any rush to be selling off their cheap potential assets that are big league ready. If he has a big year in Vagas, why would you even want to deal him?

vCash
    We've never seen him play yet, so it's tough to draw these conclusions. I think it would be wise to give him some OF time maybe not this year, but definitely next year.

Don't think that the Mets are in any rush to be selling off their cheap potential assets that are big league ready. If he has a big year in Vagas, why would you even want to deal him?
    If he doesn't have a position aren't we forced to?

I mean he's not going to play 3rd base.

vCash
    He could play 1st base maybe if Ike still fails to hit lefties and gets more expensive. Duda is single-handedly the worst OF in baseball, I don't know why people think Flores would be just as bad or worse out there.

It's mind-boggling.

vCash
    He could play 1st base maybe if Ike still fails to hit lefties and gets more expensive. Duda is single-handedly the worst OF in baseball, I don't know why people think Flores would be just as bad or worse out there.

It's mind-boggling.
    Shouldn't the Mets be looking for real OF past this year?

Not guys they pray they can plug into a spot.

And like i said even if he is similar, his upside offensively doesn't negate how bad he could possibly be defensively.
    Last edited by metswon69; 02-01-2013 at 08:07 PM.

vCash
    Well either way, we are acting like Flores will be ready out of spring training.

He won't be, they will look to continue to season him in AAA..

They aren't going to risk his development for the sake of not having a current major league OF. They wouldn't do that with any prospect, why do it with Flores?

If they want to try him out, they could devote the possibility of him being a full time OF to his time in Vegas but i honestly think the Mets look at Flores as either A) a possible 2nd base (albeit a longshot) or B) trade bait.

You posted that youtube video, it's not an accident that every scout says the same thing about where he will end up playing.
    Au contraire. We're acting like we have a fully loaded outfield and can't afford a looksee to one of their young bats who is currently without a position.

If that isn't sheer lunacy I don't know what is.

I don't care what the scouts say. They've been wrong before. I don't care what the Mets say. Lord knows they've been wrong before.

My goodness you'd think i was suggesting giving Flores a guaranteed 3-year contract to be our starting left fielder.

SPRING TRAINING!!!!!!!
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Shouldn't the Mets be looking for real OF past this year?

Not guys they pray they can plug into a spot.

And like i said even if he is similar, his upside offensively doesn't negate how bad he could possibly be defensively.
    It would have been nice but they didn't do that, did they? Now the best thing they can do is to examine all available options. But they're not even doing that.

Pathetic.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    I get the feeling that over the next couple of years there will be a lot of trades and a lot of changes with the Mets.

Seems like we have too many pitchers and too many players out of position.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Au contraire. We're acting like we have a fully loaded outfield and can't afford a looksee to one of their young bats who is currently without a position.

If that isn't sheer lunacy I don't know what is.

I don't care what the scouts say. They've been wrong before. I don't care what the Mets say. Lord knows they've been wrong before.

My goodness you'd think i was suggesting giving Flores a guaranteed 3-year contract to be our starting left fielder.

SPRING TRAINING!!!!!!!
    Read my last post..

When you hear similar speed and similar lateral quickness to Lucas Duda what excites you about Flores in the OF?

I mean at least Duda had 252 games of minor league experience in the OF, Flores has none.

Dont you think if the Mets were confident he could make that transition they would have already given Flores a shot there considering their OF situation?

But if this is about conceding an argument then yeah try him out there in spring training.

Did you hear that Mets? If you are looking at the PSD forum on February 1st at 8:24 pm, we have a new OF for you to consider his name is Wilmer Flores.
    Last edited by metswon69; 02-01-2013 at 08:29 PM.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast