Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 5 of 57 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 846
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    21,424
    vCash
    1500
    So the Mets would have to sign or make a push to sign Bourn before MLB would rule on whether or not they keep the pick?

    Isn't that counterproductive?

    The Mets want to know the ruling before they consider signing Bourn.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    The Heart of Long Island
    Posts
    7,312
    vCash
    1500
    That's stupid....

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, 1985.
    Posts
    7,792
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    This times a million...

    Can't stop the train now, if we sign Bourn then that tells everyone we are near ready to compete.
    And how is that bad thing?

    I'm sick and tired of waiting around. It's been 6 years of garbage and disappointment, enough is enough.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    The Heart of Long Island
    Posts
    7,312
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    And how is that bad thing?

    I'm sick and tired of waiting around. It's been 6 years of garbage and disappointment, enough is enough.
    It's not, by any means at all. I'm not sure that's what metswon meant. Just that if Bourn is signed, this team then needs to be run as a contender, not a rebuilder.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    21,424
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    And how is that bad thing?

    I'm sick and tired of waiting around. It's been 6 years of garbage and disappointment, enough is enough.
    I am not sure Bourn is the best guy to help us in 2014 (as 2013 is an obvious wash)

    I would rather have an Ellsbury or Gomez if they can repeat their previous success.
    Last edited by metswon69; 01-24-2013 at 09:07 PM.

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    21,424
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by MetsFanatic19 View Post
    It's not, by any means at all. I'm not sure that's what metswon meant. Just that if Bourn is signed, this team then needs to be run as a contender, not a rebuilder.
    That was my point, if they are going to sacrifice the 11th pick this year and possibly a protected pick next year they better spend the money to build around Bourn.

    They are losing quite a bit of longer term development in those 2 picks in a year where this team is still gonna suck.
    Last edited by metswon69; 01-24-2013 at 09:09 PM.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Beacon, Ny.
    Posts
    1,681
    vCash
    1500
    I think if they sign him this year along with a bullpen arm that would make it solid this team could compete and win at least 80 games... If things break right it could be an interesting year
    #oneatatime

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    The Heart of Long Island
    Posts
    7,312
    vCash
    1500
    If Bourn is signed and we get everybody to do what they're expected, the Mets could be an exciting team but I think they'll be missing that extra piece to put them over the top. But that's okay, considering we have a young infield, young outfield, young bullpen, and young pitching.

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    15,375
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by MetsFanatic19 View Post
    If Bourn is signed and we get everybody to do what they're expected, the Mets could be an exciting team but I think they'll be missing that extra piece to put them over the top. But that's okay, considering we have a young infield, young outfield, young bullpen, and young pitching.
    I would be happy because we would be positioning ourselves to take a real leap forward for 2014 just by adding a couple more pieces. We would also have Wheeler & D'Arnaud from day 1 in 2014, instead of being mid-season call ups.

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,046
    vCash
    1500
    Bourns best years are behind him. For crying out loud, this is not what I wanted.

    You only sign a player like him if you're already ready to compete RIGHT NOW. We don't have a roster that is going to compete right now, so signing him makes ZERO sense. This smells like Jason Bay all over again.

    To think a few years from now (when we'll be in a position to get an impact player or two in order to get after titles), we'll be paying him 15 million or even more. That will hamper our ability to make moves. This would be a terrible move, and I hope we DON'T get him.

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    50,893
    vCash
    1500
    The thing is, getting Bourn means we can go into the 2014 off-season with one less hole to fill. He's still 30, and that's not old. If they can get him to a 4-5 year deal, it wouldn't be so bad. He'd be 30-34 for that deal.

    Then we could go get an outfielder like Pence or even Granderson if the Yanks don't want him back.

    Or maybe we could try to upgrade 2B with Hill or Prado. More trades will likely open up for us.

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    8,384
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by bootleg42 View Post
    Bourns best years are behind him. For crying out loud, this is not what I wanted.

    You only sign a player like him if you're already ready to compete RIGHT NOW. We don't have a roster that is going to compete right now, so signing him makes ZERO sense. This smells like Jason Bay all over again.

    To think a few years from now (when we'll be in a position to get an impact player or two in order to get after titles), we'll be paying him 15 million or even more. That will hamper our ability to make moves. This would be a terrible move, and I hope we DON'T get him.
    Yeah I agree. I'm assuming he'll cost at least 12M per year and he's not worth that. He's a complimentary piece. I'm not convinced Kirk can't put up a comparable season to Bourn. We still need a big bat to drive in Bourn when he gets on base.

    This can very easily be a "change the culture" signing, but one that backfires. We've seen too many of those. Upton was the guy to get. Had we gotten Upton, then Bourn would be an amazing decision.

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    50,893
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by bootleg42 View Post
    I don't like the idea of having Bourn here. He is 30 years old already!!!!!! Unless he's a big impact bat (which he's not), I'd steer clear from such a contract and such a player.

    Better options will appear for us next off-season, and the off-season after. There is no need to go after a guy that strikesout a ton and is old, and will be way older by the time we're good again.

    Many on the internet have overrated Bourn to death. I never fell for it. I don't want him here.
    Bourn just had his best season, how do you know that?

    He's an elite defender at a premium position. He gets on base and has a ton of speed, he's a perfect fit for this ballpark. He is not overrated at all, BJ Upton is the guy who gets overrated.

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    21,424
    vCash
    1500
    Hey look at the end of the day if they get Bourn at least we will know this team has money to spend.

    That could be the most positive thing to come out of this is the fact that we might actually have a big market team again.

  15. #75
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,557
    vCash
    1500
    Please dont sign him, even if they do change the ruling(which they wont)

Page 5 of 57 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •