Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 34 of 57 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast
    vCash
    What Michael Bourn does is give us a building block to start next year with. It just comes down to the years on his contract, the money that comes along with those years, and if giving up a draft pick is worth it when the first two factors are taken in to account.

I am not a big fan of Michael Bourn. However if the asking price comes down to 3-4 years and we have our pick protected there would be no way you could pass that up. Adding Bourn this year and say Cory Hart next year with the influx of talent from the minors makes us a playoff team again.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metsbulls1025 View Post
    What Michael Bourn does is give us a building block to start next year with. It just comes down to the years on his contract, the money that comes along with those years, and if giving up a draft pick is worth it when the first two factors are taken in to account.

I am not a big fan of Michael Bourn. However if the asking price comes down to 3-4 years and we have our pick protected there would be no way you could pass that up. Adding Bourn this year and say Cory Hart next year with the influx of talent from the minors makes us a playoff team again.
    This. Bourn gives this lineup a legit leadoff hitter only way I sign him is if we get to keep our pick.

vCash
    I agree that as constituted the Mets are about a mid 70s win team.

Some will overachieve, some will underachieve, the law of averages will play out.

But with Bourn I think this is about an 80 win team - objectively - give or take 1-2 wins or losses.

With 2 wildcard spots there to be had, it probably will take about 86-88 wins to get in.

If Bourn is added, you just never know. You may get a midseason addition to give you a few more wins. Someone from the minors may really help. The pen can really become a strength.

I don't bank on optimism, but I do believe that if you get a guy like Bourn you get your team close enough. A few breaks your way and a season can become special.

At worst, he simply puts the team in better position to really compete within a year.

We'll Leave a Light On For You

Believers: mets77, JoeGamer81, Harry777, YoungStuna, Sandman, METMANYAK, FoC, Gotta, WrigheyesMVP, Mr. Koobs

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metsbulls1025 View Post

That is a distinct possibility. As much as I dislike the idea of giving up the 11th pick, Alderson has to assess the impact of signing Bourne in the context of the 2014 season.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    I was on the Mets should get Bourn bandwagon this season, but thought that he may be too much for them, now if they can get him without giving up the pick I will be happy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrigheyes4MVP View Post
    I don't know whats more annoying though...your extreme pessimism or Stuna's extreme optimism.
    I definitely do not have extreme optimism, I just don't see exactly how we are that much worse next season. Our pitching depth is much improved, getting Marcum to replace Dickey eases the pain a bit, our catching situation is solved, and our pen looks like it will better thanks to many low-risk moves and young arms.

Without Bourn, I think we are a 75 win team with an outside shot of 80 or the downside of 70. With Bourn I think we are an 80 win team with the outside chance of 85 wins or a downside of 75 wins. He would make a big difference.

You are being extremely pessimistic as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    I agree that as constituted the Mets are about a mid 70s win team.

Some will overachieve, some will underachieve, the law of averages will play out.

But with Bourn I think this is about an 80 win team - objectively - give or take 1-2 wins or losses.

With 2 wildcard spots there to be had, it probably will take about 86-88 wins to get in.

If Bourn is added, you just never know. You may get a midseason addition to give you a few more wins. Someone from the minors may really help. The pen can really become a strength.

I don't bank on optimism, but I do believe that if you get a guy like Bourn you get your team close enough. A few breaks your way and a season can become special.

At worst, he simply puts the team in better position to really compete within a year.
    I agree with this 100%.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    I was on the Mets should get Bourn bandwagon this season, but thought that he may be too much for them, now if they can get him without giving up the pick I will be happy.
    What if the pick isn't protected? Would you still get him?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    Here's the key imo...

What can the Mets do next off season to acquire talent for the 25-man roster going into the 2014 season? If SA believes he will have the financial flexibility and depth to add two 4.0 WAR or better players, then adding Bourne now makes a lot of sense because Bourne will probably not be available next winter.

I'm starting to believe this could come down to a staring match between Boras and Alderson. Guess who will not blink? Alderson. Although...Boras may not either.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    Here's the key imo...

What can the Mets do next off season to acquire talent for the 25-man roster going into the 2014 season? If SA believes he will have the financial flexibility and depth to add two 4.0 WAR or better players, then adding Bourne now makes a lot of sense because Bourne will probably not be available next winter.

I'm starting to believe this could come down to a staring match between Boras and Alderson. Guess who will not blink? Alderson. Although...Boras may not either, but Bourne may grow tired of the stalemate.

vCash
    No, if the pick was not protected I would not sign him.

I like Bourn, but not at that price.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    No, if the pick was not protected I would not sign him.

I like Bourn, but not at that price.
    I really hope it gets protected.

Brooklyn to Denver to L.A. to Denver and back to L.A.
    vCash
    Sign Bourn if we keep the 1st round pick. If not, pass on him.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Mets Dieharder Since '63
    Broncos Dieharder Since '73
    Los Angeles Kings Dieharder Since 1987
    Los Angeles Kings 2012 and 2014 Stanley Cup Champions -
    Denver Rockets/Nuggets Dieharder Since '73

ua you're gone, but never forgotten, R.I.P.

vCash
    Personally, this draft is looking weaker, so I'd definitely sign him even if we lost the pick. We would HOPE that the player we pick at 11 would be as good as Bourn is now. Most likely, he won't be. So to me it's a no brainer. I also really agree with the outlook of the team. I think right now, this is a 75 win team, with an outside chance to win 80. With Bourn, we get 80 wins and with other moves, could potentially get the second WC. To me, that's a no brainer

vCash
    I definitely do not have extreme optimism, I just don't see exactly how we are that much worse next season. Our pitching depth is much improved, getting Marcum to replace Dickey eases the pain a bit, our catching situation is solved, and our pen looks like it will better thanks to many low-risk moves and young arms.

Without Bourn, I think we are a 75 win team with an outside shot of 80 or the downside of 70. With Bourn I think we are an 80 win team with the outside chance of 85 wins or a downside of 75 wins. He would make a big difference.

You are being extremely pessimistic as well.
    I am not extremely pessimistic lol. I am exactly realistic to a tee.

This team is a low 70 win team as constituted. When you say outside shot of 80...that is true, but it seems as though you think is actually realistically attainable.

We aren't sniffing 80 wins with the roster as is. Hate to break it to you.

We might be able to pull something like that off with Bourn. Maybe.

That doesn't mean we shouldn't necessarily sign Bourn, but you have to way the risk. He is not worth 5 years and losing that 11th pick considering the fact that he may not be able to truly help us get where we need to be this year quite yet. Thats one year waisted and you know that his 5th and possibly 4th year may not be all that great either depending on the money break down.
    Last edited by Wrigheyes4MVP; 02-04-2013 at 11:56 PM.
    DUDA

Quote Originally Posted by VendettaRed07 View Post
    noah is gonna be a beast man.

with him and harvey, its like were gonna have Goku and Vegetta in the same rotation

Page 34 of 57 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast