Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 33 of 57 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrigheyes4MVP View Post
    This is true, but for those people thinking we would be an 85 win team with Bourn...that would mean we would be an 80 win team as is.

We all know this is not true.

We are a 70 win team today...if we want to be realistic with ourselves.

We won 74 games last season, and the only moves we have made this season have been lateral moves. These may have been smart lateral moves to make us younger and more well rounded, but still lateral moves.

Our bullpen can and should be much better, but lets face it...we still have massive issues there.

Our offense still sucks, and the only thing we did to improve it was to trade our Cy Young winner. And we may not even be improved for all we know. Remember...we lost our best OFer from last year...and career best year from Scott Hairston.

Overall, we are younger and this offseason helped build toward that youth, but you are kidding yourselves if you think we actually improved this offseason.

I think we made enough smaller moves to win about 70 games this year (Solid BP moves, OF minor league additions that could make an impact on the big league squad, and I love the Marcum signing).

Still though, it SHOULDN'T be expected that we win more games than last year.

Adding Bourn would make us about a 75 win team. That is being realistic.

Having said all that, these are just realistic projections based on facts. That DOES NOT mean this team can't overachieve. Unforseen things can happen. The A's and O's are examples of that. These types of things happen every year. It is entirely possible it could happen for us. So, I am not saying that signing Bourn is a futile idea.

However, there is risk involved in this move (particularly in the long term) that may not be worth the likely reward.
    The Mets also have Matt Harvey for a full season instead of pitching Batista, Hefner, etc. Gee will be healthy, Niese is still here, Marcum is a quality #3 starter, and if Johan is healthy he's still a very good pitcher.

The pen will absolutely be better. It wouldn't be a stretch to say they'll be better than average.

The offense believe it or not should improve. Tejada should improve, Ike will be healthy for a full season, Murphy should bounce back, Wright is Wright, and Buck is better than Thole. d'Arnaud is not far behind.

We have a young team and offense with possible effective platoons. If we got Bourn, we are definitely an 80-85 win team imo.

vCash
    You know what? the above is what I have heard every single season of my baseball life. No-one is ever going to regress, get hurt, or just have a poor season. So and so will improve so and so will bounce back so and so will be better than so and so, every fan of every team is saying all these things.

The every same things with different names attached over and over again.

How could the pen not be better? it was the worst in baseball, now it's already better than average?

Ok.

I guarantee half of things don't come to pass, and if more than half do, others things will go wrong. The Mets have had some amazing paper teams in my lifetime, very few actual good ones.

Just wait and see before locking everyone in as being amazing huh?

vCash
    They are still a 70-75 win team regardless.

Nobody has pie in the sky expectations for this year's team.

They just like the rotation, the INF, the bullpen looks better, and the wealth of young pitching

The OF sucks obviously.
    Last edited by metswon69; 02-04-2013 at 07:35 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    You know what? the above is what I have heard every single season of my baseball life. No-one is ever going to regress, get hurt, or just have a poor season. So and so will improve so and so will bounce back so and so will be better than so and so, every fan of every team is saying all these things.

How could the pen not be better? it was the worst in baseball, now it's already better than average?

Ok.

I guarantee half of things don't come to pass, and if more than half do, others things will go wrong. The Mets have had some amazing paper teams in my lifetime, very few actual good ones.

I agree with some points.. But just like you say wait and see before locking everyone up as being amazing.. You should wait and see before locking everyone up as regressing
    #oneatatime

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rpagz3 View Post
    I agree with some points.. But just like you say wait and see before locking everyone up as being amazing.. You should wait and see before locking everyone up as regressing
    Where did I say anyone would regress?

Who? what player?

vCash
    Where did I say anyone would regress?

Who? what player?
    No-one is ever going to regress, get hurt, or just have a poor season
    You said it..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    You said it..

No I didn't. Go back and read it again...

vCash
    No I didn't. Go back and read it again...
    You said it in that statement along with the fact that you think all Met fan believe every player is going to get better.

We know **** happens during the season and certain players will regress/be injured but you can make pretty solid assessments on guys based on their scouting reports, their ability, and their career resumes.

That's why no one has pie in the sky expectations and everyone has said this team is a 70-75 win team.

Nobody is saying we are going to win 85+ games the way the roster is currently assembled.
    Last edited by metswon69; 02-04-2013 at 07:51 PM.

vCash

Ok.

Exactly.

I hate to agree with you.

I don't know whats more annoying though...your extreme pessimism or Stuna's extreme optimism.

For you, I would say that you need to understand to be a little more patient with Sandy Alderson's regime. I understand we didn't make the playoffs since 2006, but Alderson didn't come in til 2010 and he took over a mess of a team and franchise as a whole. This is a rebuilding phase and while I don't want to see this rebuilding phase last forever, these things do take some time. Its clear that a plan has been set in motion, and the team is in shape to be more competitive in the years following this one. You can't just be reckless and force things so we can "win now". Spending ourselves out of this situation is not the right idea. This is exactly how we got in trouble in the first place. We spent recklessly and did everything to win now. And its not just big signing either that hurt us. Was the Luis Castillo signing a huge one? How about the K-rod signing or the Ollie signing? None of those were more than 3 year deals. Even the Bay deal wasn't THAT huge a signing when you compare it to others. These signings still hurt us badly. You have to be realistic. This isn't your money. You can't just sign a guy for tens of millions of dollars and if it doesn't work out just say, "hey lets eat the contract and sign a new guy to replace him". It doesn't work that way. Its not your damn money. A bit more pragmatism and caution was much needed from this front office and like it or not, Sandy Alderson's crew has built this team from the ground up with youth, the way we needed them to...and they have done so rather quickly I might add. Over the grand scope of things, you are being overly pessimistic and extremely impatient with the entire process. That is the honest truth. It can become quite annoying to constantly see your overly impatient posts about the failures of everything happening in front of us. The rest of us would actually like to give Sandy's plan a chance before we cry about everything because they aren't getting the results they want NOW.

As far as Stuna is concerned...you need to simply read the post I just quoted from McFly. As far as the present is concerned, you are kidding yourself if you think even half of those things you said will come true. And as McFly mentioned, there will be other unforeseen injuries and regressions that may very likely occur as well. The bottom line is, we are worse going into this season as compared to were we left off last season if you want to look at it from a short term perspective. I mean seriously, who are you to say we won't be using Hefner for X amount of games. I'll bet you anything we end up using him, or at least someone like him. Maybe Murphy and Ike don't bounce back. Maybe Tejada doesn't make any significant strides. Just because they are young, approaching their prime, or in their prime does not mean they will improve. They could even get worse. It is entirely possible. We got some nice young players and made some decent small moves, but overall we lost more than we gained during the offseason. Its really not a hard concept to understand. Stop sugar coating it.

Rant over/
    Last edited by Wrigheyes4MVP; 02-04-2013 at 07:54 PM.
    DUDA

Quote Originally Posted by VendettaRed07 View Post
    noah is gonna be a beast man.

with him and harvey, its like were gonna have Goku and Vegetta in the same rotation

vCash
    You said it in that statement along with the fact that you think all Met fan believe every player is going to get better.

We know **** happens during the season and certain players will regress/be injured but you can make pretty solid assessments on guys based on their scouting reports, their ability, and their career resumes.

That's why no one has pie in the sky expectations and everyone has said this team is a 70-75 win team.

Nobody is saying we are going to win 85+ games the way the roster is currently assembled.

No I didn't. Go back and read it again.

vCash
    i like bourn if the terms are reasonable

the problem is that im not giving him 4-5 years and boras wont find that acceptable

a 3 year deal with an out for him after the first year is something id do, 3 years 24 million is fair

vCash
    No I didn't. Go back and read it again.
    What are you insinuating if you are saying "half of these things don't come to pass"?

It's not a knock on Met fan's who look at thing optimisticly?

The Mets have talent, some will exceed expectation and some won't.

I mean we know the Mets have their fair share of issues but that doesn't mean every question mark is an absolute and certain negative.
    Last edited by metswon69; 02-05-2013 at 12:52 PM.

vCash
    The point is this team is still going to be a 70-75 win ball club.

That's not pessimistic or optimistic, that's a realistic assertion.
    Last edited by metswon69; 02-04-2013 at 08:18 PM.

vCash
    They are still a 70-75 win team regardless.

Nobody has pie in the sky expectations for this year's team.

They just like the rotation, the INF, the bullpen looks better, and the wealth of young pitching

The OF sucks obviously.
    Not true. There are some who do.

Bottom line is Michael Bourn does not make us a playoff contending team, or even a .500 team for that matter unless a ton of other things go very right for this team.

To expect an O's or A's type miracle is far fetched.

Anything can happen obviously, but its pretty damn unlikely.

People just need to be patient with the process, and at the same time, understand what type of team we have right now...an extremely young team win many, many holes throughout the entire team (starting rotation included).
    DUDA

Quote Originally Posted by VendettaRed07 View Post
    noah is gonna be a beast man.

with him and harvey, its like were gonna have Goku and Vegetta in the same rotation

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrigheyes4MVP View Post
    Not true. There are some who do.

Bottom line is Michael Bourn does not make us a playoff contending team, or even a .500 team for that matter unless a ton of other things go very right for this team.

To expect an O's or A's type miracle is far fetched.

Anything can happen obviously, but its pretty damn unlikely.

People just need to be patient with the process, and at the same time, understand what type of team we have right now...an extremely young team win many, many holes throughout the entire team (starting rotation included).
    Hey look you are always going to have homers that are a tad bit delusional but i think most reasonable Met fans know this team is going to struggle and be a 4th place team the way they are assembled currently.

But hope is part of being a fan too so i cant fault them for wanting this team to be better even if its against the concurrence's better judgment.
    Last edited by metswon69; 02-04-2013 at 10:15 PM.

Page 33 of 57 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast