Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 31 of 57 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I just read an article that talks about why Bourn is a perfect match for the Mets.

I know a huge concern for Bourn is losing the 11th pick. But signing him to a deal could also make him trade bait at the deadline if this team is out of contention.. We could possibly get a better value (a more MLB-ready prospect with similar potential.. ala Wheeler/TdA) than that 11th pick by trading him.

And.. Let's say this team with Bourn becomes a contender, then next offseason the Mets are only an OF piece away from being a legit team.

I think the 11th pick is a little overvalued when compared to the value of Bourn to the Mets by a landslide
    #oneatatime

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rpagz3 View Post
    I just read an article that talks about why Bourn is a perfect match for the Mets.

I know a huge concern for Bourn is losing the 11th pick. But signing him to a deal could also make him trade bait at the deadline if this team is out of contention.. We could possibly get a better value (a more MLB-ready prospect with similar potential.. ala Wheeler/TdA) than that 11th pick by trading him.

And.. Let's say this team with Bourn becomes a contender, then next offseason the Mets are only an OF piece away from being a legit team.

I think the 11th pick is a little overvalued when compared to the value of Bourn to the Mets by a landslide
    I think the Mets are more concerned with giving Bourn 5 years than they are particularly in losing the 11th pick.

If they can get Bourn for 3 years i am sure they would do it but from all sources Bourn still wants 5 years and that's pretty typical of a Scott Bora's client.

This is a totality type deal, you don't want to lose the 11th pick and drastically overpay Bourn.

I honestly think he signs with a team who has a protected pick (and that's if there are any teams willing to meet his price while rebuilding) and more likely a team who is going for it and doesn't mind losing 25-30th pick in the first round.

He really has a very limited market this late in the offseason.
    Last edited by metswon69; 02-03-2013 at 06:20 PM.

vCash
    No, Sandy made it clear that losing the pick is most concerning.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    No, Sandy made it clear that losing the pick is most concerning.
    He said that but if they could get him on a 3 year deal i think they would pull the trigger and lose that 11th pick.

Bourn wanting 5 years is still an issue here, that's why no teams have bit yet.

Who wouldn't want Bourn at 3 years?
    Last edited by metswon69; 02-03-2013 at 06:31 PM.

vCash
    No they aren't interested in that. He made it clear that the 11th pick is pretty much untouchable under all circumstances. Giving up that pick would hurt our draft very much because of that bonus pool.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    No they aren't interested in that. He made it clear that the 11th pick is pretty much untouchable under all circumstances. Giving up that pick would hurt our draft very much because of that bonus pool.
    Losing the money in the draft pool doesn't mean much if they can get Bourn for 3 years.

Unless they are going to go drastically underslot on their 11th pick and use that money through the rest of the draft.

Which i doubt they get an Austin Wilson, Jonathan Crawford, or Justin Williams if they decide to do that.
    Last edited by metswon69; 02-03-2013 at 10:24 PM.

vCash
    I'd rather the Mets stick with what they have. Draft as well as they can this year/take the best palyer available. Bring up the kids mid-year. Then possibly get a top ten draft pick next year.

vCash
    At this point it sounds like Sandy will be able to get the 1st round pick protected if he can come to an agreement with Bourn - which is great work on Sandy's part.

Now the hangup seems to be Boras leveraging all of this, as expected, to get more.

So waiting game it is - but I really hope this one works out for the Mets. He'd help in so many ways for this team.
    Go Grab My Belt

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    At this point it sounds like Sandy will be able to get the 1st round pick protected if he can come to an agreement with Bourn - which is great work on Sandy's part.

Now the hangup seems to be Boras leveraging all of this, as expected, to get more.

So waiting game it is - but I really hope this one works out for the Mets. He'd help in so many ways for this team.
    Where did you hear that? Is there new information? I can't find anything legit to substantiate this.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    Just based on what Gammons wrote a few days ago. Cerrone also felt this was the case this morning on his blog.

Hardly evidence - but you're not getting more than that type of information on an issue like this right now.
    Go Grab My Belt

vCash
    jorgeccastillo Re: Bourn, Alderson says he would want contract agreed on before going to MLB about draft pick.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    jorgeccastillo Alderson: compensation draft pick rule doesn't need change--interpretation does. Says if spirit of it is competition, they should keep it.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    jorgeccastillo Alderson: "We're at the point where we can make significant improvement in a hurry." #mets

vCash
    jorgeccastillo Alderson: "I don't think it's a leap of faith to think we can be very good." #mets

vCash
    If they want to be good they are gonna need for a lot of things to break right this year especially in that OF.

I would like our chances a lot more if they got Bourn.

There still a 75 win or so team to me the way they are currently constructed.
    Last edited by metswon69; 02-04-2013 at 03:01 PM.

Page 31 of 57 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast