Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 28 of 57 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast
Results 406 to 420 of 846
  1. #406
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    27,078
    vCash
    1500
    I think we both agree that he's a 3 year guy, at most a 4 year one. Anything more than that you're asking for trouble.

    But I do believe he can be had for 3 plus an option.

    We'll Leave a Light On For You


    Believers: mets77, JoeGamer81, Harry777, YoungStuna, Sandman, METMANYAK, FoC, Gotta, WrigheyesMVP, Mr. Koobs

  2. #407
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    21,499
    vCash
    1500
    Yep no arguments there..

  3. #408
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Northport, LI
    Posts
    1,115
    vCash
    1500

    Wink

    There has to be an argument, otherwise this thread is going to die.
    Scarecrow: I haven't got a brain... only straw.
    Dorothy: How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
    Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
    Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

  4. #409
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,858
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by eltwo View Post
    There has to be an argument, otherwise this thread is going to die.
    Then maybe I should mention that I think he's worth as much as Prince Fielder. That should get things going....


  5. #410
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    24,927
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by KnIckFaN.2883 View Post
    I'm very skeptical of bourn beacuse of his age but if say the mets sign him to three years 45 million and he exceds expectations then i will admit that i would be wrong about the signing. I just don't know.
    I am very skeptical as well. A very limited track record of being a great player and will command a very large contract.
    Extremely risky business signing him.

  6. #411
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Asheville, NC
    Posts
    29,121
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by eltwo View Post
    There has to be an argument, otherwise this thread is going to die.
    As long as we are arguing about Bourn and not fake dinners and helicopter rides we can get this forum back on track.

  7. #412
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Up along first, behind the bag.
    Posts
    1,146
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by metsbulls1025 View Post
    As long as we are arguing about Bourn and not fake dinners and helicopter rides we can get this forum back on track.
    It's almost February and the Mets have signed a single Major League player - an often injured pitcher who's thrown 200 innings just once in a seven year career. Because of this he came pretty cheap.

    Meanwhile they lost the reigning Cy Young Award winner and their best outfielder.

    This is the off-season's big story. Ownership and management is malignant and dishonest.

    Focusing on this IS keeping the forum on track.

    Having a big discussion thread about high priced free agents the Mets are unlikely to sign is like having a thread about unicorns. Believe the nonsense if you want, but don't feel everyone else is obligated to share the fantasy.

  8. #413
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    East of the Sun, West of the Moon
    Posts
    15,325
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Coupon View Post
    It's almost February and the Mets have signed a single Major League player - an often injured pitcher who's thrown 200 innings just once in a seven year career. Because of this he came pretty cheap.

    Meanwhile they lost the reigning Cy Young Award winner and their best outfielder.

    This is the off-season's big story. Ownership and management is malignant and dishonest.

    Focusing on this IS keeping the forum on track.

    Having a big discussion thread about high priced free agents the Mets are unlikely to sign is like having a thread about unicorns. Believe the nonsense if you want, but don't feel everyone else is obligated to share the fantasy.
    Marcum can earn as much as $8 million. His base is $4million. He isn't what I would call cheap.

    The Mets now have signed two major league pitchers.

    The Mets didn't lose Dickey. They traded him.

    Scott Hairston had a nice season, but he's not worth worrying about losing.

    If you characterize ownership as being dishonest, I think you are more dishonest for consistently misrepresenting reality.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

  9. #414
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Up along first, behind the bag.
    Posts
    1,146
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Marcum can earn as much as $8 million. His base is $4million. He isn't what I would call cheap.

    The Mets now have signed two major league pitchers.

    The Mets didn't lose Dickey. They traded him.

    Scott Hairston had a nice season, but he's not worth worrying about losing.

    If you characterize ownership as being dishonest, I think you are more dishonest for consistently misrepresenting reality.
    Which two have they signed? As far as I know, the only player that hasn't been signed to a Minor League contract this off-season is Marcum. Hawkins signed a Minor League deal. So unsurprisingly you're wrong.

    You think I'm more dishonest than ownership? That doesn't say much. You think the Wilpons are honest men with great integrity, so in your opinion that could make me generally honest, too. Maybe not as noble as the Wilpons - in your opinion - but you hold them on a pedestal, so I doubt any lowly Met fan could ever measure up to their standard... In your opinion.

    You blast Met fans regularly, while defending ownership incessantly. It'd be inconsistent of you to do otherwise.

  10. #415
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    24,927
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Coupon View Post
    Which two have they signed? As far as I know, the only player that hasn't been signed to a Minor League contract this off-season is Marcum. Hawkins signed a Minor League deal. So unsurprisingly you're wrong.

    You think I'm more dishonest than ownership? That doesn't say much. You think the Wilpons are honest men with great integrity, so in your opinion that could make me generally honest, too. Maybe not as noble as the Wilpons - in your opinion - but you hold them on a pedestal, so I doubt any lowly Met fan could ever measure up to their standard... In your opinion.

    You blast Met fans regularly, while defending ownership incessantly. It'd be inconsistent of you to do otherwise.
    As I just mentioned in another thread, Hawkins is most definitely a major league player. Not giving him a guaranteed MLB contract and waiting to see how it goes in ST is a PLUS, not something that somehow makes it a bad move and him a lesser player.

    And yes you are incredibly dishonest and spin good or neutral things into "ZOMG we lost the cy young winner" without mentioning the great return we got for him, or saying an 18 year vet isn't an MLB player.
    Last edited by cambovenzi; 01-31-2013 at 11:32 AM.

  11. #416
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    East of the Sun, West of the Moon
    Posts
    15,325
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Coupon View Post
    Which two have they signed? As far as I know, the only player that hasn't been signed to a Minor League contract this off-season is Marcum. Hawkins signed a Minor League deal. So unsurprisingly you're wrong.
    I stated that they signed two Major League pitchers. Both Marcum and Hawkins are established MLB pitchers. They have proven to be effective at that level.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

  12. #417
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    27,391
    vCash
    1500
    Gammons
    I got the sense yesterday that there’s some optimism that the Mets are gonna be able to pull this off – sign Michael Bourn and not give up the [first round] draft choice. Now, the argument by the Mets, by the players association, and of course by Scott Boras is that the first 10 picks are protected. The Mets have the 11th pick. But the 8th pick was awarded to the Pirates because they didn’t sign their number 1 pick last year. So, they’re [the Mets] arguing that actually, in reality, the 10th pick is actually the Mets pick, it’s protected, they don’t have to give up the number 1 [11th overall]. And I sensed yesterday that there’s real optimism that this may get done.
    Rosenthal
    There is a possibility, but this idea that the Mets are going to be allowed to forfeit a second round pick instead of a first rounder, because they draft 11th, and because they only draft 11th due to the Pirates getting back into the first round for not signing their first round pick last year – I don’t see that happening, and here’s why: The basic agreement clearly states that the top 10 picks are the ones protected. Those are the teams that can’t lose their first round picks. It does not account for any teams after that, and I have a really hard time believing that Major League baseball is going to allow the basic agreement to be changed for one team, the New York Mets, because the New York Mets are in an unfortunate position here. You do that, the other teams scream ‘hey, why are the Mets getting this break?’ And you do that also, there’s a precedent now. Next year’s number 11 team could be in the same position if another team sneaks into the first round, and it’s just a bad path to go down. I don’t see that happening…


    ďNinety percent Iíll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent Iíll probably waste.Ē
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

  13. #418
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    50,993
    vCash
    1500
    I just do not understand how this would cause a bad precedent. If the same thing happens next year, then the team with the 11th pick should have their pick protected as well. It's just a flawed rule.

  14. #419
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    27,391
    vCash
    1500
    MLB could rule to protect the Mets’ first-round draft pick for Bourn


    This morning on MLB Network, Peter Gammons said he had feels MLB will protect the Mets first-round draft if they sign a player requiring draft-pick compensation.

    If that happens, there is “real optimism,” according to Gammons, that free-agent OF Michael Bourn will sign with the Mets.

    However, later in the broadcast, FoxSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal said he doesn’t believe the league will protect the pick because it sets a precedent.

    In either case, as has been reported time and time again, Gammons said the Mets will not give up their top draft pick to sign Bourn.
    http://metsblog.com/rumors/outfield/...ays-they-wont/


    ďNinety percent Iíll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent Iíll probably waste.Ē
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

  15. #420
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    21,499
    vCash
    1500
    I don't see the Mets signing Bourn unless they get the assurance first the pick is protected.

    Especially if he is stuck on signing for 5 years.

    This is really a catch 22 situation..
    Last edited by metswon69; 02-01-2013 at 04:35 PM.

Page 28 of 57 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •