Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 22 of 57 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Well, lets look at it this way...Will the Mets actually draft someone with that 11th pick who will make our team better? Or, will Michael Bourn make our team better over the next 3 years? We won't know until something happens.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nymetsrule View Post
    Well, lets look at it this way...Will the Mets actually draft someone with that 11th pick who will make our team better? Or, will Michael Bourn make our team better over the next 3 years? We won't know until something happens.

They might do, and he'll probably be 5 years away anyway.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by acerimusdux View Post
    I'm thinking I would probably make a real lowball offer. Much as we could use Bourn, his defense is a big part of his value. Guys like that haven't traditionally been valued so highly.

When the Mets signed Mike Cameron in 2004, they got him for 3 years for $19.5M. I think Cameron had similar value at the time. Bourn is a year younger, so he should get the 4th year. Add in 9 years of salary inflation, and maybe he would get $10M a year. Granted, I thought Cameron was a steal at the time, but we also didn't give up any draft pick for him.

That said, I would probably still make an offer like 4/44. I'm not expecting that to be enough, but I have no idea what teams like Seattle and Baltimore are bidding. And I'm not eager to give up that draft pick for a guy like Bourn, unless he really falls into our lap. Much as I'm tempted to go higher, just due to the desperate lack of outfield talent here, it's probably best not to.
    I'm with you on that. I really wouldn't offer any more than that. Maybe 4/50 because that's slightly more than what Pagan got.

vCash
    Keep the pick Mets are not doing anything anytime soon. Until they are willing to spend real money I dont want patch work players

vCash
    I have to respectfully disagree.

We are all hoping our young guys blossom, but the problem is that we don't know when that will happen.
    What if the team puts up a first half like last year, but doesn't collapse? And further suppose d'Arnaud and Wheeler are with the team. As it stands now, we have no real major league outfielders (that can both hit and field). If Kirk Nieuwenhuisis on the team, we could live with him playing one of the outfield spots, but there is no way we could trade for TWO outfielders.

Going forward, if we are going to build the outfield, even in 2014, we'll have to show something in order for a Free Agent to want to come here.
    Scarecrow: I haven't got a brain... only straw.
    Dorothy: How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
    Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
    Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by eltwo View Post
    Going forward, if we are going to build the outfield, even in 2014, we'll have to show something in order for a Free Agent to want to come here.
    See this is what i disagree with.

The Mets don't have to show anything besides money to attract possible incoming FA.

If the Mets outbid another team(s), for the likes of a Hunter Pence or a Jacoby Ellsbury, they'll come here.

That's what 99% of these athletes care about first and foremost.
    Last edited by metswon69; 01-29-2013 at 01:28 PM.

vCash
    1. Bourn would be a good addition for the Mets. While his value is speed and defense, these are more not less valuable in Citifield.

2. Over the past 6-7 seasons, the average OBP for leadoff and the second hitter has been in 337-339 range. In 4 of the last five seasons, he exceeded that.

3. The potential loss of speed is vastly overated. It depends upon body type. Carlos Lee had the type of body that loses speed. Reyes,Bourn don't have that body type. As far as freak injury is concerned, you do realize that many power hitter such as Dunn would lose a low of power because they use their legs in their swing.

vCash
    As much as the possible decline of speed and defense scares people, a 3-year deal would be amazing. Bourn is in the prime of his career. Over three years his speed should not rapidly decline, if decline at all. Everyone says Jacoby is a better option yet he's always hurt, and I believe he is also 30 next offseason...

Bourn would bring credibility to this OF and this roster in 2013, and in 2014 as a potential landing spot for other FA. Like most people are saying, this team does become a potential 80 win team.

The rotation would be solid, the lineup is a Duda breakout season away from becoming a good enough threat to be a WC team for sure.... and if the bullpen is actually solid, I know I said if.. but if it does become solid this team would be very competitive.

That's not even adding in the factor of Wheeler, d'Arnaud being AS caliber players, or an addition from the 2014 Free Agent class.
    #oneatatime

vCash
    I'm going to be honest, I have a feeling we get Bourn in the end. It seems no one else is really involved, and we went and met with him. It also seems he wants to come here, as his camp is trying to get the Mets to sign him

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rpagz3 View Post
    As much as the possible decline of speed and defense scares people, a 3-year deal would be amazing. Bourn is in the prime of his career. Over three years his speed should not rapidly decline, if decline at all. Everyone says Jacoby is a better option yet he's always hurt, and I believe he is also 30 next offseason...

Bourn would bring credibility to this OF and this roster in 2013, and in 2014 as a potential landing spot for other FA. Like most people are saying, this team does become a potential 80 win team.

The rotation would be solid, the lineup is a Duda breakout season away from becoming a good enough threat to be a WC team for sure.... and if the bullpen is actually solid, I know I said if.. but if it does become solid this team would be very competitive.

That's not even adding in the factor of Wheeler, d'Arnaud being AS caliber players, or an addition from the 2014 Free Agent class.
    Couldn't have said it better myself man

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    I'm with you on that. I really wouldn't offer any more than that. Maybe 4/50 because that's slightly more than what Pagan got.
    Yeah, looking at what other people got, and Victorino even got offered 4/40 by the Indians, it's pretty clear Bourn will get at least 4/50. I would even consider 5/60, but at that point I'm pretty indifferent. I still wouldn't kill them for paying 5/65, given the late date and obvious need. But I'd think another team not giving up the high pick should be willing to go to 5/70.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    See this is what i disagree with.

The Mets don't have to show anything besides money to attract possible incoming FA.

If the Mets outbid another team(s), for the likes of a Hunter Pence or a Jacoby Ellsbury, they'll come here.

That's what 99% of these athletes care about first and foremost.

And we know money is tight, so who are they going to outbid?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    And we know money is tight, so who are they going to outbid?
    If they were going to commit 13-15 million dollars a year to Michael Bourn, they should be in the market for other FA next year.

To assume otherwise is to believe they were never in the market for Bourn either.
    Last edited by metswon69; 01-29-2013 at 02:37 PM.

vCash
    If we didnt have to give up our 1st round pick Bourne would have already signed IMO... the feeling around the league is that MLB wont change their ruling. I am very torn about this as we still need to stock up on high upside players in our Farm... at the same time Bourne at a reasonable price (4/40, or 3/40 with a team option for the 4th year) would immediately give credibility to our outfield

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    If they were going to commit 13-15 million dollars a year to Michael Bourn, they should be in the market for other FA next year.

To assume otherwise is to believe they were never in the market for Bourn either.

Yeah, but were they, really?

They have made sure there were two barriers were in the way of any Bourn signing. To me, they're not serious about Bourn, it's just posturing.

Tell me who you would pay $15M a year to next year? Corey Hart?

Page 22 of 57 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast