Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 57 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I doubt they sign him. If there was any real desire we'd have heard about it before now - it would have been part of something resembling a plan. Stories about "serious interest" in Bourne only appeared when fan disgust and criticism over the outfield reached a fever pitch.

Smells like a deception. The way it's been set up they even have their excuse for not signing him prearranged. When the league, predictably, doesn't change the rules to protect the number 11 draft pick, the front office will then say "sorry, we wanted to spend $100 million on Bourne - really we did - but the league would have made us forfeit our precious draft pick. This would have jeopardized our entire rebuild"

It's all pretty predictable. I'm surprised people are taking this story at face value. Nothing's impossible, but this organization seldom does anything on the level. They specialize in deceit. I'll believe they sign a major free agent this year when I see it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coupon View Post
    I doubt they sign him. If there was any real desire we'd have heard about it before now - it would have been part of something resembling a plan. Stories about "serious interest" in Bourne only appeared when fan disgust and criticism over the outfield reached a fever pitch.

Smells like a deception. The way it's been set up they even have their excuse for not signing him prearranged. When the league, predictably, doesn't change the rules to protect the number 11 draft pick, the front office will then say "sorry, we wanted to spend $100 million on Bourne - really we did - but the league would have made us forfeit our precious draft pick. This would have jeopardized our entire rebuild"

It's all pretty predictable. I'm surprised people are taking this story at face value. Nothing's impossible, but this organization seldom does anything on the level. They specialize in deceit. I'll believe they sign a major free agent this year when I see it.
    Thing is, signing Bourn hurts the 2013 draft substantially because they lose the $2.6M to spend in the draft by losing that pick. So if they don't sign him, it's understandable.

vCash
    I'd would like to sign him and and keep our pick, but why in god's name would they let us do it? Rules are rules.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    Thing is, signing Bourn hurts the 2013 draft substantially because they lose the $2.6M to spend in the draft by losing that pick. So if they don't sign him, it's understandable.
    Draft pick or no draft pick I don't see them spending that money.

The whole notion has to be considered obvious nonsense until there's some evidence of a desire to spend and compete.

vCash
    We'll have to see what his demands are.

The closer we get to ST the more leverage the Mets have to dictate terms of the deal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coupon View Post
    Draft pick or no draft pick I don't see them spending that money.

The whole notion has to be considered obvious nonsense until there's some evidence of a desire to spend and compete.
    If Bourn didn't cost a draft pick, I think the Mets would be more aggressive on him.

vCash
    If Bourn didn't cost a draft pick, I think the Mets would be more aggressive on him.
    What's the salary minimum for a type A free agent?

they should give him a couple of million under it and differ the rest as incentives,but make the incentives incredibly easy like "play 10 games", "steal 5 bases",etc.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rebuilding View Post
    What's the salary minimum for a type A free agent?

they should give him a couple of million under it and differ the rest as incentives,but make the incentives incredibly easy like "play 10 games", "steal 5 bases",etc.
    I don't understand the question. Also Type A/B free agents no longer exist.

vCash
    Bourn is a sub .300 hitter, no power and his entire game revolves around his speed. He is 30 years old. I wouldn't give him anything more than a 2 year deal with a 3rd year team option.

Bourn is another Roger Cedeno, very similar stats. He was out of baseball at his age 30 season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    We have one bad contract, with one year left. Let's not over-dramamtize the situation now.

We will never compete without fixing this OF and there's not much in the farm, and we've seen Dud, we've seen KN - MDD K's like Adam Dunn, they're not good options.
    I said I wouldn't mind Bourn if it's for two years but from what I heard Bourn wants five years and if the Mets were to sign him the contract would be backloaded when Bourn is in his mid 30's. What good will Bourn be if he can't steal bases? I want him now for two years while he still can steal 60 bases not in his mid 30's losing his speed. Isn't one of the reasons the Mets never resigned Reyes was because he was a guy who depended heavily on his wheels and they were afraid he would breakdown towards the end of the contract?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BradHolt4CYoung View Post
    Bourn is a sub .300 hitter, no power and his entire game revolves around his speed. He is 30 years old. I wouldn't give him anything more than a 2 year deal with a 3rd year team option.

Bourn is another Roger Cedeno, very similar stats. He was out of baseball at his age 30 season.
    He has little power, not no power as his .117 ISO suggests. Even if his speed regresses some, he'll still be a very good outfielder and he gets on base enough to be a lead-off hitter.

He'd be a nice addition. 30 years old is not that old as he just had his best season. A 4 year deal from ages 30-33 is more than reasonable if you ask me.

And he and Roger Cedeno are literally NOTHING alike. Cmon dude.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    And how is that bad thing?

I'm sick and tired of waiting around. It's been 6 years of garbage and disappointment, enough is enough.
    The Mets lost their ace Cy Yound winner from 2012 in Dickey, their lone outfielder with pop in Hairston not to mention Reyes the previous year so how is just adding Bourn to this lineup make them threats for a wild card? They need a whole lot more to even sniff what Washinton and Atlanta are cooking.

vCash
    He has little power, not no power as his .117 ISO suggests. Even if his speed regresses some, he'll still be a very good outfielder and he gets on base enough to be a lead-off hitter.

He'd be a nice addition. 30 years old is not that old as he just had his best season. A 4 year deal from ages 30-33 is more than reasonable if you ask me.

And he and Roger Cedeno are literally NOTHING alike. Cmon dude.
    I like Bourne, but IDK about a 4 year deal to be perfectly honest.
    DUDA

Quote Originally Posted by VendettaRed07 View Post
    noah is gonna be a beast man.

with him and harvey, its like were gonna have Goku and Vegetta in the same rotation

vCash
    Bourn just had his best season, how do you know that?
    These are the times you want to avoid a player like Bourn. He just had his best seasons. Probability indicates that even if he does "ok", it won't be to the level of the last 3-4 seasons.

The time to have him on your roster was 3-4 years ago.

vCash
    Bourn just had his best season, how do you know that?

He's an elite defender at a premium position. He gets on base and has a ton of speed, he's a perfect fit for this ballpark. He is not overrated at all, BJ Upton is the guy who gets overrated.
    Don't even listen to these people poo-poo'ing Bourn. They don't know what the hell they are talking about. Bourn would be a coup if you can get him, especially if you save your draft pick.

Page 6 of 57 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast