Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Subban

vCash

Subban

Rumors swirling that he and Jamie Benn both are potentially available, given the offer.

Subban would be exactly what the Dr. ordered for our defense: he can flat-out skate, he's aggressive, he can score, and he plays solid defense 95% of the time.

Benn would be fantastic on the second line and could step right in to provide some instant offense, along with another strong two-way forward for the PK. He's a notch below Giroux in terms of offensive creativity, but he can put the puck in the back of the net.

Problem is the cost: what would we be able to part with in order to make an attractive offer to Montreal or Dallas?
    Last edited by Ace23; 01-24-2013 at 02:49 PM. Reason: I learned how to spell Jamie

vCash
    Think you mean jamie benn dude. No worries lol.

Both would be nice additions of course. Subban i hate but only because hes a punk that plays on another team. Truthfully hes a perfect fit for the Flyers in every way. Dont know what it would take to grab him though. Would think the price would be steep

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyeaglesman View Post

Both would be nice additions of course. Subban i hate but only because hes a punk that plays on another team. Truthfully hes a perfect fit for the Flyers in every way. Dont know what it would take to grab him though. Would think the price would be steep
    I'd imagine the price would be high as well, unless Homer drops a very attractive Offer Sheet in front of PK. From what I've heard from a few hockey people in CA, the Habs don't want to give Subban a long-term deal. They've also been taking a number of shots at Subban's character and locker-room presence, which is something you don't do unless you're planning on getting rid of him.

The question, I think, is how much they'd want for him. Obviously at least 2-3 first round picks would be involved, since we don't have the prospects to really give them what they want.

vCash
    No thank you, I don't give two ***** what Subban has to offer this team. I want nothing to do with any whiny little pansy who goes cryin to referees and attempts to chew out guys half his size. He's a ***** and any win we'd get with him on our team would just leave a sour taste.

Besides this bone that he's giving to Montreal has disloyal selfish **** written all over it and I never respect anybody with that attitude, I don't give a **** who you are. He's not at all worth the money he's commanding.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace23 View Post
    Rumors swirling that he and Jamie Benn both are potentially available, given the offer.

Subban would be exactly what the Dr. ordered for our defense: he can flat-out skate, he's aggressive, he can score, and he plays solid defense 95% of the time.

Benn would be fantastic on the second line and could step right in to provide some instant offense, along with another strong two-way forward for the PK. He's a notch below Giroux in terms of offensive creativity, but he can put the puck in the back of the net.

Problem is the cost: what would we be able to part with in order to make an attractive offer to Montreal or Dallas?
    You can bet any trade offer would have to start with Couturier, and include at least a first rounder. Given team needs vs team surplus... who knows. I'm not a fan of Subban's attitude, but.....
    "Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly upon our own point of view.", "The circle is now complete. When I left you I was but the learner, now I am the master.", "I find your lack of faith disturbing.", "I can feel your anger... it gives you focus, it makes you stronger!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Hudson View Post
    No thank you, I don't give two ***** what Subban has to offer this team. I want nothing to do with any whiny little pansy who goes cryin to referees and attempts to chew out guys half his size. He's a ***** and any win we'd get with him on our team would just leave a sour taste.

Besides this bone that he's giving to Montreal has disloyal selfish **** written all over it and I never respect anybody with that attitude, I don't give a **** who you are. He's not at all worth the money he's commanding.
    Ordinarily I'd agree with you....but many of the same things were said about Simmonds when he first came into the league. He's got an attitude problem...picks fights...talks a lot on the ice...etc.

Beyond all of that, the point remains that Subban is young and can flat-out play. He's the type of player that can QB a PP, jump up on the odd-man rush, and make that crisp first pass out of the zone that's needed to get the offense going.

Right now, the only player defensive on the roster that has something that resembles that skill set is Timonen, and his skill as a PP QB isn't on par with Subban's. However, if this is going to cost us Couturier, I'm not sure I'm all in for that. I don't think Subban wants to remain in MON, despite what he's said.

If we can get him for picks+prospects, I'm all for it. But otherwise, I'm not a fan of moving a player with Couturier's level of skill, especially with Malkin + Crosby, Richards + Nash, and Zajac in our division.

vCash
    I think the defense is fine

Problem is the puck is always in our end due to a weak offense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Stevens View Post

Defense leaves something to be desired, still. Devils game clearly demonstrated that we're slow on the back-end. PP failures and second-unit struggles are also a result of lack of PP QB.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Stevens View Post

Defense is slow. Too slow. No offense, almost, at all, back there. The only skater/puck mover back there is 38 years old.

Subban is almost exactly what we're missing. That said, I don't think we're really in the position to make that kind of a move.
    Don't give up on us now...

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Henry, House of Burgess, 1775
    Give me the playoffs...or give me death!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Defense is slow. Too slow. No offense, almost, at all, back there. The only skater/puck mover back there is 38 years old.

Subban is almost exactly what we're missing. That said, I don't think we're really in the position to make that kind of a move.
    The problem with Subban isnt as much with his attitude as it is with the fact that he is going to cost us a boatload of future talent PLUS you still have to sign him. If you give up that many assets for him and then sign him to 5+ million long term like he is asking and you are pretty much giving Schenn and Couts a green light to demand the same. That doesn't put us in great cap shape a few years down the road.

Plus if Montreal asks for Couts + or 4 firsts then I hang up laughing. We werent willing to give up Couts + for Weber who is possibly a perfect fit to replace Pronger but we are going to do it for PK Subban???? Sorry Subban is good but not in the same league as Shea Weber.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace23 View Post
    Ordinarily I'd agree with you....but many of the same things were said about Simmonds when he first came into the league. He's got an attitude problem...picks fights...talks a lot on the ice...etc.

Beyond all of that, the point remains that Subban is young and can flat-out play. He's the type of player that can QB a PP, jump up on the odd-man rush, and make that crisp first pass out of the zone that's needed to get the offense going.

Right now, the only player defensive on the roster that has something that resembles that skill set is Timonen, and his skill as a PP QB isn't on par with Subban's. However, if this is going to cost us Couturier, I'm not sure I'm all in for that. I don't think Subban wants to remain in MON, despite what he's said.

If we can get him for picks+prospects, I'm all for it. But otherwise, I'm not a fan of moving a player with Couturier's level of skill, especially with Malkin + Crosby, Richards + Nash, and Zajac in our division.

That's also got a lot to do with it. I cringe at who we'd have to give up in order to acquire a guy I don't even like. There's gotta be a better path to take than Subban. There's so many young up-and-comer D-men out there that impress me more than what I've seen outta Subban. While I understand they're not RFA's, Kevin Shattenkirk, Erik Johnson, Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Erik Karlsson etc etc are all guys I'd consider looking at before Subban. I'm aware each of their respective clubs aren't willing to part with them so easy, but neither is Montreal with Subban so I figure if we're unfortunatley gonna have to part with either Schenn, Couts, Simmonds, Vorachek or Read in order to acquire a young D-man then I atleast want a guy who doesn't take stupid penalties and won't be getting plowed over at the blueline by guys who are 2 inches shorter than him.

Besides, next years class of UFA's has a lot of good names out there defenseman-wise that are worth checking out. I figure why give up one of our guys when we can just bring in a hired gun.
    Last edited by Ernie Hudson; 01-25-2013 at 04:00 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyeaglesman View Post

Every day he doesnt resign the price drops for him imo

lol bryz

vCash
    Subban is a cancer and being on the Flyers team he would be in the penalty box more times than not....... No thank you !
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

vCash
    Question who was the last player to whine about money and act like a ***** in Philly?

I don't think Subban could pull a stunt like that here. With that being said Montreal can't keep this stare down up much longer. It doesn't benefit them. But dropping the asking price doesn't do them justice either. Theirs no way the Flyers are in play for Subban.
    Philadelphia Flyers Philadelphia Phillies
    Seattle Seahawks Cincinnati Bengals
    Phoenix Suns
    Notre Dame Fighting Irish Kansas Jayhawks

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FLYER-FAN View Post
    Subban is a cancer and being on the Flyers team he would be in the penalty box more times than not....... No thank you !
    Subban hasn't even ever been in the top 20 in penalty minutes. he was 21st last year, 25th the year before. hartnell was ahead of him both years.

he's not really that much of a PIM risk.

i don't like him either, but it's only because he's a pest and a punk that plays on another team. if he started here, every Flyers fan would ultimately love him and maybe hate him for a few moments (just like with hartnell).

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast