Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 115

Thread: Revis ?

  1. #91
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    In this thread
    Posts
    19,235
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by YEDN90 View Post
    Revis is 27 Bendzy
    I forget what site I looked on, but it definitely said 31. Should have known that wasn't right and double checked. Oh well.
    PHILLIES EAGLES FLYERS SIXERS



  2. #92
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Poconos
    Posts
    10,669
    vCash
    1500
    Adam S "suggesting" so take that lightly that the 49ers should trade for him. Alex Smith and a 2nd for Revis...


    thats a damn good trade for the 49ers.... losing cap money on a QB that they wont use but as a backup and netting Revis while having to give up a 2nd.

    damn all day!

    Check out our website for Philly Sports .
    Or PM me if you ever need a WEBSITE of course that will cost ya.

  3. #93
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2,316
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofphilly View Post
    Adam S "suggesting" so take that lightly that the 49ers should trade for him. Alex Smith and a 2nd for Revis...


    thats a damn good trade for the 49ers.... losing cap money on a QB that they wont use but as a backup and netting Revis while having to give up a 2nd.

    damn all day!
    Yay,just what the niners need...to get better.

  4. #94
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    404
    vCash
    1500
    Revis should be the last thing management is thinking about

  5. #95
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,020
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbendz View Post
    I forget what site I looked on, but it definitely said 31. Should have known that wasn't right and double checked. Oh well.
    They were probably referring to Aso
    PSD's c_reinert

  6. #96
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,020
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofphilly View Post
    Adam S "suggesting" so take that lightly that the 49ers should trade for him. Alex Smith and a 2nd for Revis...


    thats a damn good trade for the 49ers.... losing cap money on a QB that they wont use but as a backup and netting Revis while having to give up a 2nd.

    damn all day!
    Im not sold that the Jets would take that. Maybe if the 9ers threw in a 3rd or 4th as well
    PSD's c_reinert

  7. #97
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,020
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by godunkadunk8 View Post
    Plus if we traded picks next year then how would we be able to stockpile all the "athletes" without positions in next year's draft?
    Tebow, Devin Hester, Dexter McCluster, Terrel Pryor and Vernon Gholston will all be available in the offseason. We will be fine
    PSD's c_reinert

  8. #98
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,020
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    Or we could just throw much needed money at overpriced, injury unknown, FA's during a time of rebuilding, further delaying getting where we need to be in order to realistically compete. Who's with me?
    rebuilding by definition delays us from competing. Additionally, some of the most successful players the Eagles have had were FA's or acquired from other teams

    Jon Runyan
    Jason Peters
    Evan Mathis
    Mike Vick
    Demeco Ryans
    Terrell Owens
    Asante Samuel
    Jason Babin
    Cullen Jenkins
    Jeremiah Trotter
    Troy Vincent
    Jevon Kearse
    Ricky Waters
    David Akers

    There is certainly good reason to bring in quality veterans, both successful FA signings and drafting players are necessary. Despite adding all these players, you cant exactly argue that the Eagles were unable to draft and sign young players. The two arent mutually exclusive. Maximizing value at both as best you can is how you succeed
    PSD's c_reinert

  9. #99
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    40,024
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by c_reinert View Post
    rebuilding by definition delays us from competing. Additionally, some of the most successful players the Eagles have had were FA's or acquired from other teams

    Jon Runyan
    Jason Peters
    Evan Mathis
    Mike Vick
    Demeco Ryans
    Terrell Owens
    Asante Samuel
    Jason Babin
    Cullen Jenkins
    Jeremiah Trotter
    Troy Vincent
    Jevon Kearse
    Ricky Waters
    David Akers

    There is certainly good reason to bring in quality veterans, both successful FA signings and drafting players are necessary. Despite adding all these players, you cant exactly argue that the Eagles were unable to draft and sign young players. The two arent mutually exclusive. Maximizing value at both as best you can is how you succeed
    FA signings, however, are usually to supplement the team, not make the team. None of those players listed above were added to an already losing team, unless you count Demeco Ryans and Runyan, but both we were added to teams who were expected to compete. I'm not so sure we're expected to compete next year. The bulk of those players were added to good teams to make them better. Right now? We're not a good team. And we've seen what some of our recent FA signings have done. Babin was useful for one season, Aso and DRC were largely busts based on what they could/should have been. Cullen Jenkins is probably gone next year. Then you can look at some of those guys who just never panned out, like Kearse who spent a ton of time on the shelf and T.O. who was great for 1 season but was shipped out the next. A few of those guys, like Vick and Akers were never picked up to be anything to begin with outside of an UDFA and a guy coming back from jail.

    A lot of those players did give this team value for some time, but you'd also be hard pressed to find any who didn't come with some huge caveats in terms of injury or performance or attitude. The real players who have made this franchise, Brian Dawkins, Donovan McNabb, Brian Westbrook, Duce Staley, Tra Thomas, Jeremiah Trotter (we drafted him), Trent Cole.....those guys were drafted by us. I'm a fan of drafting the major players and supplementing through FA holes that you have. This team today....I don't think we're ready for major trades or major FA spending. Seems like a lot of stop-gap actions that way.
    #WhyNot?

    People ask me, "Why here? Why Kentucky?", I said "Why not"? It can be done here. It will be done here. Lay the foundation. Recruit and develop. Prepare to win. Day by day. Play by play. A new era of high performance. Why Kentucky? Why not? -Mark Stoops

  10. #100
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    43,579
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    FA signings, however, are usually to supplement the team, not make the team. None of those players listed above were added to an already losing team, unless you count Demeco Ryans and Runyan, but both we were added to teams who were expected to compete. I'm not so sure we're expected to compete next year. The bulk of those players were added to good teams to make them better. Right now? We're not a good team. And we've seen what some of our recent FA signings have done. Babin was useful for one season, Aso and DRC were largely busts based on what they could/should have been. Cullen Jenkins is probably gone next year. Then you can look at some of those guys who just never panned out, like Kearse who spent a ton of time on the shelf and T.O. who was great for 1 season but was shipped out the next. A few of those guys, like Vick and Akers were never picked up to be anything to begin with outside of an UDFA and a guy coming back from jail.

    A lot of those players did give this team value for some time, but you'd also be hard pressed to find any who didn't come with some huge caveats in terms of injury or performance or attitude. The real players who have made this franchise, Brian Dawkins, Donovan McNabb, Brian Westbrook, Duce Staley, Tra Thomas, Jeremiah Trotter (we drafted him), Trent Cole.....those guys were drafted by us. I'm a fan of drafting the major players and supplementing through FA holes that you have. This team today....I don't think we're ready for major trades or major FA spending. Seems like a lot of stop-gap actions that way.
    And so it was written.
    To some, he was just a boy. A boy who played football, a football player that grew to be a man. A man that took over a city, a city that he made his own, a city that stands behind him in hopes of becoming one of that cities all-time greats. To some, 2013 was a fluke. To some, he can't do it again. To some, he got lucky.

    To us though, to the Philly faithful, that QB is Nick Foles. To us, that's our QB.

  11. #101
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Poconos
    Posts
    10,669
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    FA signings, however, are usually to supplement the team, not make the team. None of those players listed above were added to an already losing team, unless you count Demeco Ryans and Runyan, but both we were added to teams who were expected to compete. I'm not so sure we're expected to compete next year. The bulk of those players were added to good teams to make them better. Right now? We're not a good team. And we've seen what some of our recent FA signings have done. Babin was useful for one season, Aso and DRC were largely busts based on what they could/should have been. Cullen Jenkins is probably gone next year. Then you can look at some of those guys who just never panned out, like Kearse who spent a ton of time on the shelf and T.O. who was great for 1 season but was shipped out the next. A few of those guys, like Vick and Akers were never picked up to be anything to begin with outside of an UDFA and a guy coming back from jail.

    A lot of those players did give this team value for some time, but you'd also be hard pressed to find any who didn't come with some huge caveats in terms of injury or performance or attitude. The real players who have made this franchise, Brian Dawkins, Donovan McNabb, Brian Westbrook, Duce Staley, Tra Thomas, Jeremiah Trotter (we drafted him), Trent Cole.....those guys were drafted by us. I'm a fan of drafting the major players and supplementing through FA holes that you have. This team today....I don't think we're ready for major trades or major FA spending. Seems like a lot of stop-gap actions that way.

    Preach brother preach!

    You draft your team....you sign your holes


    That sounds kinky!

    Check out our website for Philly Sports .
    Or PM me if you ever need a WEBSITE of course that will cost ya.

  12. #102
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,020
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofphilly View Post
    Preach brother preach!

    You draft your team....you sign your holes


    That sounds kinky!
    Right, but why do you feel the two need to be mutually exclusive? Why can you not sign a big FA or two and then have a successful draft class? Whats hurting this team is not FA signing... Its bad FA signing and mediocre drafting (and at times poor coaching).

    What are we going to take at number 4 that would be more valuable than Revis and a 2nd as I mentioned a while back. We gain the best CB in the league (arguably the best defensive player in the game), then we can still fill our 2 biggest draft needs in the 2nd round: OL and S. This draft is very deep in OL and is bottom heavy in OL and DBs.

    The alternative would probably be Millner or Joeckel and a 2nd round OL/DB. Which option has us walking away the most improved? People were already talking about trading back to get more picks because #4 doesnt hold a lot of value to us this season. That would be a possibility in this scenario.

    And also, for everyone making the injury argument. Players need to pass a physical exam or the trade is forfeited. If his knee was completely out of whack or his recovery seemed in some way complicated the trade would be nullified
    PSD's c_reinert

  13. #103
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Durango, Colorado
    Posts
    3,761
    vCash
    3681
    Quote Originally Posted by c_reinert View Post
    Right, but why do you feel the two need to be mutually exclusive? Why can you not sign a big FA or two and then have a successful draft class? Whats hurting this team is not FA signing... Its bad FA signing and mediocre drafting (and at times poor coaching).

    What are we going to take at number 4 that would be more valuable than Revis and a 2nd as I mentioned a while back. We gain the best CB in the league (arguably the best defensive player in the game), then we can still fill our 2 biggest draft needs in the 2nd round: OL and S. This draft is very deep in OL and is bottom heavy in OL and DBs.

    The alternative would probably be Millner or Joeckel and a 2nd round OL/DB. Which option has us walking away the most improved? People were already talking about trading back to get more picks because #4 doesnt hold a lot of value to us this season. That would be a possibility in this scenario.

    And also, for everyone making the injury argument. Players need to pass a physical exam or the trade is forfeited. If his knee was completely out of whack or his recovery seemed in some way complicated the trade would be nullified
    Theres one major hole in your argument, you arent including the totality of the fiscal cost as well as the loss of assets in your argument, you address them separately but not together which is the mistake

    yes if we could get revis for only the money he will cost it would be worth it

    yes if we could get revis for just the draft pick it would be worth it

    but for the money AND the draft pick?

    you argue that he is better than what we could get at #4, examples being Milliner/Joeckel(im also adding Moore and Lotuleilei to that factor), which may be true

    BUT is he better than what we get at #4 AND 2 top FAs? for arguments sake lets say Branden Albert and Jarius Byrd for example, who together would cost about the same that Revis will command when he extends

    Now lets factor in the pick, for examples sake lets say we get Demontre Moore (a blue chip OLB prospect)

    Soooooo, we end up with a starting caliber and borderline top 10 OT, the top safety on the market, and a blue chip impact player at the most important position of a 3-4 defense

    all that for the same total cost of Revis and a 2nd round pick (and remember our last 2 second round picks at safety? Nate Allen and Jaiqwuan Jarrett?)

  14. #104
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    128
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by IgglesFanInCO View Post
    Theres one major hole in your argument, you arent including the totality of the fiscal cost as well as the loss of assets in your argument, you address them separately but not together which is the mistake

    yes if we could get revis for only the money he will cost it would be worth it

    yes if we could get revis for just the draft pick it would be worth it

    but for the money AND the draft pick?

    you argue that he is better than what we could get at #4, examples being Milliner/Joeckel(im also adding Moore and Lotuleilei to that factor), which may be true

    BUT is he better than what we get at #4 AND 2 top FAs? for arguments sake lets say Branden Albert and Jarius Byrd for example, who together would cost about the same that Revis will command when he extends

    Now lets factor in the pick, for examples sake lets say we get Demontre Moore (a blue chip OLB prospect)

    Soooooo, we end up with a starting caliber and borderline top 10 OT, the top safety on the market, and a blue chip impact player at the most important position of a 3-4 defense

    all that for the same total cost of Revis and a 2nd round pick (and remember our last 2 second round picks at safety? Nate Allen and Jaiqwuan Jarrett?)


    Well said and completely agree. I'd much rather have us take Moore or Star with the 4th pick to play OLB or Nose tackle in the new 3-4 we all assume is being implemented and sign Byrd and Albert. As opposed to trading for Revis and POSSIBLY getting a 2nd round pick, not to mention the money that comes along with giving Revis an extension.

  15. #105
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,020
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by IgglesFanInCO View Post
    Theres one major hole in your argument, you arent including the totality of the fiscal cost as well as the loss of assets in your argument, you address them separately but not together which is the mistake

    yes if we could get revis for only the money he will cost it would be worth it

    yes if we could get revis for just the draft pick it would be worth it

    but for the money AND the draft pick?

    you argue that he is better than what we could get at #4, examples being Milliner/Joeckel(im also adding Moore and Lotuleilei to that factor), which may be true

    BUT is he better than what we get at #4 AND 2 top FAs? for arguments sake lets say Branden Albert and Jarius Byrd for example, who together would cost about the same that Revis will command when he extends

    Now lets factor in the pick, for examples sake lets say we get Demontre Moore (a blue chip OLB prospect)

    Soooooo, we end up with a starting caliber and borderline top 10 OT, the top safety on the market, and a blue chip impact player at the most important position of a 3-4 defense

    all that for the same total cost of Revis and a 2nd round pick (and remember our last 2 second round picks at safety? Nate Allen and Jaiqwuan Jarrett?)
    Having Revis would make a bigger impact to the team than either Brandon Albert or Jarius Byrd (and arguably more than both together). Additionally, I would content that IF these two players hit FA it is fairly unlikely the Eagles will acquire one or even both of them. Its also entirely possible that both these players are retained by their current teams and if they arent, the Eagles still have to compete with potentially 30 other NFL teams to acquire them. There are teams that have more money to spend, there are teams that are in better position to contend, there are some teams that exceed the Eagles in both those categories. This is not to say that its not entirely possible that the Eagles could acquire them, but it is hardly something to hedge your bet on. If we trade for Revis, we have Revis, no other team would be able to tempt him out of our grasp. Hes a guaranteed acquisition if we trade for him. Also, positionally speaking Revis has more value because top-tier shut down corners are harder to find than good LTs and Safeties.

    Im not even sure why the Eagles would target Brandon Albert unless they are throwing in the towel on Peters, in which case cutting/trading Peters would free up the adequate room to pay for Albert. If they plan on Peters returning, and retain Peters then they are mismanaging their cap money. Only one can start at LT yet you would be paying top-end LT money to both of them to play a less financially valuable position. As I said, if Peters is out the door, there will be money to pay for Albert, and if we plan on retaining Peters, there are far more frugal options available in FA and the draft to fill in at either RT or RG that wont even be a more drastic step off in talent

    As far as cap space goes, adding Revis eliminates the need to keep Aso allowing us to cut/trade him bringing us to more or less right where we were financially before the deal.

    You are also assuming we make the switch to the 3-4, we have no indication as of yet that this is the case other than thats what his DC at Oregon ran. Also, OLB is by no means the most important position on the 3-4 defense, it is in fact the NT. Plus, even IF we made the switch to the 3-4 there are plenty of good prospects at OLB and NT that will be available in the 2nd. CB is also more valuable than either of those two positions, because as is the case with OT and S, a top tier CB is more rare and harder to obtain than top tier players at those positions, especially OLB, pass rushers are a dime-in-dozen.

    Revis plus and extra second rounder plus whatever else we can get is still more valuable than the possibility of getting Joeckel or Moore and the possibility of getting Brandon Albert and/or Jarius Byrd

    Also, Jarrett and Allen are a pretty bad reason to not consider taking a safety in the second round, especially considering we got both Michael Lewis and Brian Dawkins in the second round
    Last edited by c_reinert; 01-31-2013 at 12:03 AM.
    PSD's c_reinert

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •