Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lead off Hitter

vCash

Lead off Hitter

Now that the Braves have a solid outfield with both speed and power, do you think Frank Wren and the Braves orginazation have another plan or trade in mind. There is no doubt the braves have speed and power throughout their line up. But when you look at the lineup they do strike out a bunch. We all love the long ball, but some of the past Braves teams had a bunch of power and lived and died off the homerun. I do think Simmons is gonna be used as a lead off hitter at some point , but I do see this as a weakness of theirs. Most the hitters on this team are middle of the order type. Do you think or know of any 2nd or 3rd baseman that we can acquire to fill that void, I'd prefer to trade Uggla and eat some of his contract if there's a good return to fit the teams need

vCash
    This was a weakness before we traded Prado, and now it's our only glaring hole. I guess we will try Simmons up there, though I don't think he's ready to bat leadoff every day.

What we should do is bat Heyward up there, he gets on base and has great speed. I doubt Fredi will do it though.

In reality it's not as big a deal as people will make it out to be, lineup order is something that's way overblown in importance in baseball.

vCash
    Right now Simmons hold the spot. Not too sure if he gonna feel pressured being followed by a nasty lineup but he could just do fine. Or maybe Wren has something else up his sleeves. Problem is, don't think a 3rd baseman has speed to leadoff...

vCash
    Now that Prado is gone, I wonder who will bat in the 2 hole. What if, and feel free to call me crazy, we tried putting Uggla in the number 2 spot? The guys one strength after last year is getting on base. He is largely ineffective at driving in runs so why not put his on base ability to use and make him a run scorer. We'd have enough 30 HR thunder behind him where I doubt we'd be moving runners too much. I know he makes far too little contact to be the #2 guy, but then again, this whole lineup is a bunch of free swingers. No one would be best suited for the job except maybe Simmons and he should leadoff.

vCash
    I would go with:
    Simmons
    JHey
    JUpton
    FFreeman
    BUpton
    BMac
    DUggla
    JFran/CJohnson
    We have pieces that could fit anywhere in the line-up though
    JHey
    Simmons
    JUpton
    DUggla
    FFreeman
    BUpton
    BMac
    JF/CJ

These are just two scenarios. There are endless combinations. I like the first one the best and believe JHey, JUp and FFreeman should bat in the first 4 spots, b/c they are our best hitters.

What if BMac hits like he used to before shoulder problems? Uggla like he did with the fish/the 130 game stretch he had with us. There are endless possiblities with this team as far as line-up is concerned. A lead off batter only leads the game off once a game. With protection like the first lineup Simmons would get lots of fastballs and I believe would make a great leadoff hitter. He showed some patience last year hitting 8th, which has been regarded as one of the toughest spots to hit in baseball. Freddi have fun making the lineup, I am ready to see a game. I'm pumped

vCash
    I would go with this lineup because the guy hitting second needs to be patient and allow your leadoff man to steal. Barry Bonds in his early career was a leadoff hitter so i dont see a problem with Jhey hitting there

JHey
    Simmons
    JUpton
    FFreeman
    BUpton
    BMac
    DUggla
    JFran/CJohnson

to start the year i hope we see

JHey
    Simmons
    JUpton
    FFreeman
    BUpton
    DUggla
    JFran/CJohnson
    laird
    Last edited by wcg; 01-24-2013 at 01:11 PM.

vCash
    If Trout can hit leadoff, no reason that J-Hey can't

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by baseballislife7 View Post
    I would go with:
    Simmons
    JHey
    JUpton
    FFreeman
    BUpton
    BMac
    DUggla
    JFran/CJohnson
    This is exactly how I have it penciled in and if Justin were to go in a slump you can always flip the Upton's but he is a typical #3 hitter.

vCash
    The most likely scenario is Heyward not batting leadoff. OBP is good, but a player who can drive in 100+ rbis and hit 25+ homers is a 3 hole hitter. so, assuming were done trading for now, i see

Simmons
    BJ
    Heyward
    Justin
    Freeman
    Uggla
    McCann
    Francisco

thats just as of now how i would see it.
    <span style=font-family: Georgia>[II][/I]</span>

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by westside View Post
    The most likely scenario is Heyward not batting leadoff. OBP is good, but a player who can drive in 100+ rbis and hit 25+ homers is a 3 hole hitter. so, assuming were done trading for now, i see

Simmons
    BJ
    Heyward
    Justin
    Freeman
    Uggla
    McCann
    Francisco

Yeah, that is my prediction as well...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by westside View Post

Simmons
    BJ
    Heyward
    Justin
    Freeman
    Uggla
    McCann
    Francisco

Sick line-up
    Future Ace

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ill21 View Post
    Sick line-up
    Yessir.
    <span style=font-family: Georgia>[II][/I]</span>

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wcg
    I would go with this lineup because the guy hitting second needs to be patient and allow your leadoff man to steal. Barry Bonds in his early career was a leadoff hitter so i dont see a problem with Jhey hitting there

JHey
    Simmons
    JUpton
    FFreeman
    BUpton
    BMac
    DUggla
    JFran/CJohnson

to start the year i hope we see

JHey
    Simmons
    JUpton
    FFreeman
    BUpton
    DUggla
    JFran/CJohnson
    laird
    I believe we'll see both at some point. Fredi's track record shows he'll mess around with the lineup every so often.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by westside

Simmons
    BJ
    Heyward
    Justin
    Freeman
    Uggla
    McCann
    Francisco

This one also.
    Last edited by Bravo95; 01-26-2013 at 12:18 AM.

vCash
    How much of a blessing would it be if Scott Fletcher and Greg Walker could get BJ in that 2007, rookie season frame of mind, in which he hit .300 and had an OBP of .386... If he has to sacrifice some power and drop from 28 HR's last year to 15-20 this year, so be it. If Simmons and Upton hit 1,2 and Upton had a line of .300 AVG, 17 HR, 75 RBI, 100 R, 30 SB, .380 OBP, how incredible would this lineup be?

If Atlanta is flirting with the concept of putting BJ in the 2 spot, he must realize that we have plenty of guys who will hit it out of the park(Heyward,J. Upton, Freeman, Uggla, McCann) and that his ability to make contact and hit .300 would be EQUALLY as valuable as those guys hitting 25-35 HR's a piece...
    Don't Stop the Chop!!!

http://bravesbanter.com

At BravesBanter.com NOW!!--Does Terry McGuirk comments signal David PRICE coming to Atlanta?? Chipper,Andruw,Sheffield vs Upton,Upton,Heyward --Who Wins??/2013 Season Projections for Many of the Braves Starting 8/ Grading GM Frank Wren/ Latest Rumors & Commentary/ Tips for Turner--What every fan SHOULD know when planning a trip to Turner Field!!

1991-2005 Greatest Run of Division Dominance in Professional Sports History

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast