Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    vCash
    Yeah winning over an extended period of time like they did where they won 5 division titles in a row tends to have carryover too.

Losing breeds apathy where as if you win there is a time afterwards that even if you don't you will still draw.

The Mets certainly have better direction for the long term future than the Phillies even if they finish better than we do this year (they obviously will). They still have a tremendous payroll, aging players, a farm system that is near the bottom of the league, and are trying to patch things together to stay in the race.

Attendance will start to go in the wrong direction for them too.

Philly fans are phanatical anyway..

See what i did there?
    Last edited by metswon69; 01-25-2013 at 12:00 PM.

vCash
    Sometimes I wonder how much the location of the ballpark hurts the Mets' attendance. It's easy to draw when the team is going good. Not so much during lean times. People that may feel like going to a game after work aren't likely to head out to Flushing for a night out with a lousy team.

Many cities have much more centrally located stadia and can draw the after work crowd. Hang out in the office, grab a bite and head to the game. Not so much in Flushing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jomota View Post
    Sometimes I wonder how much the location of the ballpark hurts the Mets' attendance. It's easy to draw when the team is going good. Not so much during lean times. People that may feel like going to a game after work aren't likely to head out to Flushing for a night out with a lousy team.

Many cities have much more centrally located stadia and can draw the after work crowd. Hang out in the office, grab a bite and head to the game. Not so much in Flushing.
    That's very possible.

Citizen's Bank is in South Philly and there are a lot of things to do there. Plenty of bars, places to eat (Pat's and Geno's ), etc etc.

Flushing Queens like you said is out of the way unless you are near the 7 train, living in Queens, or in Nassau County and there is nothing to do in that neighborhood.

I have to transfer trains to get to the 7 line and from where i am it still takes me almost 30 minutes to get to Citi Field.

It doesn't help that the ballpark is also the second to last stop on that line too.
    Last edited by metswon69; 01-25-2013 at 08:35 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    That's very possible.

Citizen's Bank is in South Philly and there are a lot of things to do there. Plenty of bars, places to eat (Pat's and Geno's ), etc etc.

Flushing Queens like you said is out of the way unless you are near the 7 train, living in Queens, or in Nassau County and there is nothing to do in that neighborhood.

I have to transfer trains to get to the 7 line and from where i am it still takes me almost 30 minutes to get to Citi Field.

It doesn't help that the ballpark is also the second to last stop on that line too.
    I don't live up there anymore, but over the years I've been to Shea well over a hundred times. Never once did I go anywhere around there either before or after the game. I almost always drove and getting out of that lot was a nightmare.

I loved going to the Garden. There was always something going on around there and I rarely went right home after a game.

Flushing sounds like what it is.

vCash
    I don't live up there anymore, but over the years I've been to Shea well over a hundred times. Never once did I go anywhere around there either before or after the game. I almost always drove and getting out of that lot was a nightmare.

I loved going to the Garden. There was always something going on around there and I rarely went right home after a game.

Yeah Flushing Corona Park is the only thing around there worth going during the day but definitely not at night lol.

Flushing is definitely an appropriate title.

The express trains help a bit but the ride is still too long and i never drive because unless you find a parking spot in the surrounding neighborhood its 20 bucks to park in the stadium.

At least that's what i heard, the last time i drove there it was 18 bucks but that was 2 years ago.

The Garden is the best, it's 15 minutes from my work place, not that much further from apartment, and like you mentioned always something to do in the immediate area.
    Last edited by metswon69; 01-25-2013 at 08:53 PM.

vCash
    wrong thread..
    Last edited by metswon69; 01-25-2013 at 09:45 PM.

vCash
    Yeah Flushing Corona Park is the only thing around there worth going during the day but definitely not at night lol.

Flushing is definitely an appropriate title.

The express trains help a bit but the ride is still too long and i never drive because unless you find a parking spot in the surrounding neighborhood its 20 bucks to park in the stadium.

At least that's what i heard, the last time i drove there it was 18 bucks but that was 2 years ago.

The Garden is the best, it's 15 minutes from my work place, not that much further from apartment, and like you mentioned always something to do in the immediate area.
    There's nothing like a game in the Garden. We have an arena in Tampa that is probably better for watching a game but it's not the Garden. I even went to basketball games in the Garden. Something I wouldn't consider now.

I loved midtown before the game and I loved it after the game. The Garden was just a segment of a good night out. Cheap dinners were at the Blarney Stone on 32nd St (?). Drinks afterwards could be anywhere. Once in awhile splurge at Gallaghers (long walk).

Shea Stadium was get in the car, fight you way out of the lot and go home.

vCash
    There's nothing like a game in the Garden. We have an arena in Tampa that is probably better for watching a game but it's not the Garden. I even went to basketball games in the Garden. Something I wouldn't consider now.

I loved midtown before the game and I loved it after the game. The Garden was just a segment of a good night out. Cheap dinners were at the Blarney Stone on 32nd St (?). Drinks afterwards could be anywhere. Once in awhile splurge at Gallaghers (long walk).

Shea Stadium was get in the car, fight you way out of the lot and go home.
    Yeah i usually go to the Molly Wee or Stout for the Ranger games if i am not in MSG...

It's always good to pick up a pint there before or after the game too if i do go to the game lol..

Just a bunch of loud drunk Ranger fans who are cool to hang out with.

But Citi Field is exactly like you mentioned aside from McFaddens. I am usually shooting to get up the Willet's Point steps and hit that 7 train as fast as possible to beat the barrage and i know its no better in the parking lot.

The renovations at MSG have made it look really nice and i can't wait for the bridge above the action. It should look amazing.
    Last edited by metswon69; 01-25-2013 at 10:33 PM.

vCash
    Anthony DiComo ‏@AnthonyDiComo

D-backs wanted Wheeler or Harvey for Upton. #Mets said no.
    Wonder what the rest of the package would have been?

But not surprisingly they wanted either guy..
    Last edited by metswon69; 01-25-2013 at 10:23 PM.

vCash

That's why I can't wait for that Wilets Point project to be compete. That whole area will be changed for the better.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    That's why I can't wait for that Wilets Point project to be compete. That whole area will be changed for the better.
    Q. What do the Mets' outfield and the Mets' neighborhood have in common.

A. Any addition would be an improvement.

vCash

I was born and lived in Flushing Meadows for 2 years. I remember, vaguely, going to the 1964 World's Fair. Is it a decent neighborhood nowadays?
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    Anthony DiComo ‏@AnthonyDiComo

Wonder what the rest of the package would have been?

But not surprisingly they wanted either guy..

Trout? yes in spades, Upton? no chance.

I really don't think he'd be as successful here as he's going to be in ATL.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    I was born and lived in Flushing Meadows for 2 years. I remember, vaguely, going to the 1964 World's Fair. Is it a decent neighborhood nowadays?
    I went to the World's Fair several times. The one thing that amazed everyone was push button telephones. No one had ever seen that before. People lined up to use pay phones just to try it out.

Now you can't find a pay phone.

vCash
    I went to the World's Fair several times. The one thing that amazed everyone was push button telephones. No one had ever seen that before. People lined up to use pay phones just to try it out.

Now you can't find a pay phone.
    The giant Belgian Waffles.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast