Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 42 of 42

Thread: Line up

  1. #31
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,093
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Polish Post View Post
    vs RHP
    CF Ellsbury
    2B Pedroia
    DH Ortiz
    1B Napoli
    C Saltalamacchia
    3B Middlebrooks
    RF Victorino
    LF Sweeney
    SS Drew


    vs. LHP
    CF Ellsbury
    2B Pedroia
    DH Ortiz
    1B Napoli
    3B Middlebrooks
    RF Victorino
    C Ross
    LF Gomes
    SS Ciriaco

    Bench players; C platoon, SS platoon, LF platoon, Nava(assuming he can play 1B in a pinch along with corner OF)
    AAA depth; Lavarnway, Kalish(when healthy), Iglesias, Gomez

    Lester
    Buccholz
    Doubront
    Dempster
    Lackey

    Hanrahan
    Morales
    Bailey
    Uehara
    Breslow
    Aceves
    Miller

    AAA Depth; Bard, Tazawa, Mortensen, Carpenter, Rubby de la Rosa
    I agree with everything you say. But, I think it depends how Bard is during ST if he starts in AAA. I still think Aceves/Morales/Salty are trade bait.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Western MA
    Posts
    592
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by wolf82 View Post
    I agree with everything you say. But, I think it depends how Bard is during ST if he starts in AAA. I still think Aceves/Morales/Salty are trade bait.
    I think if they decide in ST that Bard is back they will move Aceves or Morales. Maybe even Miller because I don't think he can be sent down to AAA again. I'd like to keep Salty though, at least until the trade deadline to make sure Lavarnway is going to be ready to step up.


    2013-2014 BOSTON CELTICS

    RONDO / PRESSEY
    BRADLEY / BAYLESS / JOHNSON
    GREEN / WALLACE / BOGANS
    BASS / HUMPHRIES / FAVERANI
    SULLINGER / OLYNYK / ANTHONY


  3. #33
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Wethersfield/Storrs, CT
    Posts
    9,045
    vCash
    1500
    I doubt Morales gets dealt

  4. #34
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    14,774
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by wolf82 View Post
    I agree with everything you say. But, I think it depends how Bard is during ST if he starts in AAA. I still think Aceves/Morales/Salty are trade bait.
    Bard and Tazawa have options so they're the candidates to go to AAA. I agree that deals are pretty likely, though.
    • Morales is a decent target given his versatility and power arm; I won't be surprised to see him dealt now that Breslow is signed through 2014 (plus option).
    • Aceves will hang around until he goes AWOL again; in the proper role (a la 2011) he's a great asset.
    • Salty should be gone. Forget his 25HRs. He doesn't do enough with the bat to makeup for his poor game calling.


    Oh, yeah, I won't be surprised to see the Sox carry an extra RP over an extra bench guy so only one move might set things right.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    19,099
    vCash
    1500
    I agree with RST, I've been thinking that we'll go with an 8 man bullpen.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Western MA
    Posts
    592
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by AI4 View Post
    I agree with RST, I've been thinking that we'll go with an 8 man bullpen.
    No way that happens. Why do it? You'd have 3 guys, presumably Ciriaco, Ross and Sweeney, coming off the bench. Those 3 will get playing time anyway in platoons, but I'd like to have another guy to have in reserve in case of injury. I see Lyle Overbay or Daniel Nava making the club coming out of Spring Training. The pitching will be fully rested at full strength to start the year. No dead arms and therefore no need for an 8 man pen. If Big Papi is not ready to start the year(he hasn't even started running yet), I see us trading a pitcher for 1B/DH depth.


    2013-2014 BOSTON CELTICS

    RONDO / PRESSEY
    BRADLEY / BAYLESS / JOHNSON
    GREEN / WALLACE / BOGANS
    BASS / HUMPHRIES / FAVERANI
    SULLINGER / OLYNYK / ANTHONY


  7. #37
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    19,099
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Polish Post View Post
    No way that happens. Why do it? You'd have 3 guys, presumably Ciriaco, Ross and Sweeney, coming off the bench. Those 3 will get playing time anyway in platoons, but I'd like to have another guy to have in reserve in case of injury. I see Lyle Overbay or Daniel Nava making the club coming out of Spring Training. The pitching will be fully rested at full strength to start the year. No dead arms and therefore no need for an 8 man pen. If Big Papi is not ready to start the year(he hasn't even started running yet), I see us trading a pitcher for 1B/DH depth.
    Ciriaco won't be platooning, Sweeney signed a minor league deal and it's very likely that Salty or one of the excess out of option relievers gets traded. Regardless if you agree with me or not, I could definitely see us going with an 8 man bullpen.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    39,498
    vCash
    1500
    Well, pens end up being two numbers during the year, like 6 and 7 or 7 and 8. At least in April it seems unlikely we'll carry extra arms.

    Then there is the whole issue on how many more options players have. If the Sox can't get something they want in a deal, they'll carry a guy in some cases rather then cutting him loose.

    We still have about 50+ days before we'll have a good idea...


    6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

    Some jerks never learn.....

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Wethersfield/Storrs, CT
    Posts
    9,045
    vCash
    1500
    Yeah with Nava, Ciriaco, Ross, Sweeney, Overbay, and Iglesias vying for bench spots, it would be a tough task to go with a 3 man bench... especially in April when arms should be "fresh".

  10. #40
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    14,774
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Polish Post View Post
    No way that happens. Why do it? You'd have 3 guys, presumably Ciriaco, Ross and Sweeney, coming off the bench. Those 3 will get playing time anyway in platoons, but I'd like to have another guy to have in reserve in case of injury. I see Lyle Overbay or Daniel Nava making the club coming out of Spring Training. The pitching will be fully rested at full strength to start the year. No dead arms and therefore no need for an 8 man pen. If Big Papi is not ready to start the year(he hasn't even started running yet), I see us trading a pitcher for 1B/DH depth.
    The Sox have a VERY long list of relievers under contract... beyond simple depth signings. I believe they're pursuing a strategy similar to the Orioles who bolstered an okay lineup with a unusually strong BP. Additionally, if you consider where the Sox dropped the ball (literally!) from 9/11 onward it makes sense that they'd build a strong pen and dub Farrell "Captain Hook."

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Western MA
    Posts
    592
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSoxtober View Post
    The Sox have a VERY long list of relievers under contract... beyond simple depth signings. I believe they're pursuing a strategy similar to the Orioles who bolstered an okay lineup with a unusually strong BP. Additionally, if you consider where the Sox dropped the ball (literally!) from 9/11 onward it makes sense that they'd build a strong pen and dub Farrell "Captain Hook."
    the roster will work itself out via trades and injuries. Never manage or make organizational philosophy decisions based on who you have. Get players and mold your roster based on who you want to be, not who you happen to be right now.


    2013-2014 BOSTON CELTICS

    RONDO / PRESSEY
    BRADLEY / BAYLESS / JOHNSON
    GREEN / WALLACE / BOGANS
    BASS / HUMPHRIES / FAVERANI
    SULLINGER / OLYNYK / ANTHONY


  12. #42
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    14,774
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Polish Post View Post
    the roster will work itself out via trades and injuries. Never manage or make organizational philosophy decisions based on who you have. Get players and mold your roster based on who you want to be, not who you happen to be right now.
    What part of my post suggests that they have done anything but that? Clearly they targeted Hanrahan and Uehera so the intention of building the BP was very deliberate.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •