2B Pedroia
    DH Ortiz
    1B Napoli
    3B Middlebrooks
    RF Victorino
    C Ross
    LF Gomes
    SS Ciriaco

Bench players; C platoon, SS platoon, LF platoon, Nava(assuming he can play 1B in a pinch along with corner OF)
    AAA depth; Lavarnway, Kalish(when healthy), Iglesias, Gomez

Lester
    Buccholz
    Doubront
    Dempster
    Lackey

Hanrahan
    Morales
    Bailey
    Uehara
    Breslow
    Aceves
    Miller

AAA Depth; Bard, Tazawa, Mortensen, Carpenter, Rubby de la Rosa
    I agree with everything you say. But, I think it depends how Bard is during ST if he starts in AAA. I still think Aceves/Morales/Salty are trade bait.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wolf82 View Post
    I agree with everything you say. But, I think it depends how Bard is during ST if he starts in AAA. I still think Aceves/Morales/Salty are trade bait.
    I think if they decide in ST that Bard is back they will move Aceves or Morales. Maybe even Miller because I don't think he can be sent down to AAA again. I'd like to keep Salty though, at least until the trade deadline to make sure Lavarnway is going to be ready to step up.

2013-2014 BOSTON CELTICS

RONDO / PRESSEY
    BRADLEY / BAYLESS / JOHNSON
    GREEN / WALLACE / BOGANS
    BASS / HUMPHRIES / FAVERANI
    SULLINGER / OLYNYK / ANTHONY

vCash
    I doubt Morales gets dealt

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wolf82 View Post
    Bard and Tazawa have options so they're the candidates to go to AAA. I agree that deals are pretty likely, though.
    • Morales is a decent target given his versatility and power arm; I won't be surprised to see him dealt now that Breslow is signed through 2014 (plus option).
    • Aceves will hang around until he goes AWOL again; in the proper role (a la 2011) he's a great asset.
    • Salty should be gone. Forget his 25HRs. He doesn't do enough with the bat to makeup for his poor game calling.

Oh, yeah, I won't be surprised to see the Sox carry an extra RP over an extra bench guy so only one move might set things right.

vCash
    I agree with RST, I've been thinking that we'll go with an 8 man bullpen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AI4 View Post
    I agree with RST, I've been thinking that we'll go with an 8 man bullpen.
    No way that happens. Why do it? You'd have 3 guys, presumably Ciriaco, Ross and Sweeney, coming off the bench. Those 3 will get playing time anyway in platoons, but I'd like to have another guy to have in reserve in case of injury. I see Lyle Overbay or Daniel Nava making the club coming out of Spring Training. The pitching will be fully rested at full strength to start the year. No dead arms and therefore no need for an 8 man pen. If Big Papi is not ready to start the year(he hasn't even started running yet), I see us trading a pitcher for 1B/DH depth.

2013-2014 BOSTON CELTICS

RONDO / PRESSEY
    GREEN / WALLACE / BOGANS

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Polish Post View Post
    No way that happens. Why do it? You'd have 3 guys, presumably Ciriaco, Ross and Sweeney, coming off the bench. Those 3 will get playing time anyway in platoons, but I'd like to have another guy to have in reserve in case of injury. I see Lyle Overbay or Daniel Nava making the club coming out of Spring Training. The pitching will be fully rested at full strength to start the year. No dead arms and therefore no need for an 8 man pen. If Big Papi is not ready to start the year(he hasn't even started running yet), I see us trading a pitcher for 1B/DH depth.
    Ciriaco won't be platooning, Sweeney signed a minor league deal and it's very likely that Salty or one of the excess out of option relievers gets traded. Regardless if you agree with me or not, I could definitely see us going with an 8 man bullpen.

vCash
    Well, pens end up being two numbers during the year, like 6 and 7 or 7 and 8. At least in April it seems unlikely we'll carry extra arms.

Then there is the whole issue on how many more options players have. If the Sox can't get something they want in a deal, they'll carry a guy in some cases rather then cutting him loose.

We still have about 50+ days before we'll have a good idea...

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    Yeah with Nava, Ciriaco, Ross, Sweeney, Overbay, and Iglesias vying for bench spots, it would be a tough task to go with a 3 man bench... especially in April when arms should be "fresh".

vCash
    The Sox have a VERY long list of relievers under contract... beyond simple depth signings. I believe they're pursuing a strategy similar to the Orioles who bolstered an okay lineup with a unusually strong BP. Additionally, if you consider where the Sox dropped the ball (literally!) from 9/11 onward it makes sense that they'd build a strong pen and dub Farrell "Captain Hook."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSoxtober View Post
    The Sox have a VERY long list of relievers under contract... beyond simple depth signings. I believe they're pursuing a strategy similar to the Orioles who bolstered an okay lineup with a unusually strong BP. Additionally, if you consider where the Sox dropped the ball (literally!) from 9/11 onward it makes sense that they'd build a strong pen and dub Farrell "Captain Hook."
    the roster will work itself out via trades and injuries. Never manage or make organizational philosophy decisions based on who you have. Get players and mold your roster based on who you want to be, not who you happen to be right now.

2013-2014 BOSTON CELTICS

RONDO / PRESSEY
    GREEN / WALLACE / BOGANS

vCash
    the roster will work itself out via trades and injuries. Never manage or make organizational philosophy decisions based on who you have. Get players and mold your roster based on who you want to be, not who you happen to be right now.
    What part of my post suggests that they have done anything but that? Clearly they targeted Hanrahan and Uehera so the intention of building the BP was very deliberate.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123