Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Line up

vCash

Line up

now with Napoli officially on board, what will the lineup look like?

If Nap hits like 2011, he hits 3-4, if he hits like his crummy 2012 he hits 5-6th at best while playing with a possible injury.

I think Victorino may turn out to be the new Crawford on where he might fit with this lineup, because we already have 2 table setter as a fixture of this club for years at the top of the order.

Middlebrooks may as well hit clean up if he performs like 2012, .280 and 15/50 in around 70 games. I expect some regression for the sophomore year, and hope he learns a thing or two. Also he murders southpaws, as do many on this club.

Interesting to see your take on this.

vCash
    Not to let the thread get slightly off topic, but I think this is the reason why our team is tilted more toward pretenders than contenders. There are way too many question marks in the lineup and rotation. Having said that, different lineups will be posted for LHs and RHs.

Against RH:

1) Ellsbury
    2) Pedroia
    3) Ortiz
    4) Napoil
    5) Middlebrooks
    6) Victorino
    7) Drew
    8) Kalish
    9) Saltalamacchia/Lavarnway (assuming Salty doesn't get traded; then these two would battle it out)

Against LH:

1) Ellsbury
    2) Victorino
    3) Pedroia
    4) Ortiz
    5) Napoli
    6) Middlebrooks
    7) Gomes
    8) Drew
    9) Saltalamacchia/Lavarnway

Against left handers, this is a deadly lineup IMO. Against right handers, not so much.
    Feeling left out in society? Are you that kid? The Bruins forum can help you.

PSD's Zdeno Chara

PSD Bruins Hall of Fame Class of 2010

Yeti FTW

vCash
    I think it might be best to put jacoby more in the heart of the lineup vs RHP. Put a good obp guy first. Depending on how well he plays kalish could be slotted there but it will depend on his average.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
    I think it might be best to put jacoby more in the heart of the lineup vs RHP. Put a good obp guy first. Depending on how well he plays kalish could be slotted there but it will depend on his average.
    2011 is an outliner. I don't think we'll see anything close to it again from Ellsbury. He needs to get the most PA as possible. A .300/.360/.425 would be fine from Ells with 40SB in there.

Kalish seems a long shot unless someone get traded. Plus he has to force his call up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Station 13 View Post
    2011 is an outliner. I don't think we'll see anything close to it again from Ellsbury. He needs to get the most PA as possible. A .300/.360/.425 would be fine from Ells with 40SB in there.

Kalish seems a long shot unless someone get traded. Plus he has to force his call up.
    Career .806 ops vs RHP is better than most of our guys though

vCash
    I think our lineup will be something like this:

vs. LHP

1) Ellsbury
    2) Victorino
    3) Pedroia
    4) Ortiz
    5) Middlebrooks
    6) Napoli
    7) Salty/ Ross/ Lavs
    8) Gomes
    9) Drew

vs RHP

1) Ellsbury
    2) Victorino
    3) Pedroia
    4) Ortiz
    5) Middlebrooks
    6) Napoli
    7) Ross/ Lavs/ Salty
    8) Nava/ Kalish
    9) Drew

I'm not putting Ortiz and Napoli back to back because both are pretty slow and there's a huge double play potential out there. I think Middlebrooks can offer enough protection for Ortiz in the lineup.

I am also putting our fastest guys at the top of the order followed by Pedroia and Ortiz. I think they can create some havoc on the basepaths and be a distractor for pitchers when facing our best hitters. In my opinion this fits well with Farrell's vision of playing 'aggresive' , with lots of 1st to 3rd potential. If it works well maybe we can start scoring as much runs in the first inning as we gave up in 2012

There's also some power in the bottom third of the lineup vs LHP with Salty (if he stays...) and Gomes. Nava or Kalish should be decent for an 8th batter.

Finally, I think batting Drew 9th gets preassure of his shoulders and gives him a better chance to succed.

What do you think?

My guess is Drew will bene

vCash
    I read and wanted to post a quote by Farrell but wasn't able to because I was banned. Farrell said that Pedroia will hit 2nd vs RHP and that Victorino would hit 2nd vs LHP.

vCash
    Judging by those comments, I'd imagine something like this (assuming Salty is traded)

Lineup vs LHP

Jacoby Ellsbury CF
    Shane Victorino RF
    Dustin Pedroia 2B
    David Ortiz DH
    Jonny Gomes LF
    Mike Napoli 1B
    Will Middlebrooks 3B
    Ryan Lavarnway C

Lineup vs RHP

Jacoby Ellsbury CF
    Dustin Pedroia 2B
    David Ortiz DH
    Mike Napoli 1B
    Will Middlebrooks 3B
    David Ross C
    Stephen Drew SS
    Shane Victorino RF
    Nava/Kalish LF

vCash
    I just really want Salty gone. If I had to choose between Salty catching and Drew leading off all year I'd go with Drew leading off.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
    Career .806 ops vs RHP is better than most of our guys though
    He certainly is, but we have nobody to hit leadoff. I think Ellsbury will have plenty of opportunity to produce/drive in runs with Drew, Victorino, Gomes hitting near the 6-9th of the order.

vCash
    If Victorino returns to his pre-2012, he could hit 2nd. He still got some speed left to steal 30-40.

Though Middlebrooks hitting 8th on one of that lineup vs lefties? He might be the best power hitter from the right side, and owns lefties last year.

vCash
    I like your lineups AI, I'd make a few small tweaks though, I'd move Napoli and WMB above Gomes against LHP just because I think they are generally better hitters than Gomes and against RHP I'd debate moving Victorino above Drew and Ross. I assume your lineups reflect us trading Salty, which I hope happens.

Lineup vs LHP

Jacoby Ellsbury CF
    Shane Victorino RF
    Dustin Pedroia 2B
    David Ortiz DH
    Mike Napoli 1B
    Will Middlebrooks 3B
    Jonny Gomes LF
    Ryan Lavarnway C

Lineup vs RHP

Jacoby Ellsbury CF
    Dustin Pedroia 2B
    David Ortiz DH
    Mike Napoli 1B
    Will Middlebrooks 3B
    Shane Victorino RF
    David Ross C
    Stephen Drew SS
    Nava/Kalish LF

Patriots Forum Hall of Fame Class of 2013
    -mooz

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mooz View Post
    I like your lineups AI, I'd make a few small tweaks though, I'd move Napoli and WMB above Gomes against LHP just because I think they are generally better hitters than Gomes and against RHP I'd debate moving Victorino above Drew and Ross. I assume your lineups reflect us trading Salty, which I hope happens.

Lineup vs LHP

Jacoby Ellsbury CF
    Shane Victorino RF
    Dustin Pedroia 2B
    David Ortiz DH
    Mike Napoli 1B
    Will Middlebrooks 3B
    Jonny Gomes LF
    Ryan Lavarnway C

Lineup vs RHP

Jacoby Ellsbury CF
    Dustin Pedroia 2B
    David Ortiz DH
    Mike Napoli 1B
    Will Middlebrooks 3B
    Shane Victorino RF
    David Ross C
    Stephen Drew SS
    Nava/Kalish LF
    Like it. Where's Drew hitting vs LHP?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSoxtober View Post
    I'd assume 9th though it would be ending on a bad note. Career .699 OPS vs LHP.

Ciriaco had a .764 OPS vs LHP last year so he may get some starts vs lefties. I think with Fenway being a righty-friendly park Ciriaco should get a decent amount of the starts vs LHP at home.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSoxtober View Post
    Yeah didn't even notice I left him off, 9th I'd say.

Patriots Forum Hall of Fame Class of 2013
    -mooz

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast