Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Man, this was an interesting trade from a lot of different angles for us. Maybe my short term memory sucks but I don't recall hearing or reading about Wren engaging in serious extension talks with Prado. If that's true and talks broke down there (and once again, we saw them headed for arbitration over $400K), then this was the right move. Kept all the real stud prospects, so it's a great deal for us.

I've mentioned this before, but the main thing that sucks about losing Prado is now we don't have insurance for when Uggla falls into another one of his extended periods of being terrible/benched. I didn't want any additional pressure on Dan and McCann becoming productive players again. But it might take some pressure off the young guys like Heyward and Freeman to assume that "face of the franchise" void left by CJ's retirement so they can just play ball, because everyone's gonna focus on the Uptons. (Also, someone on twitter suggested signing Kelly Johnson as Dan's backup, and I might be in favor of that now with all this money saved.)

I know certain segments of this fan base view Prado differently, but we all can agree he did everything we asked of him and more when other guys got hurt or flat out weren't getting it done. He was a big part of the rebirth of the team over the last 4-5 years, and deserves a good ovation whenever he comes back to TF.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BRAVE KID
    I don't blame Prado for wanting to get paid. Pure professional, has never complained, easily established himself as the soul and grit of the team, and plays pretty much every position. He's earned the right to get paid and I'm not going to bash or harp on him for that. It's a business move in the Braves eyes. I understand it, it's part of the game.

Love and much respect Prado.
    100% agreement. If he knows his worth and our front office tries to lowball him to an absurd level, he deserves to see what's out there and take advantage like every other player. Knowledgeable Braves fans know what he's done for us and will show him a lot of love when he comes back.

vCash
    Also, I think Fredi should at least try Heyward in the #2 spot early on, just to see if he can recapture that plate discipline from his rookie year (who knows, maybe Jason's a creature of habit and just better off batting second).

Simmons
    Heyward
    Justin
    Fred
    BJ
    Mac
    Uggla
    Platoon

I'm a little uneasy about the platoon at 3B and still have my doubts about Roadrunner as an everyday player, but at least we'll have someone there to push him for playing time. Cautiously optimistic.

vCash
    Lets not get carried away thinking BJs OBP sucks. It sucked in 2012, but it has only been below .320 one other time. Dude even managed to put up a .386 OBP with 154 K's (albeit in 2007). I think BJ may benefit most from this move. With guys like Jason, Justin, and Freddie, BJ can simply focus on patience and driving the ball and let his power come as it will. His best spot in the batting order has been 2nd, which seems to utilize his speed/power combo pretty well.

Just throwing out some info for conversation sake.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BRAVE KID View Post
    I don't blame Prado for wanting to get paid. Pure professional, has never complained, easily established himself as the soul and grit of the team, and plays pretty much every position. He's earned the right to get paid and I'm not going to bash or harp on him for that. It's a business move in the Braves eyes. I understand it, it's part of the game.

Love and much respect Prado.
    +1!

vCash
    For those concerned for lack of production by losing Prado ....

speaking STRICTLY STATS:

Prado with RISP:
    .279 .346 .382 .728

CJ with RISP
    .339 .371 .606 .977

I KNOWW .. Prado was a great clubhouse prese...blah blah blah, oh wait buttt his work eth..blahh blahhh blahhh

comon ppl, this is called a big time baseball move... as a GM you try to trade players (if you have to) when they could get the greatest return... Prado was at the point were Braves did not see his great clubhouse presence worth $12M... He could have commanded more... hell, if he hit the market who is there to say a big market team wont offer him $15M... yaal would still cry about losing Prado, and knock on him for taking more $ too... Obviously $ is a big deal for him, more that playing in ATL... he was ready to go to hearing over $400K!

This move opens up $10M, for which we can use on players such as KM, JHEY, FF, etcccc...

I say we give CJ a shot at full time 3B and see what comes out of it... if no we have Francisco... if no, then we have some $ to acquire via trade ...

vCash
    Sick RH/LH split !

vCash
    I think Johnson starts at 3B just so we still have CJ over there....

vCash
    Hold on, no one can blame Prado for wanting that extra $400K. If anything, the Braves front office/owners looked bad for making that decision since they almost never go to arbitration with anybody. It makes them look cheap more than it made MP look greedy. He could be making 10M+ right now on the open market even without the big market clubs bidding. I think most sensible folks in here are focused on Prado's flexibility and inexpensive price tag as why they it's tough to lose him, not the "he's a nice guy in the clubhouse" stuff.

vCash
    I've only skimmed the previous 12 pages & it appears that Chris Johnson is average at best & probably not the long term solution...all you Stat-Heads can prove it one way or the other. I saw his splits are reversed and he & Francisco hit the righties better.

HERE'S MY NEXT TRADE PROPOSAL: Go figure out a way to get Chase Headley & to make it a Fantasy, use Dan Uggla & Johnson & ??/$$ to do it-----then go find a second baseman like Brandon Phillips, Ian Kinsler or even Jose Altuve to bat leadoff.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo95 View Post
    Man, this was an interesting trade from a lot of different angles for us. Maybe my short term memory sucks but I don't recall hearing or reading about Wren engaging in serious extension talks with Prado. If that's true and talks broke down there (and once again, we saw them headed for arbitration over $400K), then this was the right move. Kept all the real stud prospects, so it's a great deal for us.

I've mentioned this before, but the main thing that sucks about losing Prado is now we don't have insurance for when Uggla falls into another one of his extended periods of being terrible/benched. I didn't want any additional pressure on Dan and McCann becoming productive players again. But it might take some pressure off the young guys like Heyward and Freeman to assume that "face of the franchise" void left by CJ's retirement so they can just play ball, because everyone's gonna focus on the Uptons. (Also, someone on twitter suggested signing Kelly Johnson as Dan's backup, and I might be in favor of that now with all this money saved.)

I know certain segments of this fan base view Prado differently, but we all can agree he did everything we asked of him and more when other guys got hurt or flat out weren't getting it done. He was a big part of the rebirth of the team over the last 4-5 years, and deserves a good ovation whenever he comes back to TF.
    Great post, totally agree.

I cant wait to stand on the podium with Zygi and Mark and Jonathan, and were standing on the podium, and we look up and the confetti is falling down on top of us, and were all hand in hand, and Commissioner Goodell comes over and hands the Super Bowl trophy to Mr. Wilf and tells him hes world champion, that is my goal and that is my drive.
    - Mike Zimmer

vCash
    Sure, but you know what... Braves were not ready to pay that... point being people are over reacting because we lost Prado. We just got a potential MVP candidate... for one proven MLB player. Yes we are going to lose some versatility, (Remember you needed this because Chipper was always in and out) i think this is a fantastic trade... our lineup is STACKEDD... every single position player is a threat. I havent even mentioned our Pitching, oh and hello there bullpen

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by coachmac View Post
    I've only skimmed the previous 12 pages & it appears that Chris Johnson is average at best & probably not the long term solution...all you Stat-Heads can prove it one way or the other. I saw his splits are reversed and he & Francisco hit the righties better.

HERE'S MY NEXT TRADE PROPOSAL: Go figure out a way to get Chase Headley & to make it a Fantasy, use Dan Uggla & Johnson & ??/$$ to do it-----then go find a second baseman like Brandon Phillips, Ian Kinsler or even Jose Altuve to bat leadoff.
    HAHA. I assume those trade proposals are all jokes/sarcasm.

Braves have two 3B options now and neither need to be magical with the stick. And both are great PH options. I think one will rise through the competition and claim the spot. And Juan is only 25, so he still has a little time to mature.

vCash
    The problem with Francisco/Johnson is that both are poor defenders, that worries me more than their bats.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan0845 View Post
    Great post, totally agree.
    I totally disagree with that post. If you are going to hit Uggla down in the 7 hole....with all of the offense at the top, if Uggla isn't producing (which I am not sure why this wouldn't strongly affect him too---you have to pitch to someone in this lineup)...then you put Pastornicky over at 2B and make the 7 hole a defensive position for a game or two. So our biggest concern is our 7 hole hitter going in to a slump that is a regular .360 on-base guy that hits 25+ hrs?? Hate to have that problem.

Why is someone acting like the Braves traded Prado over $400,000?? It's not about the arbitration settlement money...it's about the $12 million per season that you would be spending for a guy that has no power and isn't getting any younger. So you replace him with a younger player who hits for more power, has more speed, is cheaper, and has higher on-base and is better defensively. These all sound like logical moves to me. Not to mention, you keep your top prospect after you get the 24 yr old outfielder who was the top pick in the MLB draft and has shown the ability to be dominant (and is now surrounded by a much better lineup that provides him twice the protection). Great baseball sense to me

Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast