Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    vCash
    if braves were going to deal JT for headley i think i would have keep prado and put JT in the deal to dbacks instead. headley is the last player i want he has one year wonder written all over him

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wcg View Post
    if braves were going to deal JT for headley i think i would have keep prado and put JT in the deal to dbacks instead. headley is the last player i want he has one year wonder written all over him
    trade chips aside, i'd prefer headley over johnson/fransisco.

vCash
    This is definitely a now or never season (and next 2-3).
    They are capable of beating everyone to **** piles or strike out a bunch and have another disappointing atlanta season.

almost everyone in the line up is a question mark

simmons too young to tell
    bj do you get the talent over past failures?
    Justin is he on the rise or downward trend
    uggla is uggla
    mac whats his deal?? is it health issue or is he getting old and beat up
    what to expect from 3rd base???

free and hey are obvious positive. and prado would have been aswell.
    But atleast braves finally had a offseason that was fun and got something that almost every fan wanted.
    .................................................. ..................................

vCash
    ^ I don't see any way Justin is on the decline. I see at least half the line up (Justin, Heyward, Freddie, Simba) all improving over the next few years as they enter their primes.

vCash
    gattis should try to learn 3rd, that would be awesome!!!
    He's on my book to be future medlen. as in unexpected great player.
    .................................................. ..................................

vCash
    these were questions that were asked before by many, of course I'm rooting for the best

vCash
    Diamondbacks already trying to lock Prado up to an extension and use Ahmed and prospect to get RP from Detroit. So much for any of you thinking we could get Prado as a FA this offseason. $11-12 million/year for an extension is what DOB is writing. Lots of things going on right now in baseball. Feels like the winter meetings.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by samanjerry View Post
    gattis should try to learn 3rd, that would be awesome!!!
    He's on my book to be future medlen. as in unexpected great player.
    I wish he could stay behind the plate, that will make McCann expendable after this year and free up money to extend the younger guys.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by baseballislife7 View Post
    Diamondbacks already trying to lock Prado up to an extension and use Ahmed and prospect to get RP from Detroit. So much for any of you thinking we could get Prado as a FA this offseason. $11-12 million/year for an extension is what DOB is writing. Lots of things going on right now in baseball. Feels like the winter meetings.
    Yes it feels like it, i'm surprised of how many moves have been made today. The Dbacks have like 8 starting pitchers right now, i don't see any logic in trading for Porcello.

vCash
    Upton is entering his prime, asking if he's on a downward trend is just stupid.

vCash
    I'll miss Prado but if we weren't going to re-sign him anyways(a notion that seems to be getting overlooked) this is the best case scenario.

vCash
    How the Braves were able to acquire Justin Upton without giving up any top prospects is just mind boggling. Prado and Delgado are no slouches but lets be honest, we stole Upton. Prado was an impending FA who we were gonna lose and Delgado is very replaceable with Teheran, Gilmartin and Graham. Ahmed was blocked by Simmons. Wren strikes again

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ugafan View Post
    I'll miss Prado but if we weren't going to re-sign him anyways(a notion that seems to be getting overlooked) this is the best case scenario.
    Love the new sig!

vCash
    Keith Law's thoughts on the trade:

The Atlanta Braves didn't specifically need Justin Upton to be playoff contenders again in 2013, but having him certainly helps, and because they got him for about fifty cents on the dollar, they should be over the moon about the deal they wrapped up Thursday, which restores what they've lost with Michael Bourn's departure and sets them up well for the two years that follow as well.

[+] Enlarge

AP Photo/Chris O'Meara
    The Upton brothers -- B.J. on the left, Justin on the right -- are booked for the same outfield.
    Even though he played hurt through much of the season, Upton was still valuable in 2012, just nowhere close to his full potential when healthy and his timing at the plate is right, as it was in 2011 when he was worth around six wins above replacement. Upton has some of the best bat speed and the strongest wrists in the game, generating hard contact and easy power, similar to Andrew McCutchen when he's squaring up the ball consistently. In 2012, Upton's timing was off for much of the year, and he was popping up a lot of pitches on the inner half that, the year before, he would have driven to the left-center gap or out of the park. Much of this probably was tied to a thumb injury he suffered in the third game of the season but never addressed with time off. Hand injuries of any sort tend to sap power by reducing a hitter's ability to make hard contact, and that was a major issue for Upton all year.

Defensively, he's an outstanding right fielder who'll be just as good in left, assuming Atlanta leaves Jason Heyward -- himself a plus-plus glove in right -- in his current spot. Way too much has been made of Upton's home/road splits; talented players in extreme parks often produce extreme splits where neither half measures their true talent, with Matt Holliday a solid recent example. Upton's ability to hit and hit for power has never been tied to the ballpark, but to his bat speed, his wrist acceleration and his eye at the plate. If he's healthy in 2012 and gets some support from his new coaching staff, he should become a top-10 player in the league again, and at an average of just under $13 million a year for the next three seasons, he'll be a relative bargain for his new employers.

Atlanta also gets Chris Johnson as a throw-in who might split time at third base with Juan Francisco in what probably will be the team's weakest position unless they've got one more move up their sleeves, but the overall improvement is worth creating this small and perhaps temporary void in their lineup. They weren't going to be able to directly replace the retired Chipper Jones, especially not in a terrible offseason market for third-base help, but the net result here is about as positive as Atlanta fans could have hoped for.

Did Arizona get enough?
    The Diamondbacks' new strategy seems to be to trade any player that manager Kirk Gibson doesn't like, regardless of the reason. For the second time this offseason, they've made such a deal and taken less than full value in return for a player the whole industry knew the team wanted to move. At some point, they're going to have to stop blaming the players.

Arizona's return boils down to this: One year of Martin Prado, six years of a fifth starter in Randall Delgado, two fringy prospects and one non-prospect. If that sounds like a good deal to you, I have some beachfront property in Phoenix to sell you.

Prado is a versatile player who'll probably be Arizona's full-time third baseman, solving a need for the club in 2013 but at an exorbitant cost, since he's a free agent after the 2013 season. He's an above-average defender at third who generates most of his offensive value with high contact rates; when he hits .300, which he has done three times in the past four seasons, he's potentially a three- to four-win player at third base. (His WAR figures overstate his value somewhat with inflated defensive figures in left field.) He doesn't walk much or have power, nor is that likely to change given his age -- he might creep up closer to 20 homers playing 90 games a year in Chase Field and Coors -- so this is a bet that he'll keep making contact and fill the void at third. That's enough to offset the loss of Upton's bat and glove for one season.

Dale Zanine/US Presswire
    Randall Delgado's ceiling might be as a 4th or 5th starter.
    Delgado is a fastball/changeup guy in search of an average breaking ball, without success so far, surviving by changing speeds and keeping the two-seamer down enough to generate groundballs. If he were to bump up his control by a grade or two, he's got a chance to be league-average in some years, but the lack of an average curveball or slider will make it hard for him to miss enough bats. He reminds me in some ways of Pat Corbin, another changeup guy who's serviceable in the back of the rotation but who looked dynamite out of the pen in brief stints for Arizona in 2012. (You can be very good in a relief role with only two pitches.)

Nick Ahmed was the ninth-best prospect in Atlanta's system, a good defensive shortstop with a plus-plus arm but very little offensive upside; he loads his hands very deep, leading to a long swing, and doesn't have the plate discipline to allow him to compensate.

Zeke Spruill was seventh on my Atlanta rankings, with a low-90s fastball that has some tailing life, keeping the ball down but not enough to make him a true groundball guy; he's got an average slider in the 82-84 mph range and a hard changeup (almost split-like) in the 85-87 range that was very effective against left-handed hitters this year, giving him no platoon split at all in Double-A. He's very slight of build and tends to sling the ball a little from a low three-quarters slot, so I don't know how durable he is. Add in the fact that he doesn't miss a lot of bats with three average pitches and it doesn't bode well for him to be more than a back-end starter.

It's not a coincidence that both players, like Didi Gregorius (acquired in the Trevor Bauer trade), played in the Arizona Fall League last year, where Arizona GM Kevin Towers could see them personally. The last player in the deal, Brandon Drury, is a non-prospect, with no performance behind him and no clear position. I wouldn't trade Upton's 2014 and 2015 seasons, at good prices, for these four young guys. But that is, in effect, what Arizona did.

vCash
    this prado thing does not make sense as far as prado contract talks with the braves if he turned down the braves offer thought to be around 12mil why would he agree to this same deal with the dbacks?

Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast