Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 180
  1. #46
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    552
    vCash
    1500
    Not a bad signing at all. I think the injuries and 86MPH fastball scare people but the ~ 3.70 ERA and strikeout rate is pretty solid. Certainly better than bringing in Pavano.

    Bourn is intriguing but I'd rather see what Sandy can do with that first round pick and some money to spend next offseason.

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    54,731
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Metsin08 View Post
    Not a bad signing at all. I think the injuries and 86MPH fastball scare people but the ~ 3.70 ERA and strikeout rate is pretty solid. Certainly better than bringing in Pavano.

    Bourn is intriguing but I'd rather see what Sandy can do with that first round pick and some money to spend next offseason.
    He's always thrown that slow though, and he misses a ton of bats still.

  3. #48
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    22,588
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by StoicSentry View Post
    OMFG, we signed a sub-par MLB player! But he's still an MLB player! It's like Christmas or something! We're just one month late to the party.

    I guess this is what Sandy meant by "an infusion of productive players." LOL.
    How is Marcum "sub-par" by any means? He is a great addition to the back of our rotation.

  4. #49
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, 1985.
    Posts
    7,792
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by MetsJets0809 View Post
    This is the most positive post I've seen from McFly

    People have me wrong, I'm just never going to be a guy who falls in love with a GM and defends him no matter what. And I just don't buy this 'no point doing anything' mentality, it is senseless.

    Looks like SA doesn't either, which is good news.

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, 1985.
    Posts
    7,792
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Well that's the only upside to not giving him 2 years.

    Maybe he wouldn't sign for 2 years?

  6. #51
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, 1985.
    Posts
    7,792
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by nymetsrule View Post
    How is Marcum "sub-par" by any means? He is a great addition to the back of our rotation.

    He's had a better career than anyone we have not called Johan Santana.

  7. #52
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    22,153
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    Maybe he wouldn't sign for 2 years?
    He most likely wouldn't because this contract was to re-establish value for a new deal next year coming off the injury.

    Maybe if they had guaranteed him more money he might have though.

  8. #53
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    29,176
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    People have me wrong, I'm just never going to be a guy who falls in love with a GM and defends him no matter what. And I just don't buy this 'no point doing anything' mentality, it is senseless.

    Looks like SA doesn't either, which is good news.
    Dillinger said the same thing. LOL


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

  9. #54
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, 1985.
    Posts
    7,792
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    He most likely wouldn't because this contract was to re-establish value for a new deal next year coming off the injury.

    Maybe if they had guaranteed him more money he might have though.

    Exactly. He wants a springboard, we gave him one and we got a back end starter while Wheeler et al develop.

    Good fit.

  10. #55
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    15,508
    vCash
    1500
    Love this.

  11. #56
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    15,524
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by nymetsrule View Post
    How is Marcum "sub-par" by any means? He is a great addition to the back of our rotation.
    At this point, with the injuries and such, are you penciling him in as a 3?

  12. #57
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    22,153
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    Exactly. He wants a springboard, we gave him one and we got a back end starter while Wheeler et al develop.

    Good fit.
    But it doesn't change the fact that i dont love the 1 year deal.

    The only positive that could come from it aside from giving Wheeler more time is dealing him at the break for prospects.

    He doesn't mean much from a wins perspective this year.

    Hopefully he isn't asking 3 or 4 years next offseason if he pitches well because he won't get it from the Mets.
    Last edited by metswon69; 01-24-2013 at 11:31 AM.

  13. #58
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    4,273
    vCash
    1500
    Good signing. I like Marcum and he could become a very solid starter for the Mets. He has upside, he may not be an ace but he could be a very consistent middle of the rotation type of pitcher for the Mets and if the Mets aren't competitive they could look to trade him at the deadline or if he pitches well they could look to re-sign him to a long term deal next offseason and have him be a part of the future rotation with Niese, Harvey, Wheeler, and Gee.

  14. #59
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    15,524
    vCash
    1500
    How does it improve the team moving forward? That would be my question. At best, it takes some stress off of our other young starters, and maybe you move him at the deadline. But I want to see improvements for 2014 and beyond.

  15. #60
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    22,153
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by StoicSentry View Post
    How does it improve the team moving forward? That would be my question. At best, it takes some stress off of our other young starters, and maybe you move him at the deadline. But I want to see improvements for 2014 and beyond.
    If they don't have intentions on re-signing him after this year, he could command a decent price prospect wise if he is pitching well by the deadline.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •