Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Not a bad signing at all. I think the injuries and 86MPH fastball scare people but the ~ 3.70 ERA and strikeout rate is pretty solid. Certainly better than bringing in Pavano.

Bourn is intriguing but I'd rather see what Sandy can do with that first round pick and some money to spend next offseason.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Metsin08 View Post
    Not a bad signing at all. I think the injuries and 86MPH fastball scare people but the ~ 3.70 ERA and strikeout rate is pretty solid. Certainly better than bringing in Pavano.

Bourn is intriguing but I'd rather see what Sandy can do with that first round pick and some money to spend next offseason.
    He's always thrown that slow though, and he misses a ton of bats still.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StoicSentry View Post
    OMFG, we signed a sub-par MLB player! But he's still an MLB player! It's like Christmas or something! We're just one month late to the party.

I guess this is what Sandy meant by "an infusion of productive players." LOL.
    How is Marcum "sub-par" by any means? He is a great addition to the back of our rotation.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetsJets0809 View Post
    This is the most positive post I've seen from McFly

People have me wrong, I'm just never going to be a guy who falls in love with a GM and defends him no matter what. And I just don't buy this 'no point doing anything' mentality, it is senseless.

Looks like SA doesn't either, which is good news.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Well that's the only upside to not giving him 2 years.

Maybe he wouldn't sign for 2 years?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nymetsrule View Post
    How is Marcum "sub-par" by any means? He is a great addition to the back of our rotation.

He's had a better career than anyone we have not called Johan Santana.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    Maybe he wouldn't sign for 2 years?
    He most likely wouldn't because this contract was to re-establish value for a new deal next year coming off the injury.

Maybe if they had guaranteed him more money he might have though.

vCash
    People have me wrong, I'm just never going to be a guy who falls in love with a GM and defends him no matter what. And I just don't buy this 'no point doing anything' mentality, it is senseless.

Looks like SA doesn't either, which is good news.
    Dillinger said the same thing. LOL

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    He most likely wouldn't because this contract was to re-establish value for a new deal next year coming off the injury.

Maybe if they had guaranteed him more money he might have though.

Exactly. He wants a springboard, we gave him one and we got a back end starter while Wheeler et al develop.

Good fit.

vCash
    Love this.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nymetsrule View Post
    At this point, with the injuries and such, are you penciling him in as a 3?

vCash
    Exactly. He wants a springboard, we gave him one and we got a back end starter while Wheeler et al develop.

Good fit.
    But it doesn't change the fact that i dont love the 1 year deal.

The only positive that could come from it aside from giving Wheeler more time is dealing him at the break for prospects.

He doesn't mean much from a wins perspective this year.

Hopefully he isn't asking 3 or 4 years next offseason if he pitches well because he won't get it from the Mets.
    Last edited by metswon69; 01-24-2013 at 11:31 AM.

vCash
    Good signing. I like Marcum and he could become a very solid starter for the Mets. He has upside, he may not be an ace but he could be a very consistent middle of the rotation type of pitcher for the Mets and if the Mets aren't competitive they could look to trade him at the deadline or if he pitches well they could look to re-sign him to a long term deal next offseason and have him be a part of the future rotation with Niese, Harvey, Wheeler, and Gee.

vCash
    How does it improve the team moving forward? That would be my question. At best, it takes some stress off of our other young starters, and maybe you move him at the deadline. But I want to see improvements for 2014 and beyond.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StoicSentry View Post
    How does it improve the team moving forward? That would be my question. At best, it takes some stress off of our other young starters, and maybe you move him at the deadline. But I want to see improvements for 2014 and beyond.
    If they don't have intentions on re-signing him after this year, he could command a decent price prospect wise if he is pitching well by the deadline.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast