Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ5382 View Post
    Unfortunately, it seems like Young and Marcum are very similar pitchers. A mid-80's fastball is never going to be super fun to watch.

Definitely like the signing assuming he is healthy. Very effective, and can definitely be a #3-type when he is healthy.
    Yep they were both 5 innings pitchers too last year but like you said we should get more productive innings out of Marcum.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ5382 View Post
    Unfortunately, it seems like Young and Marcum are very similar pitchers. A mid-80's fastball is never going to be super fun to watch.

Definitely like the signing assuming he is healthy. Very effective, and can definitely be a #3-type when he is healthy.

I'll take Marcum over Young though. IIRC he gets on with it.

vCash
    The difference is that Marcum actually misses bats

vCash
    Perhaps the 1 year deal was desired by SA for the reasons Dugmet posted earlier:
    Beyond empirical data and analyses, Caplinger has gathered anecdotal evidence that Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery has a shelf life of six to eight years. That was true for two former Brewers pitchers, Chris Capuano and Randy Wolf, who had their elbows blow out a second time within that time frame.
    Is the risk of a blown arm in 2014 too great for us, but maybe if Marcum has a nice season someone else will be willing to give him a multi-year deal?
    Scarecrow: I haven't got a brain... only straw.
    Dorothy: How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
    Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
    Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

vCash
    Well we know why he took the 1 year deal and that was to re-establish value for next offseason.

If he gets in a good full season he'll command multiple years in FA next year and of course Citi Field can help facilitate that.
    Last edited by metswon69; 01-25-2013 at 03:58 PM.

vCash
    I don't give a flying crap if the guy is exciting or boring, if he gets three outs an inning for six or better an outing I am good even with an ERA around 4.00

East Flatbush to Canarsie to Roselle park
    vCash
    He's the guy I was hoping they got of what's left.
    Solid pro when healthy,

vCash
    http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...-shaun-marcum/

Great article on why Marcum could be a steal for the Mets.

We'll Leave a Light On For You

Believers: METMANYAK, FoC, Gotta, WrigheyesMVP, Mr. Koobs

vCash
    He definitly won't put up Dickey numbers, but he will be a very solid three behind Niese.

I assume it'll go Santana, Niese, Marcum, Harvey, Gee.

vCash
    Adam Rubin ‏@AdamRubinESPN

Source tells @jcrasnick Marcum actually can earn $4M in incentives in addition to $4M base--$1.75M in roster bonuses, $2.25M for IP to 200.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    I don't think that's a big deal, because if Marcum breaks 200 IP with us he's going to have had a great year. I think we signed him to trade at the deadline, at which point we'll call up Wheeler. He's really an ideal stop gap option.

vCash
    Beat me to it, damn lol.

vCash
    I think we signed him for many reasons - adding quality depth being the primary one.

He also gives Wheeler time to develop a bit more. He partially fills a veteran void left behind by the Dickey trade. He provides a depth option for trading players at the deadline.

And most importantly, he gives the team a real chance to compete every 5th night. Stranger things have happened in recent baseball history than a team like the Mets fighting for a shot at the playoffs.

We'll Leave a Light On For You

Believers: METMANYAK, FoC, Gotta, WrigheyesMVP, Mr. Koobs

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    I think we signed him for many reasons - adding quality depth being the primary one.

He also gives Wheeler time to develop a bit more. He partially fills a veteran void left behind by the Dickey trade. He provides a depth option for trading players at the deadline.

And most importantly, he gives the team a real chance to compete every 5th night. Stranger things have happened in recent baseball history than a team like the Mets fighting for a shot at the playoffs.
    I think the primary reason for signing Marcum is the organization's awareness that someone will have to make up for all those innings Robert Allen ate last year. While I like our young staff, it's not healthy to ask them to fill that burden. Mr. Marcum presumably will help lighten the load for the younger pitchers.
    FELLOW SATINISTS INCLUDE:
    FoC, YS, Harry, Zmaster, Gotta, ArkansasMetsFan, KingsnQueens7, The-rock-man, Wrigheyes4MVP, Vendetta, Jim Labruno

vCash
    The guy has still had success regardless of the lack of velocity. Granted he's certainly an injury concern but he's a quality enough pitcher that like you just mentioned should benefit greatly from pitching in Citi Field in comparison to Miller Park.

If the Mets could have gotten him for 2 yrs/10-12 million bucks i would have been all over it because he solidifies the 5th spot and made over 30 starts in 2010 and 2011. So although he has bouts of injury including last year, he has remained relatively healthy over the last 3 seasons.

As for playoff ERA, it's kind of irrelevant because the Mets aren't making the playoffs this year anyway and if they happened to in 2014, most teams go with a 4 man rotation anyway (which might not include him). Either way, some guys are worth giving multiple years to.

Scott Hairston was not one of them imo but Marcum i would have been more than happy to give it to even if he had gotten injured in 2014. He was on pace for a 3 fWAR season last year and had a 3 fWAR in 2011 and 2010.

That's very productive out of the 4th or 5th spot in the rotation.
    Solidify the 5th spot in the rotation? That's a funny thing to even think about. Especially when 1-4 aren't solidified either.

Shawn Marcum isn't a rare talent. A two year deal over a one year deal is a marginal thing to ***** about regardless.

Saying "why didn't we give Shawn Marcus a two year deal" is like saying "why aren't there more Seinfeld reruns on every day?"

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast