Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Kevin Durant an Elite Defender?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

22 32.84%
  • No

45 67.16%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    vCash
    I haven't gotten to watch Durant play much this season (last I saw him was in the finals), but I do look at his box scores every night. He is certainly putting up the numbers to suggest that he is among the best defenders at his position. His height allows him to contest shots better than most at his position, and he has the work ethic. So without having gotten to watch him play this season, and judging solely on his stats, I'd have to say yes, but to have a real good answer I'd have to watch him play some more.
    What the eye doesn't see and the mind doesn't know, doesn't exist.
    Follow me on Twitter and I'll follow back: @JasonJHorn

vCash
    I look at this question in a different light. Statistically the answer is yes but when you break down how he gets those staggering numbers I tend to back away from calling him elite. For KD those numbers aren't all that surprising to be honest because of his length and work ethic. I believe he's more in the mold of a Kerilenko type defender than a candidate to win defensive player of the year. How good does he have to be to be elite? I don't think he's the caliber defender of guys like LeBron, iggy, Batum or Ron Artest (from a few years ago). That's just my opinion even with the knowledge of those stats. Is Carmelo an Elite scorer? Yes, because he can score in many different ways but he's certainly not the caliber of scorer like guys like LeBron and KD because they impact that side of the floor through efficiency. Kevin Durant may very well be an elite defender based off his ability to impact the defensive side of the ball by playing the passing lanes and blocking shots based off his length but I'd trust guys like LeBron, iggy, Batum to go out and stiffle their assignment way before I do KD.
    Last edited by Bullsfan22; 01-24-2013 at 10:49 AM.

vCash
    KD allows 0.85 points per play. So I'd say close to it.

LeBron gets a lot of compliments about his D, he allows 0.88 ppp.

Iggy allows 0.73 ppp. Tony Allen allows 0.75 ppp. That is elite.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thevcballer View Post
    No and not a single one of those stats is any good at measuring a player defensively. The first 2 being counting stats. The 2nd 2 being more team based.
    I don't really have to answer that, because all you gotta do is read through the thread. There are plenty of other numbers to suggest he's an elite defender.

Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III, and Colin Kaepernick walk into a bar... To watch Russell Wilson win the Super Bowl.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nolafan33 View Post
    KD allows 0.85 points per play. So I'd say close to it.

LeBron gets a lot of compliments about his D, he allows 0.88 ppp.

Iggy allows 0.73 ppp. Tony Allen allows 0.75 ppp. That is elite.
    LeBron probably gets a little boost because he can defend multiple positions at a very high level. He might not shut any one position down like Iggy or Allen, but he can do a great job against a wide variety of players.

As for KD, I haven't seen enough of him this year to really say. Last year he was getting close, for sure. "Elite" is a very subjective word...I'm not sure I'm ready to label KD that. But again, all I got are these same stats...but defense is something that the eye test can gauge well.

vCash
    elite? no

very good? yes

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
    elite? no

very good? yes
    This

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by baller101200 View Post
    I don't really have to answer that, because all you gotta do is read through the thread. There are plenty of other numbers to suggest he's an elite defender.
    off topic but you should probably change your sig since he joined them at that bar a week later
    @paulpierce34 I told Wade I will **** his mom like how my man D. West did his mans. Thats why I got ejected
    Ignore List:
    AIMelo=KillaDUO; Reason: Makes up stories to protect the one he beats his meat to everynight(Melo)
    Chucky Woods; Reason: Packer Homer that just talks outta his Azz
    HaruSoul; Reason: Sanchez homer can't see that he is a POS qb
    Hustlenomics; Reason: Good luck debating with this Ronda homer
    nickdymez; Reason: Kobe/Laker homer but didn't even know how the Lakers got Kobe

vCash
    When he wants to he's very good, when he's not engaged he can be very bad lol. Good thing is he's cut the deficit this year of how much he's not interested. I love the fact that he values the routine contest of a shot, so many young players dont get that concept. With all that said he's not elite defensively but if he really put in the effort i think he could possibly. Difference between him and Lebron is LBJ is so strong that it's easier for him to play D without fouling.

Red Sox, Ravens, Thunder, Blackhawks, UConn and Penn St. Fan!

vCash
    Damn 70% say No. That's even bigger than I expected.
    Last edited by jayjay33; 01-24-2013 at 01:21 PM.

vCash
    Just by reading your post, defensive rating doesn't prove anything. Kobe can't defend for his life. I don't care what the rating says, watch a game and see how he gets blown by or lets the player drive pass him. Howard and Phil Jackson both called him out on his defense and he still got all NBA defensive team. Sorry, don't judge it over rating.

Durant is not an elite defender. He's working his way and has improved since last year but he's not rotating on defense and doesn't defend the best player each game like LeBron does.

vCash
    I don't think he has joined elite yet, but he is a good defender. His length helps offset his lack of strength, and he is a smart defender.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

vCash
    If not yet, I'll say he gets there in the next two years. I watch them frequently and he can be a step slow on his rotations, and the whole team suffers inexplicable occasional lapses on defense. You'll know if its an okc-heat finals rematch, and he guards and can slow down Lebron over a series.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OceanSpray View Post
    Just by reading your post, defensive rating doesn't prove anything. Kobe can't defend for his life. I don't care what the rating says, watch a game and see how he gets blown by or lets the player drive pass him. Howard and Phil Jackson both called him out on his defense and he still got all NBA defensive team. Sorry, don't judge it over rating.

Durant is not an elite defender. He's working his way and has improved since last year but he's not rotating on defense and doesn't defend the best player each game like LeBron does.
    The lower the better, therefore Kobe's rating is worse than KD's and Lebron's and not very good.

Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III, and Colin Kaepernick walk into a bar... To watch Russell Wilson win the Super Bowl.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by baller101200 View Post
    The lower the better, therefore Kobe's rating is worse than KD's and Lebron's and not very good.
    I took his word for it but defensive rating doesn't mean anything. Kobe's rating was higher than Wade/LeBron/Durant last year but he still got into the NBA all defensive first team. The ratings are garbage and false. The league will always give Kobe it because he's Kobe.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast