Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Kevin Durant an Elite Defender?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

22 32.84%
  • No

45 67.16%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Is Kevin Durant an Elite Defender?

Simple question, do you think that Kevin Durant is an elite defender?

Let's go over some numbers for those of you inclined to say that he's not:

We'll go with elementary statistics first. KD currently averages 1.6 steals per game. To compare to some other wings... Lebron averages 1.7, Tony Allen averages 1.7, and Metta World Peace averages 1.8. It's widely accepted that these players are some of the elite perimeter defenders in the entire NBA. KD's 1.6 currently outdoes other elite wing defenders such as Andre Iguodala, Nicolas Batum, and Kobe Bryant (he's not elite, but I threw him in there for Kobe fans' ego's sake).

Now, let's look at KD's blocks per game. He currently averages 1.2 blocks per game. Nothing to boast about, but then lets look at that compared to the same players that he competes with in steals:

MWP - 0.6
    Lebron - 0.8
    George - 0.7
    Batum - 1.1

I'll stop there because there's an obvious trend... None stack up to KD's total except for Batum (although he is outdone by KD in both). In other words, KD is one of the few in the NBA averaging 1 of each stat (blocks AND steals) per game. Here's the short list of those players, all of who are viewed as above average to elite defenders:

Kevin Durant
    Marc Gasol
    Joakim Noah
    Nicolas Batum
    Andrei Kerilenko
    Anthony Davis
    Josh Smith

LINK.

Alright, those stats are relatively irrelevant anyway, so on to the ones that matter.

Kevin Durant currently ranks #8 in defensive win shares on the season. Every single player other than Paul George who is above him on this list is a big man, and the names include elite defenders such as Tim Duncan and Joakim Noah.

Kevin Durant currently owns a defensive rating of 101. For comparison's sake, Lebron James currently has a defensive rating of 102, while Kobe's weighs in at 108.

All of these stats/comparisons can be done here.

I can jump to 82games.com and grab some more, but I'm tired for now.

So, do you feel that Kevin Durant is an elite defender in the NBA?

Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III, and Colin Kaepernick walk into a bar... To watch Russell Wilson win the Super Bowl.

vCash
    of course this season
    Quote Originally Posted by Munkeysuit View Post
    Rondo #1 PG in the league ...he has a ring to prove it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzbolt View Post
    Wall will win more and will be better then Irving Quote me.
    Quote Originally Posted by bearadonisdna View Post
    u can't build a franchise around lebron. Its been proven already. he can't attract players and has to follow to be matched up with talent.

vCash
    Well, no small forward on the Warriors made a basket tonight, so that counts for something. He even switched up and tried to guard Curry and J.Jack, it was impressive. Curry didn't even try to take him either.

vCash
    Its very tough to figure out when that player makes that leap, but last year I thought to myself, if Durant is soo good defensively, why are the Thunder not an elite defensive team, given that they have Thabo/Ibaka/Perkins/Collison and the most athletic PG in the game? Shouldn't they be the most suffocating defensive team in the league? Whats holding them back, Coaching?

"It’s absolutely ludicrous” (to judge players based on whether they’ve won a title.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    Its very tough to figure out when that player makes that leap, but last year I thought to myself, if Durant is soo good defensively, why are the Thunder not an elite defensive team, given that they have Thabo/Ibaka/Perkins/Collison and the most athletic PG in the game? Shouldn't they be the most suffocating defensive team in the league? Whats holding them back, Coaching?
    Well from an individual view, the team loses four full points of defensive production when Durant heads to the bench. Obviously that doesn't new everything, but I'd say that's a pretty big factor when looking at KD's individual defensive impact.

Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III, and Colin Kaepernick walk into a bar... To watch Russell Wilson win the Super Bowl.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    I'd say coaching plays a big part in it. I hardly ever see Thunder trap and press. As young as they are you would think they're D would be more suffocating. Also blocks and steals don't tell the whole story, but I do believe he is better on D this year than he was last year.

All of a sudden all 8 of these teams are supposed to be better than the Heat according to this guy. LeBron is a void but him leaving does not make the Heat fall out of the playoff race in the east smh

Quote Originally Posted by DR_1 View Post
    Bulls, Cavs, Raptors, Wizards, Hornets, Hawks. Maybe Pacers and Nets too.

vCash
    What does separate Lebron and Durant then?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DanG View Post
    What does separate Lebron and Durant then?
    Handling, Playmaking, Athleticism, Size, Strength.... but yeah nothing much..............

vCash
    I rarely watch Durant on the defensive end, since I tend to focus on his scoring. Having said that, he does have elite defensive stats, and his length allows him to be a great defender in theory.

I watched his defensive play last season in the playoffs closely and he absolutely wants to be a top level defender. Durant is not quite the athletic freak that Lebron is (who is?), but Durant is far more focused and hungry this year than ever before.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by baller101200 View Post
    Simple question, do you think that Kevin Durant is an elite defender?

Let's go over some numbers for those of you inclined to say that he's not:

We'll go with elementary statistics first. KD currently averages 1.6 steals per game. To compare to some other wings... Lebron averages 1.7, Tony Allen averages 1.7, and Metta World Peace averages 1.8. It's widely accepted that these players are some of the elite perimeter defenders in the entire NBA. KD's 1.6 currently outdoes other elite wing defenders such as Andre Iguodala, Nicolas Batum, and Kobe Bryant (he's not elite, but I threw him in there for Kobe fans' ego's sake).

Now, let's look at KD's blocks per game. He currently averages 1.2 blocks per game. Nothing to boast about, but then lets look at that compared to the same players that he competes with in steals:

MWP - 0.6
    Lebron - 0.8
    George - 0.7
    Batum - 1.1

I'll stop there because there's an obvious trend... None stack up to KD's total except for Batum (although he is outdone by KD in both). In other words, KD is one of the few in the NBA averaging 1 of each stat (blocks AND steals) per game. Here's the short list of those players, all of who are viewed as above average to elite defenders:

Kevin Durant
    Marc Gasol
    Joakim Noah
    Nicolas Batum
    Andrei Kerilenko
    Anthony Davis
    Josh Smith

LINK.

Alright, those stats are relatively irrelevant anyway, so on to the ones that matter.

Kevin Durant currently ranks #8 in defensive win shares on the season. Every single player other than Paul George who is above him on this list is a big man, and the names include elite defenders such as Tim Duncan and Joakim Noah.

Kevin Durant currently owns a defensive rating of 101. For comparison's sake, Lebron James currently has a defensive rating of 102, while Kobe's weighs in at 108.

All of these stats/comparisons can be done here.

I can jump to 82games.com and grab some more, but I'm tired for now.

So, do you feel that Kevin Durant is an elite defender in the NBA?
    No and not a single one of those stats is any good at measuring a player defensively. The first 2 being counting stats. The 2nd 2 being more team based.

2012 allstar

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thevcballer View Post
    No and not a single one of those stats is any good at measuring a player defensively. The first 2 being counting stats. The 2nd 2 being more team based.
    What about this one?

Opponent's efficiency

Durant: 9.5
    LeBron: 14.6
    Melo: 15,2

vCash
    Yes...

vCash
    No.

Shump, Shump!

vCash
    Yes. He has been since last year.