Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Boehner: Obama is trying to 'annihilate the Republican party'

Washington (CNN) – House Speaker John Boehner told a group of Republicans the day after President Barack Obama's inaugural ceremony that the president's focus was to "annihilate the Republican Party."

In remarks to Republicans attending a closed luncheon sponsored by the Ripon Society, Boehner pointed to the president's speech as evidence Obama recognizes he can't achieve his agenda because of the GOP-led House of Representatives.

"Given what we heard yesterday about the president's vision for his second term, it's pretty clear to me that he knows he can't do any of that as long as the House is controlled by Republicans. So we're expecting over the next 22 months to be the focus of this administration as they attempt to annihilate the Republican Party," the House speaker said.

Boehner underlined his point, adding, "And let me just tell you, I do believe that is their goal – to just shove us into the dustbin of history."

Boehner's spokesman said the transcript of Boehner's remarks posted by the Ripon Society was accurate, and noted that the speaker regularly attends the event held by the mainstream Republican group.

In his speech Boehner explained his strategy to move forward with a three month extension of the debt ceiling that includes a provision to force the Senate to vote on a budget.

The Ohio Republican also talked about how he's had to reassure fellow GOP members and donors who have expressed frustration in recent weeks about the political climate, including text he received from former Notre Dame football coach Lou Holtz. He's a longtime Republican supporter and Boehner friend who the speaker has tapped to give motivational speeches to House members.

Boehner noted that he had asked Holtz to come talk to the House Republican freshmen recently to prepare them for the fights ahead, but ended up having to convince Holtz the party would sort things out.

"I said, 'Lou, would you stop it? We're Americans, we'll figure this out!' And I had to spend 15 minutes giving Lou Holtz a pep talk! I had to do it again last night!" Boehner said.

The speaker also noted that he and other House Republican leaders charted out a short term strategy at their retreat last week with all House Republicans, but the party needed to begin a broader discussion about the big policy debates ahead.

"And while a lot of the retreat unfortunately got focused on the next 90 days, there needs to be further work to talk about how we're going to navigate the next 20 months and what our goals are and how do we defend ourselves in what I do believe is going to be a very hostile environment. All I know is I'm up for the fight," he said.
    --CNN

Anyone else feel like this is paranoia at its highest level. Also, isn't it really ****ing annoying that rather than worry about actual issues facing this country, Boehner's primary concern is making sure Obama doesn't destroy the Republican party? A concern that has no evidence that points to it being worth stressing about. And **** Lou Holtz.

vCash
    Come on now, both parties are like this. Stop blaming one side when the other is doing the exact same thing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GoCrew5 View Post
    Come on now, both parties are like this. Stop blaming one side when the other is doing the exact same thing.
    Show us any Dem holding high congressional office (or any other national position of authority) who's claiming that Reps are out to "destroy" the Dem party? To be fair though, "the dustbin of history" is probably the right place for what passes as the Rep party in 2013.

There are plenty of aspects of politics where you could make a case that Dems are 'as bad' as the Reps, but rampant paranoia is not one of them. I suppose paranoia among 'leading' Reps is not so surprising when you consider what 'their' media voices are capable of. Just listen to Limbaugh and Hannity ranting about Hillary in Congress.

http://www.politicususa.com/wing-fin...ing-tears.html

Baltimore now, but born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    vCash
    What he democrats do is generally point to statements like this,.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-A09a_gHJc

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AmsterNat View Post
    Show us any Dem holding high congressional office (or any other national position of authority) who's claiming that Reps are out to "destroy" the Dem party? To be fair though, "the dustbin of history" is probably the right place for what passes as the Rep party in 2013.

There are plenty of aspects of politics where you could make a case that Dems are 'as bad' as the Reps, but rampant paranoia is not one of them. I suppose paranoia among 'leading' Reps is not so surprising when you consider what 'their' media voices are capable of. Just listen to Limbaugh and Hannity ranting about Hillary in Congress.

http://www.politicususa.com/wing-fin...ing-tears.html
    Rewind 4 years, it was everywhere.

Seriously, is everyone's memory so short they have already forgotten how hell bent the Democrats were while Bush was in office? They said the exact same things.

I'm not even Republican. But this is pretty obvious. Neither party is better than the other. It's when people act like their party is somehow better is when this whole things just becomes funny bias.

As for paranoia. I'm not certain if one party does that more or not. I might agree that the Republican party spins paranoia more than the Dems.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GA16Angels View Post
    --CNN

Anyone else feel like this is paranoia at its highest level. Also, isn't it really ****ing annoying that rather than worry about actual issues facing this country, Boehner's primary concern is making sure Obama doesn't destroy the Republican party? A concern that has no evidence that points to it being worth stressing about. And **** Lou Holtz.
    Hey. HEY! Lou Hotz is a schhhhaint!

Yes both parties do this, but I find it ironic coming from Boehner, whose party's open objective since 2009 has been to deny 100% of Obama's nominations, legislation, and policies.

Regardless, BOTH parties' loyalties lie with the survival of their own political party. The fate of the country overall is just an afterthought. Win the next election, protect your funders' interests, make the other party look bad...and if you have time maybe pass legislation that will help the vast majority of Americans.

vCash
    Boehner is pointing in the wrong direction. The Tea Party is trying to destroy the Republican party.
    "The idea that the market will solve such things as environmental concerns, as our racial divides, as our class distinctions, our problems with educating and incorporating one generation of workers into the economy after the other when that economy is changing; the idea that the market is going to heed all of the human concerns and still maximise profit is juvenile. . . Are we all in this together or are we all not?" - David Simon, creator of The Wire

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Labgrownmangoat View Post
    Boehner is pointing in the wrong direction. The Tea Party is trying to destroy the Republican party.

Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    Neither party is better than the other. It's when people act like their party is somehow better is when this whole things just becomes funny bias.

As for paranoia. I'm not certain if one party does that more or not. I might agree that the Republican party spins paranoia more than the Dems.
    I have made it clear that my own politics are well to the left of the Dems, so whenever I find myself in a position of 'defending' them in any way, it is very much a question of the LOTE (lesser of two evils) for me. I believe that no rational person could deny that there are far more extremist batshit crazies hiding in the Rep party. There is no ultra-left 'koolaid' wing trying to subvert the Dem establishment, and drag it kicking and screaming to the extreme left, as the TP and its fellow travelers have been trying to do with the Reps in the opposite direction.

I suppose it's big of you to 'might agree' that Reps spin paranoia more when the evidence is all around every single day. My contempt for the avarice and corruption of politicians extends equally to both parties. But you surely cannot deny that the extreme right (and Boehner ) have a lock on seriously batshit crazy paranoia, particularly since the election.

vCash
    You're right about that.

vCash
    Ive said it before and Ill continue saying it.
    we view life through the prism of our own expeiriences and behaviours.

If you lose something and the first thing that pops into your head is "someone stole it" that is usually because YOU have taken something that doesnt belong to you, and expect that to be a normal behaviour from others.
    People who would never steal, assume everyone is like them as well.

The Republicans are forever seeing monsters over their shoulders, and accusing the Dems of these eloborate political schemes,because THAT IS HOW THEY HAVE OPERATED FOR THE LAST 70 YEARS.THEY KNOW EVERY DIRTY TRICK IN THE BOOK,AND SEE THEIR OWN BAD BEHAVIOUR BEHIND EVERY MOVE OTHERS MAKE.

Its hilarious.
    Last edited by stephkyle7; 01-24-2013 at 11:21 AM.
    STORK WAS RIGHT!
    Mcfadden is useless

vCash
    I wish the Democrats were that aggressive. Republicans would be.

The current Republican party brings nothing to the table other than attempts to sabotage anything and everything they can. You can call that democracy if you want, but I don't think the interests of the country are behind it. It's just party politics. If the Republicans were interested in actual progress, then they'd be valuable, but they aren't so they're not. The dustbin of history is where they belong.
    2013 Adopt-a-Packer: Aaron Rodgers

vCash
    Deadspin got their hands on Lou Holtz's text

I tell you what Boney, I think I've had jutht about enuff of thith Barack HUTHEIN Obama and hith thocialitht policies! I'm done. FINITHED! Thith country ith over withth! We are not doing thith again!
    Whatever happened to perthonal rethponthibility in thith country? When I wath a kid, my momma took me athide and said to me, "Thon, the Good Lord gave you two handth for workin' and not for whithlin'!" AND THEE WATH RIGHT! This Obama fella ithn't preaching hard work, the way I did at the Univerthity of Notre Dame! He wanth to give everyone handoutths: blacks, hithpanics, Methicans... ALL OF THEM! He'th been corrupted by the Jewth!

I'm tho deprethhed. I feel thuicidal! Even Miami's defenthive line didn't cause me this kind of strethhhh! I'm not thure there's a pep talk in the world that can take away my thadness this time, Boney! I always thay that God made the night tho that you could have a brighter day, but now I tell ya my dayth doesn't feel tho bright! I'm gonna take thyanide pills, Boney! DON'T TRY TO TALK ME OUT OF THITH!

PS - I think the Univerthity of Notre Dame COULD go undefeated nexth theathon. What a wonderful job Brian Kelly did with thothe young men. Did you hear about that Thamoan fella? Thounds like he could use thome alone time in the bathroom!

http://deadspin.com/5978608/what-did...s-inauguration

Both sides pretty much do everything they can to posture themselves for more seats come election time. The GOP has done plenty of sabotaging in recent years, and the Dems probably will do much of the same given the chance. There could be a hint of paranoia in there, for sure, but like most every other politician, Obama is more partisan than not. If Obama and company see the GOP as vulnerable, which they very well may be right now, they certainly aren't not going to go for the figurative "kill".
    [IMG]hi[/IMG]

vCash
    I love that the sponsored ad for this thread is: http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com...31811581339879

vCash
    The Tea Party is trying to get the Republican Party to stop being the diet version of the Democrats on spending.

I think that is a good thing. If it is damaging the party a bit in the short term, so be it. The party will be stronger in the long term for it.

Mitt Romney winning the election would have been the most damaging thing for the Republicans. Because, Mitt Romney had big government Republican written all over him.
    Last edited by gcoll; 01-24-2013 at 01:57 PM.

vCash
    Did any of my post say both parties aren't like this? And where exactly did I blame anyone for anything. My reason for bringing this up was simply because I hate that politicians, from both the left and right, always put party priorities over country priorities. Another good example of this is when Mitch McConnell said that Senate and House Republican's priority should be to make Obama a one term president rather than focusing on trying to work with the president and improve the economy.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast