Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    I think this is a long shot.
    I agree.

ďNinety percent Iíll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent Iíll probably waste.Ē
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

vCash
    Hey Clay .. did you fix your name or have I just been reading it dyslexicly for years?

vCash
    He will always be Clayamtion. Forever and ever and ever and ever and ever.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetsFanatic19 View Post
    He will always be Clayamtion. Forever and ever and ever and ever and ever.
    WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!

He will always be the guy who can't spell his own name.

YOU KNOW DAMN RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

vCash
    The Mets’ appeal to keep their first-round pick protected is expected to be decided in the next few days, according to an MLB source. With spring training looming, the union and baseball consider this a time-sensitive issue and are expected to quickly settle what is considered a “loophole” in the new free-agent compensation system meant to protect the teams with the 10 worst records.

The union is also expected to support the Mets’ appeal, according to an MLBPA source.

The matter is even more urgent for the Mets, who need to make a move to address their weak outfield. With the Diamondbacks dealing Justin Upton to the Braves on Thursday, the outfielder market is expected to shake out quickly.

The top free agent outfielder available is Michael Bourn, but since he turned down a qualifying offer from the Braves, he is a free agent who would require a first-round draft pick as compensation.

Under baseball’s CBA, the top 10 picks are protected and are not forfeited if a team signs a free agent such as Bourn — those teams give up a second-round pick. The Mets, however, were bumped to the No. 11 pick in the 2013 draft because the Pirates were unable to sign their 2012 top pick.

The Mets feel their pick should also be protected in the spirit of the rule, which is to help the teams that finished as the 10 worst clubs the previous season. The Mets, who finished with the 10th-worst record in 2012, argue they should give up a second-round pick if they sign a free agent such as Bourn.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...#ixzz2IzTxBEQn

ďNinety percent Iíll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent Iíll probably waste.Ē

vCash
    The Mets are arguing that their No. 11 pick should be protected -- and not forfeited if they sign Michael Bourn. The logic: The pick would have been in the top 10 had the Pittsburgh Pirates not been awarded an extra pick for failing to sign a draftee in 2012, which bumped the Mets back a slot.

The collective bargaining agreement proves a problem if strictly read, though. The relevant sentence reads:

"... A Club shall not be required to forfeit a selection in the top ten of the first round of the Rule 4 Draft, and its highest available selection shall be deemed its first selection following the tenth selection of the first round."

MLB interprets the language as if only 10 picks are protected no matter the circumstances, and that pool is not expanded if compensatory picks are awarded within the top 10.

The sense around some in baseball Thursday was that unless the union pushes the issue hard on Scott Boras' behalf, MLB has no incentive to reintrepret the rule. Even a push from the union may go nowhere because MLB has no incentive to budge, although at least one person who would benefit from the pick becoming protected felt they had a strong shot at prevailing, according to ESPNNewYork.com's Andrew Marchand.

By protecting the Mets' pick -- expanding the pool of protected picks to 11 this year, and setting a precedent -- MLB essentially would be allowing the Mets to bid more aggressively because the team would not be concerned about losing its first-round pick.

Expanding the pool of bidders theoretically would drive up Bourn's price -- not a precedent MLB would desire, since it represents 30 owners, who have an interest in keeping salary costs contained.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/met...medium=twitter

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metsbulls1025 View Post
    They must really want Bourne.
    Sign and trade...that's the answer. Have a team in the bottom of the draft sign him and trade him to the Mets for the equivalent talent in the farm system. Is it legal? Yes. Is it ethical? No more than losing protection of the tenth pick because pittsburgh failed last year.
    Bob
    Met fan since 1969

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnNY62 View Post
    Hey Clay .. did you fix your name or have I just been reading it dyslexicly for years?
    Yes I did, it has taken sometime for me to adjust to the correct spelling.

I was ridiculed here for being to stupid to understand the finer points of the game & the Mets if I couldn't even spell my name right.

Let me just say I was right about all three things that they laughed at me about.

vCash
    Hopefully mld wakes up and tweaks this rule.
    if u like mixed martial arts check out the psd mma forum

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Yes I did, it has taken sometime for me to adjust to the correct spelling.

I was ridiculed here for being to stupid to understand the finer points of the game & the Mets if I couldn't even spell my name right.

Let me just say I was right about all three things that they laughed at me about.
    Don't take this the wrong way.

I just don't respect Claymation as much as I respected clayamtion.

I feel like I don't even know you anymore.
    Go Grab My Belt

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    Don't take this the wrong way.

I just don't respect Claymation as much as I respected clayamtion.

I feel like I don't even know you anymore.
    I liked you better when you lived in NY, now that you live in the DC area.
    You've become soft. j/k

But to your point I miss the old spelling, it had misplaced character.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metsbulls1025 View Post
    Just thinking.

Say they get it protected. I think at this point Boras may let Bourne sign for a 1 year deal around 12 million and go test the market again next year. He is known to do that with players from time to time.

The question is would we get a pick if he left after his year is up?

Because that would be fantastic to save our 1st round this year and be able to obtain an extra one next year.
    I believe with the new rules teams losing a free agent like Bourn don't get the other team's "unprotected first round pick" but just get a sandwich pick between the first and second round.

IF the Mets don't get their pick protected, and still sign Bourn, the Mets lose that #11 pick, but the Braves don't get it, it just goes away, and everyone moves up one pick.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    I liked you better when you lived in NY, now that you live in the DC area.
    You've become soft. j/k

But to your point I miss the old spelling, it had misplaced character.
    Northern Virginia and DC Metro do make you more mannered as compared to NY. Then again, anything would make you mild mannered in comparison to NY.

Can't help it. The weather is mild. The people are fairly pleasant. The price of goods is reasonable (in comparison to NY - expensive in comparison to everything else).

They kill you with mildness. Kind of like the corn salsa at Chipotle.
    Go Grab My Belt

vCash
    At least they can't take away your NY sense of humor.

vCash
    They try. But then I just watch reruns of Seinfeld and yell at someone on the road while driving.

It helps.
    Go Grab My Belt

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast