Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Jim Callis ‏@jimcallisBA
    Rules say top 10 picks, period. @ramin808: Not wishful thinking, Mets had a top ten worst record there pick should be protected #mlbdraft

Jim Callis ‏@jimcallisBA
    Rules are rules. Wishful thinking. @chrisbirckhead: any thoughts on #mets protest that their 11 pick should be protected? #mlbdraft

ďNinety percent Iíll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent Iíll probably waste.Ē
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

vCash
    Heck at least they are showing some fight in the FA market....

vCash
    http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/ml...rst-round-pick

The MLBPA would support the Mets if the club requests to have its first-round pick protected should it sign free agent Michael Bourn, Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports reported Thursday.

With the Braves extending Bourn a qualifying offer this season, any club wishing to sign him must give up their first-round pick unless the pick lands in the top 10. The Mets have the 11th pick in the draft but had the 10th-worst record in the majors.

The Pirates' failure to sign eighth-overall pick Mark Appel -- the presumed No. 1 pick who slipped due to signability issues after the Astros selected Carlos Correa first -- in last year's draft resulted in Pittsburgh getting the eighth pick in this year's draft as compensation.

Therefore, the Mets were pushed back from 10th to 11th and lost protection on the pick when signing a free agent who was extended the qualifying offer.

The Mets' argument would be the spirit of the rule put in place with the new free-agent compensation system meant to protect the teams with the 10 worst records, not simply those who have the top 10 picks due to draft pick compensation from the previous year.

vCash
    Come on Selig and the MLBPA. Help us out!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

vCash
    Makes sense to me

vCash
    Yeah the Mets have the spirit of the rule correct (even it's not technically) and backing from the MLBPA should put pressure on the commissioner's office.

We'll see but i still think it's wishful thinking.

vCash
    OMG let it happen.

Bourn, Marcum, TDA, and Syndergaard in one off season is pretty good with me.

vCash
    Yep it would be great to keep that pick and the slot money associated with it.

We really don't want to lose that amount of money in the draft which can be useful in later rounds if they sign a guy under slot.
    Last edited by metswon69; 01-24-2013 at 03:46 PM.

vCash
    I hope they get the green light and get the pick protected, is only right since that was the way it was in the old agreement.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    I hope they get the green light and get the pick protected, is only right since that was the way it was in the old agreement.
    Considering what Selig has done for the Mets in the past, if Alderson really wants Bourne, I could see Selig cutting the Mets a break here.

vCash
    MLBPA are the ones who may put up the biggest stink about the situation, there is a rumor that they might file a grievance against MLB.

ďNinety percent Iíll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent Iíll probably waste.Ē

vCash
    Why? Isn't it better for the players to draw more interest from teams?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

vCash
    I think this is a long shot.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NY_Heartbreak View Post
    Why? Isn't it better for the players to draw more interest from teams?
    Because player's value are decreasing if a team loses draft money and a pick.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    I think this is a long shot.
    I agree.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast