*From previous professional high
    Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mlb...#ixzz2IrAEVPUx

vCash

vCash
    Is Chris Sale at risk?

vCash
    Verducci can **** himself.

vCash
    The Mets have done the right thing in his development increasing his innings incrementally.

I know Strasburg got hurt 2 years ago but knock on wood Harvey should be ok aside from him showing some possible fatigue towards the end of the season.
    Last edited by metswon69; 01-24-2013 at 05:27 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nymetsrule View Post
    Verducci can **** himself.
    Part of the corner everyone is now painted into is that if any of these pitchers develop an arm injury, someone will point to the Verducci effect as the basis when the statistical norm might be that 1 in 5 pitchers spends time on the DL anyway...but I think there is merit in a philosophy that teams shouldn't add massive number of innings to a pitcher year to year.
    Last edited by Dugmet; 01-24-2013 at 06:44 AM.

vCash
    The Verducci effect is very flawed, and here is why:

If Matt Harvey averages about 16.6 pitches per inning and Felix Doubront averages about 18 pitches per inning, then after their respective 2012 campaigns Harvey has thrown about 2810 pitches and Doubront 2898 pitches, even though Harvey threw more innings.

There will be some correlation because you usually have to throw some pitches to get through an inning. But, my example shows that if Harvey had Doubront's pitches to innings ratio, he would have about an additional 6 innings, throwing the same number of pitches as Doubront.

That's why they count pitches, not innings. Someone should do a real study to see what the correlation is between pitch count increase, and injury.
    Scarecrow: I haven't got a brain... only straw.
    Dorothy: How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
    Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
    Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

vCash
    I'm not convinced there's all that much you can do, apart from using common sense. Sadly the hand-wringers and worriers have won out over the old school thinkers, where kids were not babied, and guys like Seaver et al threw a million innings and were fine.

My plan would be to continue doing everything to stockpile high upside power throwing arms, I can't see any other practical plan, let's be honest here, let's say Harvey, Wheeler and Noah all become top of the rotation type arms, at least one will probably miss significant time to TJ or something similar. Meija has already had TJ(?), and he's hardly seen NY.

It's just how it is. It makes you weep, but it is going to happen to someone sooner or later.

vCash
    Deposdesta on Harvey's innings limit last year and Verducci's claim..

We are acutely aware of each and every pitcher’s workload throughout the season and, in fact, maintain multi-year plans to get younger players ready for a Major League workload in a reasonable and gradual fashion. While there are some general rules of thumb, we look at each pitcher on an individualized basis. As far as Matt Harvey is concerned, his workload did increase by 34 innings in 2012 over 2011. However, some of that increase was due to an increased efficiency of his work. In fact, he made just four more starts in 2012 than he did in 2011, so on average he was working deeper into games in 2012, though he maintained similar pitch counts. Fortunately, we had this happen in a number of instances in 2012. Furthermore, as the year stretched on, and Matt approached and surpassed his 2011 totals, both in starts and innings, we adjusted his recovery time to provide him extra rest. There’s always a careful balance between stressing players so that they grow (like weight lifting) and protecting them from doing too much. We simply try to be responsible and methodical in the way we go about it.”
    http://metsblog.com/metsblog/depodes...-after-effect/

vCash
    Isn't that kinda what I said?
    Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by eltwo View Post
    Isn't that kinda what I said?
    Yeah, you're spot on.

vCash

If Matt Harvey averages about 16.6 pitches per inning and Felix Doubront averages about 18 pitches per inning, then after their respective 2012 campaigns Harvey has thrown about 2810 pitches and Doubront 2898 pitches, even though Harvey threw more innings.

There will be some correlation because you usually have to throw some pitches to get through an inning. But, my example shows that if Harvey had Doubront's pitches to innings ratio, he would have about an additional 6 innings, throwing the same number of pitches as Doubront.

That's why they count pitches, not innings. Someone should do a real study to see what the correlation is between pitch count increase, and injury.
    You mean someone hasn't come up with a Pitch Count XFIP yet????

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jomota View Post
    You mean someone hasn't come up with a Pitch Count XFIP yet????
    You just did!

vCash

From what I've seen (as far as studies go), pitch count/innings thrown is a very real issue for young players.

vCash
    innings ≠ pitch count

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast