Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Scott Elbert has another surgery on left elbow

The Dodgers got bad news on Wednesday, as relief pitcher Scott Elbert underwent arthroscopic surgery on his left elbow in Los Angeles, the second procedure on his elbow in four months. Elbert had arthroscopic surgery to clean up scar tissue in his left elbow on Sept. 19, and the original plan was for him to resume his normal offseason throwing program in January and was expected to be ready for spring training.

The new procedure was to clean up a new area of cartilage damage in is left elbow, and the 40-minute procedure was performed by Dr. Neal ElAttrache. Elbert can begin physical therapy in three days, and can resume a throwing program in six weeks, which could put his status for opening day in jeopardy.

Elbert made his first opening day roster in 2012, and he was 1-1 with a 2.20 ERA in 43 games, with 29 strikeouts and 13 walks in 32⅔ innings. But he had two stints on the disabled list with left elbow inflammation, missing 22 games in July and August, then missing the final 34 games of the year.

The Elbert news puts the signing of left-handed pitcher J.P. Howell in a whole new light. The signing of Howell might not necessarily give the Dodgers a pair of southpaws in the bullpen, though Paco Rodriguez may have something to say about that during spring training. Perhaps this is more like last season, when Todd Coffey was signed as a reaction to Blake Hawksworth needing a second surgical procedure on his elbow.

im glad we have paco

PWEEEG The Gawwd

vCash
    Paco time!

vCash
    Dodgers didn't necessarily need to use paco so soon because of Elbert, but now they should use him to open the season with Elbert's injury.. I kinda like this actually.. That might sound bad, but I really like paco.

Your baby can't do this

vCash
    doesnt sound bad at all ^^^ i know paco is young but i have more faith in him than i EVER had in elbert.

PWEEEG The Gawwd

vCash
    Ehhh, I'm not a big fan of Elbert. Much rather see Paco out there.

vCash
    same here

PWEEEG The Gawwd

vCash
    this is too bad i like elbert, hopefully he comes back strong when the season roles around.

vCash
    speaking of elbows, has anyone heard anything on billingsly

vCash
    This is why they signed JP Howell, they knew Elbert was having some problem.
    Last edited by rjvacad; 01-24-2013 at 12:03 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaban View Post
    speaking of elbows, has anyone heard anything on billingsly
    Nothing recent, I guess no news is good news. Sense he is probably just moving through his normal throwing program.
    The Runnin' Rebels are back!!!!

UNLV Class of '14

LA Kings: 27-16-5 (4-2, 4-3, 1-4)
    LA Clippers: 56-26 (2-4)
    UNLV Runnin' Rebels:
    LA Dodgers: 33-42

vCash
    Damnit.

Elbert has progressed well the last few years... But I guess Paco will be pushed into the fire, but it's cool, I like the kid