Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 34 of 39 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast
Results 496 to 510 of 585
  1. #496
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    35,621
    vCash
    1000
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
    Let's see when it's all said and done at the end of 2013. We'll see what OF has the better #'s and what team makes the playoffs. My moneys on the Yankees.
    Who cares who makes the playoffs?

    Better outfield does not mean in the playoffs.

    Last year the best outfield by a long shot wasn't in the playoffs.

  2. #497
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,796
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by harlequin018 View Post
    The Braves feature BJ Upton, whos been a 3 WAR guy the past two years. I think he gets better in a change of environment and playing with his brother, but we will stick to what he's been doing. Justin Upton is a five tool player entering his prime at 25. He played in a terrible hitters park around a terrible lineup. His production will inevitably increase. I think giving him 6 WAR like his 2011 year might be a stretch (he has the talent however, he could easily be a 7-8 guy), but I think we all agree he's better than the 3 he posted last year. Lets be fair and average it out to 4.5 WAR. Heyward is a superstar in the making. In his two relatively healthy seasons he put up WARs in the 6 range. He will take a step forward this year because his lineup is better and he's learning the game. However, I'll take a conservative approach and say he simply repeats a 6 WAR season.
    Do you really consider Chase Field to be a terrible hitters park?

  3. #498
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    14,219
    vCash
    1500

  4. #499
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    260
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
    Let's see when it's all said and done at the end of 2013. We'll see what OF has the better #'s and what team makes the playoffs. My moneys on the Yankees.
    remember what he just said, ill be here when the season is over to brag

  5. #500
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,568
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    Who cares who makes the playoffs?

    Better outfield does not mean in the playoffs.

    Last year the best outfield by a long shot wasn't in the playoffs.
    Even if the Angels were the best OF by far - which I hope is the team you're talking about - there was still so much going on with that team, including terrible managing and lineup making by Manager Mike Sciosia.

    But when you add big names like the Upton brothers to your team and think so much of it, then lets see how much of an impact they both have on your teams chances to making the post-season. I don't think they will be that great. We will see what teams outfield has the best stats at the end of the year.

    I'm just glad the DBacks were finally able to get rid of him. He needs to know this is not basketball or the NBA.

  6. #501
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Kris Medlen's Bed
    Posts
    10,024
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
    Even if the Angels were the best OF by far - which I hope is the team you're talking about - there was still so much going on with that team, including terrible managing and lineup making by Manager Mike Sciosia.

    But when you add big names like the Upton brothers to your team and think so much of it, then lets see how much of an impact they both have on your teams chances to making the post-season. I don't think they will be that great. We will see what teams outfield has the best stats at the end of the year.

    I'm just glad the DBacks were finally able to get rid of him. He needs to know this is not basketball or the NBA.
    I'm sure he is aware of this


    The Cult of Gattis

  7. #502
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    21,732
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
    Even if the Angels were the best OF by far - which I hope is the team you're talking about - there was still so much going on with that team, including terrible managing and lineup making by Manager Mike Sciosia.

    But when you add big names like the Upton brothers to your team and think so much of it, then lets see how much of an impact they both have on your teams chances to making the post-season. I don't think they will be that great. We will see what teams outfield has the best stats at the end of the year.

    I'm just glad the DBacks were finally able to get rid of him. He needs to know this is not basketball or the NBA.
    You'll think the Yankees OF is better regardless because you use archaic stats.

  8. #503
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    35,621
    vCash
    1000
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
    Even if the Angels were the best OF by far - which I hope is the team you're talking about - there was still so much going on with that team, including terrible managing and lineup making by Manager Mike Sciosia.

    But when you add big names like the Upton brothers to your team and think so much of it, then lets see how much of an impact they both have on your teams chances to making the post-season. I don't think they will be that great. We will see what teams outfield has the best stats at the end of the year.

    I'm just glad the DBacks were finally able to get rid of him. He needs to know this is not basketball or the NBA.
    My team? Do you think I'm a Braves fan or something?

    The Upton's are big names without big production (yet). They are being vastly over-rated in this thread. But they should be a good outfield this year, and yes, better than the Yankees.

    The Angels were the best outfield in baseball last year. And by a very large margin. Mainly because of Mike Trout and the fact that he was by far the best player in the game by at least 4 wins individually (that's a **** ton btw).

    They lost Tori Hunter and are replacing him with Josh Hamilton. And while Hunter had a great season last year, one of the best of his career, Hamilton should be able to replace that production without much issue (as long as he is healthy of course, 120+ games should do it).

    The Angels have the best outfield in baseball. The Cardinals, Braves, A's and Brewers are basically 2-5. The Yankees are the next class down (maybe even further down than that) with the O's, Nationals, etc.

    The Yankees basically have a league average outfield. Not much upside either to be much better than that. I would be absolutely floored if they pulled out a top 5 outfield this season. And that would only happen if any of the below things happen:

    Granderson pulls out a career year season and hits 50 while improving his defense
    Gardner plays a career best season while keeping is defense where it has been
    Ichiro plays like it's 2004 and finds the fountain of youth.

    And even then, I don't know that it would be a top 5 outfield...even with all of those things happening together.

    They really should swap Gardner and Granderson in the outfield as well. Would really help things.

  9. #504
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,568
    vCash
    1500
    You aren't telling me anything I don't already know.

    I don't crown the Angels the best right away just because of Trout's rookie year. Anything can happen to him and same thing with Hamilton. Hamilton got his big deal now, see how focused he stays now and how much he can do playing in a new home stadium.

    At the end, the Yankees can definitely be the best OF. I put the O's and A's right with them too. I don't believe too much in the Cardinals OF right now. And I didn't need to go look at a list of teams with the top WAR ratings to know that either.

    The game isn't played on paper, jack. That's a thing you stat nerds don't realize. You can't predict what OF will actually be best, obviously everyone would pick the Angels. I wouldn't put the Braves up there. I want the Yankees to finish with the best OF and it is very possible too.

  10. #505
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    35,621
    vCash
    1000
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
    You aren't telling me anything I don't already know.

    I don't crown the Angels the best right away just because of Trout's rookie year. Anything can happen to him and same thing with Hamilton. Hamilton got his big deal now, see how focused he stays now and how much he can do playing in a new home stadium.

    At the end, the Yankees can definitely be the best OF. I put the O's and A's right with them too. I don't believe too much in the Cardinals OF right now. And I didn't need to go look at a list of teams with the top WAR ratings to know that either.

    The game isn't played on paper, jack. That's a thing you stat nerds don't realize. You can't predict what OF will actually be best, obviously everyone would pick the Angels. I wouldn't put the Braves up there. I want the Yankees to finish with the best OF and it is very possible too.
    Just to keep this in perspective.

    Holliday > Gardner
    Jay = Granderson
    Beltran > Ichiro

    And the Cardinals back up outfielders are better than the Yankees backup outfielders.

    How on earth is the Yankees outfield better then even the Cardinals? Who aren't better than the Angels themselves.

    This is just one example, one team.


    Nice stat nerd sling though, really makes me bow to your assertions more readily.

  11. #506
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,796
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
    You aren't telling me anything I don't already know.

    At the end, the Yankees can definitely be the best OF. I put the O's and A's right with them too. I don't believe too much in the Cardinals OF right now. And I didn't need to go look at a list of teams with the top WAR ratings to know that either.

    The game isn't played on paper, jack. That's a thing you stat nerds don't realize. You can't predict what OF will actually be best, obviously everyone would pick the Angels. I wouldn't put the Braves up there. I want the Yankees to finish with the best OF and it is very possible too.
    Pretty much sums it up. Your not going off performance your going off the Yankees being the team you follow.

  12. #507
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    4,083
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
    You aren't telling me anything I don't already know.

    I don't crown the Angels the best right away just because of Trout's rookie year. Anything can happen to him and same thing with Hamilton. Hamilton got his big deal now, see how focused he stays now and how much he can do playing in a new home stadium.

    At the end, the Yankees can definitely be the best OF. I put the O's and A's right with them too. I don't believe too much in the Cardinals OF right now. And I didn't need to go look at a list of teams with the top WAR ratings to know that either.

    The game isn't played on paper, jack. That's a thing you stat nerds don't realize. You can't predict what OF will actually be best, obviously everyone would pick the Angels. I wouldn't put the Braves up there. I want the Yankees to finish with the best OF and it is very possible too.
    So let me get this right. You're saying that people who use statistics to try to evaluate the most likely outcome are nerds who don't know what they're talking about but any team can hypothetically have the best outfielders next season, and since the Yankees qualify as a team so they have as good a chance as anyone, and that's why everyone else is wrong. That's your argument, right?

  13. #508
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,166
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
    You aren't telling me anything I don't already know.

    I don't crown the Angels the best right away just because of Trout's rookie year. Anything can happen to him and same thing with Hamilton. Hamilton got his big deal now, see how focused he stays now and how much he can do playing in a new home stadium.

    At the end, the Yankees can definitely be the best OF. I put the O's and A's right with them too. I don't believe too much in the Cardinals OF right now. And I didn't need to go look at a list of teams with the top WAR ratings to know that either.

    The game isn't played on paper, jack. That's a thing you stat nerds don't realize. You can't predict what OF will actually be best, obviously everyone would pick the Angels. I wouldn't put the Braves up there. I want the Yankees to finish with the best OF and it is very possible too.
    Usually when you make predictions, you go off stats, especially in baseball. I mean, i can sit here and say stuff like this too. The Giants will hit the most home runs in the league, not because of stats, but because that's what i feel. Keep posting like this and you will be ran off this forum soon.


    True MVP 49ers 2012

  14. #509
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,196
    vCash
    1500
    I don't even think the Yankees are the best OF in the division. Melky and Bautista are better than anyone in the Yankees outfield.

    Additionally, you can't help feeling that the braves overpaid for BJ Upton, considering his previous performance. Also: what's the point of having BJ AND Justin? BJ has been mediocre offensively for the past 4 seasons. Why do you want a guy like that taking up a corner outfield spot?

    Love this trade for the braves, but the offseason on the whole leaves something to be desired

  15. #510
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Kris Medlen's Bed
    Posts
    10,024
    vCash
    1500
    BJ is in CF and is a pretty good CF


    The Cult of Gattis

Page 34 of 39 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •