Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 31 of 39 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    You spend enough time following prospects and you would be stunned how many "potential #1s" are out there.

Here's a 2012 scouting report from one of the better individual scouting report websites out there:

http://baseballprospectnation.com/20...o-teheran-rhp/

It opens with:

The guy has always been fairly hittable for a supposed future #1, and he's only once put up the kind of K rates a future #1 kinda prospect puts up.

I can easily name 10 more valuable minor leagues btw:

Taveras
    Profar
    Myers
    Baez
    Bogaerts
    D'Arnaud
    Zunino
    Bundy
    Fernandez
    Cole
    Walker
    Skaggs

Got to 12 before I even had to think about it, and could probably keep going:

Hamilton
    Sano
    Lindor
    Yelich
    Taillon
    Bauer
    Wheeler
    Bradley
    There's no way Zunino, D'Arnaud, Cole, Walker, Bauer, Taillon, Wheeler, Bradley and a host of those others are more valuable. Teheran is basically those pitchers 2 years ago. Dylan Bundy is the only low level pitching prospect that's definitely worth more. I know you're basing this on BA's top 100 or whatever, but that doesn't do the real picture justice. Those lists are made to sell magazines, and therefore they want new prospects to be excited about. Talk to any GM and they'll take a ML ready potential ace before any low level prospect. Guys like Taveras and Profar are worth more because of how advanced they are along with their ceilings.

vCash
    Justin Upton is horrible. If Chipper Jones ends up managing there then he won't get along with him one bit. Kirk Gibson couldn't stand that clown.

I like Arizona making a big trade. Prado and Delgado can do much more for Arizona. Arizona has a buttload of pitching now. That's how you need to dominate in the NL West especially. Now they have both the Upton bros. I don't know if that's really a good thing when both guys are already considered to be slackers or have that "smooth style" that people don't like.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flea View Post
    There's no way Zunino, D'Arnaud, Cole, Walker, Bauer, Taillon, Wheeler, Bradley and a host of those others are more valuable. Teheran is basically those pitchers 2 years ago. Dylan Bundy is the only low level pitching prospect that's definitely worth more. I know you're basing this on BA's top 100 or whatever, but that doesn't do the real picture justice. Those lists are made to sell magazines, and therefore they want new prospects to be excited about. Talk to any GM and they'll take a ML ready potential ace before any low level prospect. Guys like Taveras and Profar are worth more because of how advanced they are along with their ceilings.
    There's plenty of way those guys carry more value and trade value right now. Those magazines made to sell and sensationalize were Teheran's biggest proponents of his supposed super ace upside. I also didnt need a list to think of the vast majority of those names.

All those pitchers mentioned could be said to have #1 upside. Throw Danny Hultzen on the list of still prospects I would take over him. Give me Fernandez and possibly Biddle by next year over Teheran just within his own division.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flea View Post
    Right now in trade those guys are all worth more. That's why Teheran wont be traded. Atlanta would rather let him completely bust than trade him at his current value, which is definitely lower than all of the guys you just listed.

vCash
    Im pretty jealous the Braves have both Uptons plus Heyward in the outfield...its so crazy.

vCash
    His value is low, relative to what it's been, to be sure. But on an open market? ML ready pitching is what every single team is looking for. Teheran would have probably gone straight up for 3 years of Upton. I follow prospects, and especially Braves ones, like the rest of the baseball world but I think the recent hype with BA and BP top 100s has obscured true trading value. It's not necessarily the case that the #1 BA prospect is the most valuable one. Case in point: Wil Myers.

vCash
    I'm going to go ahead and assume you're a Braves fan. Teheran straight up for Upton? You are one of those people who has had trade value obscured by those top 100 lists.

vCash
    Look at this pot with his kettle. No, I'm not obscured. Blockbuster trades aren't generally done straight up so it would have likely included lesser prospect shuffling but I guarantee Teheran was the first word out of Kevin Towers's mouth when trade dialogues started. You can simper and equivocate all you want but it won't change the value of ML ready pitching to MLB teams. Nobody is saying that in a vacuum you might want a Bundy or Taveras, or that the Astros would be better off with a Tajuan Walker than a Julio Teheran - but those are outliers.

vCash
    Your garauntee over what you believe was said has less basis in truth or anything really than you seem to believe. I'm not even sure what the second half is supposed to mean.

If you believe that Upton for Teheran would and could be a one for one type deal then you are most definitely overvaluing the ever living crap out of a top prospect. Blockbuster trades like that don't happen because one prospect is not worth a potentially elite 25 year old who's at worst a solid starter who can give you 30 HRs in a given year without a major breakout.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoCubsTalk View Post
    The Braves outfield is the best in the league on paper.
    Do you mean the best in name recognition?

Because I don't believe they are the best outfield in baseball.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    Do you mean the best in name recognition?

Because I don't believe they are the best outfield in baseball.
    Nobody is the best til we what what the season brings. Now, you can say you don't believe they WILL be the best outfield in baseball....

vCash
    Teheran clearly isn't MLB ready and no way in hell was worth three years of Upton. Just because he once was the top prospect doesn't mean his value can't go down. He is a B prospect right now. How big of a homer can you be?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoCubsTalk View Post
    The Braves outfield is the best in the league on paper.
    Uh no, sorry.

Angels outfield Josh Hamilton, Mike Trout, Peter Bourjos.

I'd even take Granderson, Ichiro and Gardner over the Braves outfield.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
    Uh no, sorry.

Come on now

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
    Uh no, sorry.

Page 31 of 39 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast