Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Groundhog's Day: Patience Should Pay Off Soon

You could look at it two ways...SA is waiting until the last minute to try to sign an outfielder, 5th starter and reliever (in case Pedro and Tim aren't ready) and he can end up looking cheap as the FAs sign elsewhere or look like a genius when a couple of good players (Hairston, DYoung, Jurjjens, Marcum, Capps or KRod) fall in his lap at the right price. Most FAs don't like to start February with no idea where they're going to play. Maybe patience will pay off in the next ten days....I'm betting it will. There is no way Duda, Nieuwenhuis/Cowgill and Baxter start the season as our outfield starters...we cannot rely on Baxter as a starter (though he will always be remebered fondly for sacrificing his shoulder to save Johan's no-no). Let's see what the roster looks like on Groundhog's Day...will we be waiting six more weeks excited about the coming Spring or shivering in the face of our six year long hibernation in 4th place continuing until next year... hoping not to hear 'I've Got You Babe' playing on the clock radio?
    Bob
    Met fan since 1969

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rdg515 View Post
    You could look at it two ways...SA is waiting until the last minute to try to sign an outfielder, 5th starter and reliever (in case Pedro and Tim aren't ready) and he can end up looking cheap as the FAs sign elsewhere or look like a genius when a couple of good players (Hairston, DYoung, Jurjjens, Marcum, Capps or KRod) fall in his lap at the right price. Most FAs don't like to start February with no idea where they're going to play. Maybe patience will pay off in the next ten days....I'm betting it will.
    Well...one down and two to go. Marcum averages 12-8 3.60 a year....his arrival may soften the blow of losing Dickey if he can win between 12-15 games and buys time for Wheeler and a second half depth for an aching Santana. Cannot believe DYoung signed for one year at $750,000K with Philadelphia---it's like the Ibanez signing years ago---Philly grabbed a solid bat for a low price and he played well for the next three years...why didn't we get DY??? A veteran reliever and maybe Bourn and this team could contend.
    Bob
    Met fan since 1969

vCash
    I'm glad the Phillies got Young personally....abominable defense and plate discipline.
    "We're snakebitten, baby." --Fred Wilpon

vCash
    I hate when people bump their own threads and quote themselves.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ5382 View Post
    I'm glad the Phillies got Young personally....abominable defense and plate discipline.
    But they got him for one year at $750k not $7.5m....they're gonna look like geniuses just like when they signed Ibanez for a low price....he only helped them to three pennants and a world series.
    Bob
    Met fan since 1969