Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Is Rodgers a good leader?

By Rob Reischel, Packer Plus writer
    Jan. 22, 2013 | (191) Comments
    Green Bay - Their season had been done approximately 14 hours.

Aaron Rodgers, one of the leaders of the Green Bay Packers, sat alone at his locker, staring aimlessly around the room. Rodgers was asked if he'd talk about the season that just ended.

"Nope," Rodgers said.

Instead, Rodgers began eavesdropping on an interview linebacker Desmond Bishop was conducting.

After each question, Rodgers made a snide remark about the queries loud enough for anyone within earshot to hear.

"I can't believe they'd ask that," Rodgers said.

"Nice question," he said another time.

Finally, doing his best Drew Rosenhaus, Rodgers bellowed, "Next question."

Instead of preparing for the NFC Championship Game, Rodgers was now critiquing reporters.

It's this type of leadership that had some taking shots at the 2011 most valuable player this season.

Make no mistake about it: Rodgers is one of the NFL's elite players. He had the league's highest passer rating for a second straight season (108.0), was second in touchdown passes (39) and was as careful as ever with the ball, throwing just eight interceptions. Rodgers took 51 sacks during the regular season, more than any other NFL quarterback.

At just 29, though, Rodgers figures to be in his prime the next three or four years and should keep the Packers among the NFL's top teams.

But is there a disconnect between Rodgers and some of his teammates?

While no Packers players have publicly criticized Rodgers, the signs began in September, when Blake Baratz - the agent for Packers tight end Jermichael Finley - took to Twitter to rip Rodgers.

"ARod is a great QB he isn't a great leader," Baratz tweeted. "There's a major difference. Leaders take the blame & make every1 better. He doesn't."

In October, CBS' Shannon Sharpe ripped Rodgers on the air. The Packers organization believed that the leak came from one of its own players.

"Aaron Rodgers . . . he strikes me as a guy that, it's always someone else's fault other than his own," Sharpe said. "I'm not so sure, I'm not so sure, that deep down inside, how well his receiving corps really likes Aaron Rodgers.

"I tell you what else, just because you're a great quarterback and an MVP quarterback that doesn't make you a great person. There is a difference between the two."

Rodgers later called those comments "stupid" and "uninformed" on his weekly radio show.

Then in December, Greg Jennings' sister Valyncia took to Twitter and tore into Rodgers during the regular-season finale against Minnesota.

Among Valyncia's stream of tweets was this zinger:

"ARod is the most overrated QB in the league! He is no where near Peyton or Brady! It sickens me, Peyton would avg. 5 TD with this squad!!!"

In addition, Rodgers probably didn't win any points from coach Mike McCarthy when he openly campaigned for Evan Dietrich-Smith to be his center and for Randall Cobb to stop playing special teams.

Rodgers also ripped the scout-team defense in early October after the Packers offense started the season slowly.

"For whatever reason, the rookies have not picked up what the practice tempo looks like or the importance of the scout-team looks as well as maybe it's been in the past," Rodgers said on his radio show at the time.

"There needs to be a level of professionalism that is current through the entire team from the veterans to the rookies that they kind of understand how each part of the day adds to the preparation."

Three Packers defensive coaches later took issue with Rodgers' opinion. And one national talk show host called Rodgers' comments "a lame excuse."

A little more than a decade ago, Brett Favre was in the process of becoming larger than the Packers organization.

Green Bay must now do all it can to ensure that never happens with Rodgers.

One reason Rodgers may have slipped to the 24th-overall selection in the 2005 draft is he was perceived as a know-it-all by many scouts and executives. Rodgers did not display that early in his Packers career, trying to prove that he was the anti-Favre.

Rodgers, who took a class on leadership in college, used many of those lessons early on to win points in the locker room. And even as his leadership was questioned this season, he talked about wanting to be a role model on and off the field.

"As much as I wanted to be remembered as a great player and win more championships here, which I think we can do," Rodgers said on his radio show last week. "I'm going to be as aware of the kind of person I am remembered as I move forward.

"Hopefully, I can take after my Packer role model, Bart Starr, who's remembered and thought of as much for his character as the way he played on the field."

While the Packers have one of the league's top starting quarterbacks, their backup position remains cloudy.

Graham Harrell was the No. 2 for all 18 games and threw just four passes. Harrell failed to wow anyone last summer, and he will be challenged in training camp by strong-armed rookie B.J. Coleman and whomever Green Bay might add to the roster.

"The longer you're in an offense, the better you know it and the more comfortable you get and the better player you'll be," Harrell said. "This year was great for me and huge for me, so hopefully, I'll get to have another great year next year."

This article appears in Packer Plus magazine, a weekly print publication separate from the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.
    Aaron Rodgers' reputation as a leader took some hits this season

I don´t know what if Rodgers is a good leader or not and I think you can argue about it. But this article is total garbage. Jenning´s sister, Finley´s agent and Sharpe are your key sources? That is BS.

So is Rodgers a good leader or not?

vCash
    I'm a little torn on this topic to be honest. Obviously I'm not in the locker room so I clearly have no idea what type of leader he is. I can definately see the point that this writer is trying to make. After listening to his radio show some, it does kind of sound like he thinks he's a very smart guy. I could also see how if he's frustrated, how he could come across as a real jerk too. But its easy to write an article like this and pick and choose quotes and comments from an entire season worth of press conferences and radio shows, and make him sound like a jerk.

I guess we will never know what kind of person he really is in the locker room. I haven't really heard any players directly complain about him. We've been super successful when you look at overall record the last 3 season. I guess you really can't ask for much more than that. If he's arrogant and a pain in the locker room, it obviously hasn't affected us all that much. Plus its not like there's some sort of rule out there that says the qb has to be the vocal leader of a locker room.

I've heard that there were people in the locker room that didn't like Favre and he was successful. I'm sure you can look at almost every great qb, and there's someone in the locker room that wasn't happy with him. I guarantee that there's no one out there who's at the top of their game that hasn't pissed someone off at some point.

Also, I think I'm going to give him at least a little bit of the benefit of the doubt because the guy does a ton of good charity work. I know that doesn't mean he's a great leader, but that has to mean he's at least an okay guy.
    Last edited by crewfan13; 01-23-2013 at 06:05 PM.

vCash
    He's better than Jay Cutler.

No but seriously I think your not going to be able to please everyone. Not everyone is going to like you or agree with your methods. I do believe most of the players on the team respect him as a leader on this team.

vCash
    He's as accurate as a passer has ever been once he releases the ball it is up to the person he throws it to to catch it.... The question being asked is sort of a loaded question because all we hear is the much Garbage being spewed by people that actually have less brains and actually have a personal agenda to make such fruitless claims.
    ~
    Catch the Ball Finely like you did towards the end of the year and the ball will come your way. Hey Greg you were hurt most of the year and even though your Sister thinks other wise I really wish you the very best in Miami where your Sister can complain if Greg would have stayed in Green Bay he would have 1500 yards receiving because where he goes most likely will be a team that has serious needs...
    ~
    So I could care less if he is a good leader or not he's a great QB and if you work hard he's going to get you the ball... One of the problems with having serious talent on that side of the ball is too many people crying for the ball and the lime light a lot...

vCash
    Rodgers is arrogant and he kind of has a big mouth. Not saying that is a bad thing, but it's the truth. He's always going to voice his opinion whether it's a negative opinion or not. I always get that impression from him when he does his radio show that he's one of those guys that thinks his **** don't stink.

That being said, I wouldn't trade him for anyone.

vCash
    Aaron Rodgers is arrogant. He was not his first couple of years in the league because he was a nobody, but when you evolve into arguably the best pure passer the league has ever seen and you know it why not be confident in your abilities?

Hell, Rodgers is frustrated. Every time he loses in the playoffs he isn't to blame. That's all the man cares about as he has stated over and over. He doesn't play for stats. He doesn't play for pro bowls. He doesn't play for trivial reasons. He plays TO WIN THE FREAKING SUPER BOWL.

Imagine putting your life work into something, get crapped on by basically everybody who's ever been involved in your football life until you became a star. Make the playoffs, put in all time level work and watch the defense give up 45+ over and over.

If he's a bad leader because he's frustrated with the unfortunate circumstances he's been dealt with, then maybe I have no problem calling him moody, bad leader, arrogant, azzhole, whatever.

vCash
    i heard the big unit Bill Michels talking about this today on 1250 WSSP..... I thought the reporter made some pretty good points in the story. That does not mean that I think Rodgers is a bad leader or whatever, but maybe MM needs to start getting him in check just a little bit, before he ends up like #4 did before he left Green Bay.... It seems like there was some sort of schism, or drama in that locker room all season.....and you are not going to win super bowls with a divided locker room

vCash
    Here we go again...
    http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/n...pscf85bcd0.png

vCash
    After reading this stuff, is there any tangible reason as to why anybody suspects hes not a good leader? Because somebody heard that somebody might think so is a reason? Really?

Lets look at it all in complete fairness. Two years ago, I watched a game with the Patriots vs. the Steelers. The Pats dominated but stalled out on a drive late in the game that could've put them up 3 td's. Tom Brady completely flipped out on the sidelines afterward and ripped all of his offensive teammates a new one. Nobody even blinked over it because Brady is everybody's golden boy(and with good reason, he's a phenomenal player and has been the model of consistency and a winner). But Jay Cutler yells at his OL because they can't block and people make a big story about it.

I find his comments about the practice squad to be a bit odd. Not sure I understand it but I'm fairly sure it was part of a larger scale conversation and that one quote was concentrated on. Usually how it goes.

Finley's agent is an idiot, and so is Finley if he believes anything that guy tells him- as said before he needs to just catch the ball.

And as for Jennings's sister? Didn't Jennings have like 8 catches in that game? What exactly was she complaining about? Furtermore, why does anybody care what Greg Jennings's sister have to say in the first place?

And what exactly is the point of that bit in the article about him making fun of the media? They very well may have been asking stupid questions. Bobby Knight used to give reporters hell for asking stupid questions and theyabsolutely deserved the responses from him that they got. The world needs somebody to do it.

The way I look at it all is very simple. Guys aren't leaders because they're a nice guy or because they're agreeable all the time- they're deemed a leader because they perform. Anybody wanna try to make an argument that Rodgers doesn't do that? I thought not. Its kind of like being a manager in the work place. You're not paid to be everybody's friend, you're paid to make sure the team that you're in charge of wins(in terms of reaching assigned goals).

I'll say this, though. Based off of Rodgers 'lobbying' for EDS to be his center and for Cobb to be a full time receiver instead of a returner, and then the defensive guys not really sounding like they believed in the gameplan and what their assignments were, theres obviously some lack of unity. Slippery slope- once players stop believing in what they're being asked to do, it goes downhill very quickly.

vCash
    I think Rodgers was partially to blame for the whole Finley mess. It often looked like he was consciously deciding ahead of time that he wouldn't throw to Finley - often to the detriment of the offense. Forcing a ball to someone who isn't open rather than an open Finley just doesn't make sense. You could see later in the season when Finley started getting targets more regularly or in spurts that our offense was improved.

That's really the only big issue I have though. He doesn't seem like an especially good leader, but he's such a great player that it's okay.
    2014 Adopt-a-Packer: Micah Hyde

vCash
    I think there is some truth in the questions raised about his leadership.....although that said i dont believe there are that many people in the locker room that dont get along great with him. My only complaint....which is slight because we rarely get in that position would be his 4th quarter leadership. If we are down in the 4th quarter it just seems you can pretty much conclude that we wont win :/

vCash
    his leadership is not out proble, the defense is.
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    The only gripe I have is he seems to be a bit too combative with the press at times. Like with the 60 Minutes interview, he was upset with CBS and now wants nothing to do with them for a while. I understand having that chip on his shoulder made him who he is today, but I don't see how petty feuds with the press help at all. On the flip side, I don't see how they effect his play or leadership qualities either. I guess after the yearly fiasco that was Favre, I'd rather only hear about Rodgers from what he did on Sundays, rather than all this other stuff with the press and media. Maybe this stuff happens all the time with Manning and Brady and I just don't notice it, but I wish his demeanor outside of football would be more like theirs.

vCash
    Some of you guys are ****ing ridiculous.

vCash
    He's Aaron ****ing Rodgers. He can literally do whateverthe**** he wants to.

Did you not watch him in the Super Bowl a few years back? Dude was flawless, even now he is doing things that are simply breathtaking without much of a line around him and being one of the most sacked QB's in league (some his fault).

My point is, some of you blow my mind because here we sit with honestly, the best QB in the league and here some of you sit on you're keyboards discussing whether or not he is a good enough leader or not.

FML....I'm done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast