Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Lakers had a meeting before shoot around today

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers...,5793715.story

MEMPHIS -- The Lakers needed to talk. So they did. Loudly.

They held a clear-the-air team meeting before Wednesday morning's shoot-around, with Kobe Bryant very directly asking Dwight Howard if he disliked playing with the long-time Lakers star.

"Guys went at each other a little bit," said a person who witnessed the meeting.

Coach Mike D'Antoni started it by saying he was tired of reading newspaper stories about players questioning his offense or wanting more touches. Bryant and Howard each fell under that category after the Lakers' lifeless 95-83 loss Monday in Chicago: Bryant said the offense needed to slow down while Howard expressed displeasure after taking only five shots.

D'Antoni then told the team to stop worrying about offense and start playing better defense. The Lakers are fifth in scoring (102.6 points a game) but 26th in defense (101.4 points a game).

He then asked players to speak up. Steve Nash went first.

Nash, in his first season with the Lakers, said he didn't care how they played, whether it was via pick-and-roll or fastbreak or whatever. He just wanted everybody to be comfortable in the system. It was seen as a sacrifice by Nash, who played four seasons under D'Antoni's run-and-gun offense in Phoenix and won two NBA MVP awards while doing it.

Bryant also spoke up, acknowledging he could be "hard to play with" and asking Howard if that bothered him.

Howard's answer was unclear, though he did not engage Bryant in nearly as vocal a manner as Bryant engaged him.

"He didn't go back at Kobe," said the person who witnessed the meeting.

It was not known how long the actual meeting lasted, but the Lakers' shoot-around went an hour longer than expected.

Howard was contrite with reporters afterward, saying he was sorry for demanding more touches two days earlier. The meeting seemed to have affected him.

"It starts with me," he said Wednesday. "I have to be more of a player out there on the court and not worry about anything, not complain. Just do what I do best."

After scoring only eight points on five shots against Chicago, Howard kept telling reporters to "look at the stat sheet" after the game.

"That was immature," he said Wednesday. "I shouldn't have done it.

"I've just got to go out there and dominate defensively and make it tough for teams. I just have to get back to doing that and not worry about the offense."

D'Antoni, for his part, told reporters that the team would "maybe slow it down" on offense. He reiterated his defense-first assessment.

“The focus needs to be on the right thing. Our defense has to get better," D'Antoni said.

The Lakers (17-24) are lodged in 12th place in the Western Conference. They play Memphis on Wednesday night.

Howard tried to hit reset on the Lakers' season, which hit its midpoint Monday.

"I think this will be the start of a new season for us tonight. Hopefully our effort and energy is where it needs to be," he said.

D'Antoni used similar words in saying the team was "restarting" its season last week. The Lakers beat Cleveland and Milwaukee but lost three in a row after that.

vCash
    Lol Kobe "Am I hard to play with".

Love this. We will see how it translates into the game tonight. Or if it carries on after tonights game.

But doesnt hurt having these air out sessions!

vCash
    id pay to hear dwights response to kobe asking if he likes playing with him.

vCash
    I hope this is the change we need. As bad Howard went about asking for more touches, he is right. He needs 15 minimum in touches per game

vCash
    Well...after all Dwight went through in Orlando. Based on the accuracy of this reporting, I think it is safe to say that he will be walking and re-signing with another team for next season.

Kobe isn't going anywhere as he is the ALPHA of the Lakers...there is no way that Dwight is going to re-sign under those circumstances. As a Laker fan, I really could care less...Dwight isn't as good as was advertised...and this season is a lost cause. Dwight lost in Orlando, he is losing here for the Lakers (with this supporting roster!!), he will lose elsewhere. Dwight back-stabbed his coach last year, he will walk on the Lakers after the season.

vCash
    I am all for it if he finds good positions and does not turn the damn ball over!!! That has been his issue.

vCash
    Do you guys remember when Phil used to tell Kobe to pass more, and then Kobe wouldn't shoot at all for an entire half? He would do it almost as a "see what happens when I dont shoot". Kobe has matured and stopped doing that...but I have a feeling we could see that tonight. Kobe taking 0 shots in the first half.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cimos21 View Post
    Do you guys remember when Phil used to tell Kobe to pass more, and then Kobe wouldn't shoot at all for an entire half? He would do it almost as a "see what happens when I dont shoot". Kobe has matured and stopped doing that...but I have a feeling we could see that tonight. Kobe taking 0 shots in the first half.
    As long as he has 5 or more assisting have no problem with it..
    Lakers Wishlist...

Trade Pau for Iggy/Koufos or Ellis/udoh
    Resign Dwight
    Amnesty Kobe
    Hope Artest opts out
    Decline Meeks option
    Buy-out duhon
    Pray nash retires
    Tank 2013-2014 season

vCash
    I love this, let's get out there and whip some ***!!!!!

Let's get ready to Shiva!!!!!!!!!!!

vCash
    Disappointed in Howard not saying anything. I mean Kobe's trying to clear the air with him, and at least according to this report, he just kind of ignored him.

Say something man... don't just pout in the corner. How long I've waited for someone speak up to Kobe outside of Phil, Fish, Shaq or Brian Shaw.

vCash
    I'm glad this finally went down. Now lets see if they can put their big boy pants on and win 7 straight
    LAKERS/RAMS/DODGERS/UCLA/MAN U/MEXICO
    Shut it down. Let's go home.

vCash
    Words are words. Dont mean ish

vCash
    Laker fans has ben supportive long enuf. If they want a pat on the back, reach .500 hundred then maybe...

vCash
    I guess kobe and dwight arent as "close" as I thought they were off the court, it it took a meeting like this for kobe to ask him the golden question, after 5 months of playing together.

The fact that dwight didnt give him a direct response means they're still not comfortable with each other. I wish they would just be 100% open and honest with each other, like brothers. Instead, people still fear kobe's ego

vCash
    Bunch of grown ***** girls

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast