Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by InsaneBoost View Post
    This thread has taken a turn for the LULZ. Love it. Keep at it boys.
    HAHA, KBAX and I destroyed this thread! Some how you got lumped in too, collateral damage.

vCash
    I've come to terms with the fact that I have an eating disorder. But i've been told that what I consider an "eating disorder," others call "cannibalism." Of course I was upset when I heard the news of my problem, but I was devastated when the doctor told me that I had to stop eating red meat. Because now I have to move off the reservation.

Is that racist enough?

vCash
    My native american friend is from Texas and he doesn't care for football but he told me he roots for the Redskins because he is one. People who bring this issue to courts are money hungry. Most recently, the University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux were forced to change their name and that's not even remotely racist. They just couldn't afford to pay off the money hungry grubbers. Imagine a team called the Fighting Americans. Damn, I feel disrespected.

vCash
    I have Native American in me, and as said earlier, we're talking about a VERY small percent of Native Americans who believe it's racist. I find it EXTREMELY hard to believe they would have their own schools being called the Redskins if it were racist.

Like I said, if the name changes, that's fine, I know sign creators, I know flag makers, I will have all my stuff saying Redskins till the end, so it's no big deal to me. I would just hope it's something other than the Warriors. I think that name is tacky as hell.

Redskins | Nationals | Capitals | Wizards| D.C United

vCash
    The Washington Slapdicks

vCash
    Now we're talking Bulls. NOW WE'RE TALKING!!!!!!

Redskins | Nationals | Capitals | Wizards| D.C United

vCash
    It's gonna suck if the name is ever changed

FAAANDAAANGOOO!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kbaxter34 View Post
    I think im just so desensitized to it because I have always heard the name tied to my beloved home town football team since I was old enough to speak. It may or may not have been racist in the 17th century. All I know now is that Redskins refers to the football team in Washington DC. I have never once in my life ever heard anyone use the term redskin in a derogatory manner referring to native americans.
    Agree with this 100%.

FAAANDAAANGOOO!

vCash
    Here's a pretty well-researched account of the origins:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...100201139.html

Seems to me from the article that it most likely wasn't a derogatory term at all and that it very well might have actually originated as a native american term that later was used in a way that made some take offense to it. Back in the days when the term originated, the term "red skin" and "white skin" was just a simple way to distinguish between talking about groups of people of native american origin and European origin, basically lumping each into a simple category based on skin color when it was likely difficult to perceive one's true ethnicity based on tribe or country of origin, or when such distinctions didn't really matter.

But over time I can see why people would take offense at being identified solely by their skin color, and the roots of that lie in slavery. So it's a nuanced, complex issue. The term "African American" arose out of a sense that identifying people of African ancestry as "black" wasn't appropriate, but the term is still in wide use today and most people don't take any offense to it because they don't feel it's being used in a derogatory way. So I think it's a matter of how a term is perceived by the group that it is intended to identify. The situation becomes complicated, however, when some people may be taking offense to it based on erroneous ideas about its origins. I think it's clear that the team isn't using "Redskins" in any derogatory way. In fact, the opposite is true, so it's easy to see the merits of both sides. The question then is: does a group feeling slighted by the use of a term that, isn't rooted in racism, but has grown to become perceived in a bad way, trump the reality that it's not actually a slanderous term? That's not an easy question to answer and opinions will differ. In my opinion, since it's not universally accepted as a derogatory term, it depends on how many native americans are actually offended by it. If the majority of black people, over time, grew to find the term "black" as an offensive way to refer to them, I think the public perception would be that people should not then use that term anymore. I think the same is true for "redskins", so for me it's all about if we're talking about a small minority of native americans being offended based on bad information, or if it's a substantial percentage of the population.

vCash
    My father is on the Indian rolls in oklahoma. My high school I went to was nicknamed redskins. I have a lot of pride in being a good portion Indian and having a team named of my heritage. Lots of Indians feel the same way. Redskin is not a bad term to most Indians. It is a reflection of the pride we had as free people who fought a cause. People who whine and complain about stupid things like this are week people who have nothing to do but be miserable. I am proud to be of native heritage, proud to be called a redskin, because it is a badge of honor. I don't like sensitive people, they are weak.

vCash
    Coincidentally I am 3/4 Irish and 1/4 Indian.if they had named my team the fighting micks, I would have been just as proud. There is no room for weak people in this world unless your newborn, sick or geriatric

vCash
    Skins fan, I know a lot of black people in arkansas, they have no problem being called black, and most of them call each other nixxer. Not what I say, what I hear

vCash
    The truth is that most people barely remember Native Americans at all these days, if it wasn't for teams like the "Redskins", "Seminoles", and "Indians" people would probably forget they existed all together. I am I middle school history teacher and you would be shocked to see how many kids know nothing at all about Native Americans. They are a forgotten people, and the term has not been used as an racist term in over 150 years. Redskin doesn't mean the same thing it did in the 18th century. Today it only is a mascot name for a football team in DC as well as 70 some Highschools.

vCash
    It's funny how many people speak out about this who are not Native American and say we must change. Reality is that less than 1% of Native American people actually don't like the name. I remember the same people came out years ago saying the FSU Seminoles must change their name. Then the Seminole Indian tribe came out and said, hey what are you talking about we love the name, don't change it. People with too much time and nothing to do. Dumb! I wish we would stop comparing Redskins to the "N" word, not the same at all. People should research their history first before they just start puking up nonsence that somebody else is saying.

vCash
    Only way Danny boy changes our name is if a federal court makes him and that isn't going to happen, so lets talk about something else.

Go Redskins!
    Hail to the Redskins!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast